The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Help installing Koni Sports.... Spring isolator sleeve won't fit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torsion said:
My Koni Sports (from Strano) came with a silly little insert that showed a table that would let you look up your torque specs for the top nut. The thing is... the top of the strut shaft is a crappy little hexagon with rounded edges. I couldn't find any of my sockets (metric or standard) that would fit it very nicely. I ended up stripping it while trying to torque down to what the sheet recommended. It made me sad.

The rest of the torque specs I got from the 2011 factory service manual http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=499

It wasn't along the lines of an 8mm or something like that?

The top of my strut shaft (for 2011+ Konis) is 11 mm. I just walked out to the ol' garage to check it.

The fit of an 11 mm socket didn't feel as bad as I remembered on installation day... so perhaps I chose the wrong socket then... and that could be the reason it stripped. The nut area isn't very tall for the amount of torque that needs to be applied.

But to verify, you'll want a 6-point 11 mm deep-ish socket.

Also, *my* reading of the pictogram torque specs table was that you'll want to tighten the nut to 59 ft-lbs.

One other note to add: I think playing with the adjustability of the Koni shocks is really cool. I was jacking with them all day today while running around town, just to understand the effect they have.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel