The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

HELP! I need Trackey installed in Tennessee

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The folks in the parts and service department where I bought my Boss do not have a clue about Trackey, and I really do not want to be the Guinea pig for them to learn.
If I can get it installed by someone with experience already, that is what I want to do. I am about 65 miles NW of Nashville, and don't mind traveling a bit to get it done right, the first time.

Thanks for any help. Email [email protected]

Jeff Quinn

It looks like I am the guinea pig for Knoxville. I bought mine from a dealer that has never done it before. This Thursday morning they are going to program for the trackey. I have to be at work in the afternoon. Anything special I should be concerned about? Wish me luck.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
They need to read the instructions and make sure they have the proper version of the laptop software they use to do these downloads, that's really it. The rest of it is mindless as long as they follow the instructions. Good luck, but you won't need it. And you'll LOVE the TK !

Sf, welcome to BMO and congrats on getting a BOSS. What color did you go with ? As for the Trackey another member posted this:

BossJockey said:
Lance Cunningham, ask for Jim Blandino (865-963-3140), he knows all about the trackey, and which tech to have do the work. And it should only be an hour labor.

I ordered my '13 from T Russell, won't see it for awhile (2nd qtr allocation). When I talked to their service rep abot the Trackey he did'nt have a clue what I was talking about, so I will be taking mine to Lance.

Frank

Thanks guys. It's just that I have been reading on hear about a lot of guys having trouble. The master mechanic said he's never done it but has been reading up on it. I will tell him today about the software update on the laptop so maybe hell be ready for me tomorrow.
I traded my Porsche 911 for this car because I wanted American muscle. I got a race red with white stripes #2829. I like it ok so far. I'm not really blown away like a lot of guys say they are. I'm hoping the trackey will make the difference.

Sfsmartp said:
Thanks guys. It's just that I have been reading on hear about a lot of guys having trouble. The master mechanic said he's never done it but has been reading up on it. I will tell him today about the software update on the laptop so maybe hell be ready for me tomorrow.
I traded my Porsche 911 for this car because I wanted American muscle. I got a race red with white stripes #2829. I like it ok so far. I'm not really blown away like a lot of guys say they are. I'm hoping the trackey will make the difference.
A good honest initial response. Can you elaborate on the characteristics about the Boss you don't find impressive? I'm assuming this is in comparison to the 911 you traded to get the Boss, right?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Sfsmartp said:

The TK should make a difference for you - engine braking and throttle sensitivity is much better than non-TK. Also, how many miles on her so far? My LS broke in nicely but slowly. Also, if you haven't had it out on the track yet you may have not seen what the car is all about (IMHO), it puts all that power down very well - especially with the right rubber. That all said, you are comparing the Boss to a formidable car, especially if you had a GT3 or better. You may find that the tail of the Boss is easier to keep in order than the 911. Hope you are happy with it once you have the TK and you're all dialed in !

jimprw said:
Sfsmartp said:
A good honest initial response. Can you elaborate on the characteristics about the Boss you don't find impressive? I'm assuming this is in comparison to the 911 you traded to get the Boss, right?
I'm curious too. As good as the Boss is there are two things that stand out to me as items that a previous Porsche owner might not like. They are the reduction of steering feedback and the occasional reminder that there's a live axle putting down all that wonderful high revving American muscle. Considering the initial purchase price and cost of ownership they are two items I can easily overlook.

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
Sfsmartp said:

First, find a dealer that has done previous Trackeys. I spent 11 hours over 2 days at my closest dealer with them on the phone with Ford Racing. It's boils down to the way their computer is configured and the tech's knowledge of how Trackey needs to be downloaded.Took under an hour at an experienced dealer. NO ISSUES!

Currently have a 01 996tt that I've tracked but it's more of a garage queen that a track beast. You can't really compare Porsche to the Boss. I LOVE THE BOSS but haven't had a chance to dance with her at the track. However, there are a number of differences IMO: Driving position, visability, particularly with the RT FT Corner, brake feel, steering feedback, and a higher center of gravity in the Boss. All of these things are better in the P-car. The Boss is DAM GOOD on the street and I'm sure it will show it's true character at the track but it doesn't/hasn't yet communicated as well as a P-car.

Remember, a Boss is $40 large and the P-car is $100+ large. It's a muscle car that actually handles and Ford set out to make it as good as they could given it's price point. I can't wait to take her on the track, bone stock, with the exception of brake fluid, brake cooling kit and tranny scoop. Reading comments and watching videos of guys that have taken their Boss out give me confidence that the Boss will not disappoint. Once you find how she suits your driving style, then look at pads, wheels & tires, maybe some suspension/chassis tweeks, then go out an embarrass some high priced Euro Iron.

Cheers!

Sfsmartp said:

Welcome to BMO fellow Knoxville Boss owner. ;D I think I saw your car at the Post office Tuesday.

I was the one that posted about Lance Cunningham Ford. If your dealer can't figure it out, take it to Lance.

These cars are a lot of fun and she will stick a lot better when it warms up some more. Trackey makes the car more raw / race car like, but don't expect a Dr Jekyll / Mr Hyde type difference.

Sfsmartp said:

Sounds like the car I saw at Jacky Jones, if yes, I hope their service dept is more knowledgeable and capable than the sales dept. Beware of Lenoir City service dept., a friend of mine ended up taking his Mustang to Lance.

Good luck

Yes I did get it from jacky jones. The sales lady was very good to me. And yes you may have seen it at the post office also. Anyway I did take it back to jacky jones this morning and got to watch them do the job. It took a little less than two hours and it was the first one he has done. I am happy with that. I feel better about the boss with the trackey. Much more low end torc and quicker response. I only have about 200 miles on her as of today so I haven't really run her hard yet. The Porsche spoiled me somewhat but I feel like I made a good choice with the boss. I'm looking forward to some track time. I am liking the boss more each day and the looks and complements I get driving the boss are amazing. Like you said you can't beat it for the price. American muscle has won be back over.

Don't get me wrong. I am a mustang fan from way back. It was my first car. I have had many of them from a supercharged 5.0 aftermarket to my 67 fastback built for drag racing. They kinda lost me with the 4.6 mustang. I went with the Porsche 911. This boss got my attention back and I think it's the best factory built mustang to date. You guys in Knoxville and around should get together with me sometime and let's take them on the dragon and cherohala. Give me a holla.

Getting my track key installed tomorrow at Marshall Mize Ford in Chattanooga. Maybe one weekend we could meet up and get acquainted.

Sounds good to me. The wife and I go to Chattanooga about once a month or so. Her daughter and son in law live there. What color is your boss? You will like the trackey by the way.

That is a sweeet car. That's what I wanted but couldn't find one. Did you get that in chattanooga ? Sorry I guess I'm getting of subject a little. I wasn't a fan of the red with white. It looks better in person than in the pics. As it turns out its one of the most rare colors I think. Not the most rare but in the top three I think. Is there a track there around Chattanooga?

Bought it in Macon, Ga. They had 3 blacks and 1 silver. Closet track other than Road Atlanta is Barbers in Birmingham. Going to VIR in Virginia Memorial Day with the SVT Cobra club. Will do a few laps.

TMO Supporting Vendors