The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Help installing 2 post lift in Maryland

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I figured since a lot of guys here have lifts this would be a decent place to ask:
My buddy has a 2 post lift he is trying to get installed in his garage. all he wants is someone to come in and measure and drill into the concrete. He has called several shops in the area but they either say they job is too small or they won’t do it because he didn’t buy it from them. He will do all the plumbing and connections. The work is about 2-3 hours and he said he just wants it in so if someone has to do all the hookups then he has no problem with that.
If someone has experience with their putting in their own lifts and is willing to help please let me know. Located in Odenton, MD

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
So installing a hoist isn't rocket science but I think the biggest reason someone might hesitate is the liability of the install. I installed my own hoist in the past and it was fine for me but no way I would do it for someone else. Things to consider....Is the slab level? Is the slab thick enough? Is it the correct concrete ? Whole different set of rules for 2 post vs 4 post as well.

Last edited:
Not trying to sound rude/argumentative, but the whole premise is flawed and that is why he is not getting response. If he wants to DIY, rent the drill and bit for the drilling part, which happens towards the end of the process anyway. Measuring happens *way* before drilling. So, you are asking someone to come do the measuring and layout, then let you do the other stuff for 6 hours (or more if not experienced) and then come back and do the drilling, not knowing if you did the rest correctly. And assume liability.

If one takes their time and is a little mechanical, 2-3 guys can do the install over several days. If it is your first, I wouldn't hurry, and remember that you are moving and adjusting some really big and heavy stuff.

Or hire the entire install out.

DaveW

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Sorry just seeing the responses.

I agree and understand all that has been said. To be honest, I was quite confused as to how someone can build multiple cars and have a problem with a lift but I said I would ask in my community for help if anybody was willing. From what I gathered he isn't comfortable drilling into his concrete and then realizing he messed up (I dont know how if all it is 4 holes each post). He understands it may not be worth someone time to come in and just drill the holes and mount the post, so he said he will be willing to pay for the entire install (mounting and connections).

Again, Im just the messenger and said I would find out what I can. Thanks for you all's feedback!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
all he wants is someone to come in and measure and drill into the concrete.
Also, by this I meant to mount the posts where all is left are the connections(plumbing/electrical). Not just put holes in the ground and leave.

TMO Supporting Vendors