The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Help me spend money at SAFERACER!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I heard you guys are good at spending other people's money. So, I'm in need of your assistance :p

I was lucky enough to receive a $200 gift card at SAFERACER this year, but I'm having a hard time deciding on what to buy. So, what would you get?

Some of the things I was considering...
  • A neck restraint for additional safety that would work with stock seat belts.I was considering the Team Valhalla 360 restraint, but seems like it was designed for karting, and it has mixed reviews for car use.
    Anyone have first hand neck restraint experience with stock seat belts?
  • A new helmet. I have a Snell SA2005 rated one, which will become obsolete in 1-2 years. But it would be somewhat of a waste to buy a helmet now.
  • Maybe some Nomex underwear or gloves. Any preferences?

I was also looking at some car related items (e.g. fluids, pads, data acquisition) but they are kind of over-priced compared to forum sponsors and ebay sellers ::)

So, help me pick some items!

I received a pair of these in black from Santa and have been wearing them around the house. They are comfortable and should be fine for my use. Add a pair of Oakley gloves and you'll be set.

http://www.saferacer.com/sparco-race-shoes#!prettyPhoto

Tulsa, OK
EDIT: Didn't read all of your post...

I have a set of these and really like them:

G-Force gloves
http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-gf-g1-gloves

The sparco shoes look pretty good. may pick those up with a pair of fire rated gloves.

Wish I had a roll bar to purchase the 6pt. restraints

F.D. Sako said:
The sparco shoes look pretty good. may pick those up with a pair of fire rated gloves.

Wish I had a roll bar to purchase the 6pt. restraints

I would say save the money on race shoes, I have a pair of Asics wrestling shoes that work great and were 40 or less at Model's/Dicks. I would do gloves though since the Alcontera gets slick when worn down.

I did a quick search on wrestling shoes, and in fact they look very similar to racing shoes. The only reason why I want to go with racing shoes is the fire rating.

I already have sparco gloves that have alcantara material finger tips and palm, which work great with the boss steering wheel. I just have to check to see if they are fire rated, if they're not, then I'm going to pick up a rated set.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
roadhouse said:
EDIT: Didn't read all of your post...

I have a set of these and really like them:

G-Force gloves
http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-gf-g1-gloves

Ya know, a pair of those comes with every visit to Track Attack ;) I like mine too...

I missed my chance to go to Track Attack :-X

Ended up getting a decent tire pressure gauge, G-Force nomax bottoms, Sparco racing shoes, and alpine nomax balaclava. Payed a little over $50 including the SCCA discount.

I had read a lot of people like to use Converse Chuck Taylors for driving. I tried, and was miserable running around picking up cones in 96 degree heat. For AutoX you might want to bring a pair of running shoes for cone duty along with the Sparco shoes, since I bet driving shoes will not be much better with the thin sole. I am not sure which shoes would be good for double-duty. Anyone have any luck with that?

I used to own piloti prototipo couple of years ago. they worked well for double duty, but I did not own a manual trans car back then, so can't comment on how they'd feel for heel-toe. tho they felt great during left foot braking.

I wore the pilotis until the sole wore down, seems like they've redesigned the shoe and beefed it up a bit.

saferacer doesn't carry pilotis or I would've went with those instead.

NFSBOSS said:
I received a pair of these in black from Santa and have been wearing them around the house. They are comfortable and should be fine for my use. Add a pair of Oakley gloves and you'll be set.

http://www.saferacer.com/sparco-race-shoes#!prettyPhoto

Same shoes I have.

I like them alot.

Tulsa, OK
WinterSucks said:
I had read a lot of people like to use Converse Chuck Taylors for driving. I tried, and was miserable running around picking up cones in 96 degree heat. For AutoX you might want to bring a pair of running shoes for cone duty along with the Sparco shoes, since I bet driving shoes will not be much better with the thin sole. I am not sure which shoes would be good for double-duty. Anyone have any luck with that?

I wear converse chucks for track shoes and casual shoes pretty much all the time. I really like them and they're easy on the wallet :)

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I love my Sparco shoes and like the color too!. I have a pair of hi-tops as well as regular. These are both comfortable as hell.

2012Boss302289_zps71673e98.png

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel