The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Help needed identifying parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Corona, Ca
I bought a 2018 GT and am in the process of repairing it. It looks like the fuel line came off and started on fire. The fire burnt until the heater hose was breached and the coolant put out the fire.

The two parts circled I've been looking for but I have no idea where to look or what they are. I have a new harness and coil packs on the way but I have no idea what these two things are. I was guessing a fuel regulator as the one on the left but no idea on the right one.

I replaced the fuel hose and it started right up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_6785 2 copy.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
For wat its worth believe the one on the left is the high pressure direct injection pump and the one on the right is intake manifold runner control valve, they make lock outs for the runner controls is you don't want to have them opening and closing.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I bought a 2018 GT and am in the process of repairing it. It looks like the fuel line came off and started on fire. The fire burnt until the heater hose was breached and the coolant put out the fire.

The two parts circled I've been looking for but I have no idea where to look or what they are. I have a new harness and coil packs on the way but I have no idea what these two things are. I was guessing a fuel regulator as the one on the left but no idea on the right one.

I replaced the fuel hose and it started right up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

View attachment 70301
What up burn brother! What's with all the 2018 GT's blowing up, amirite? Not guilting you into checking out my shiznit of a build, but just fixed up the same situation, and you thankfully avoided some of the melting I did. Aaanyhow, back to the parts :

Direct injection pump -- JR3Z-9350-C
1637385346970.png

For the right one, do you mean the upper coolant hose, or that big bulky thing on the back of the intake manifold (CMCV - Charge Motion Control Valve)?

The intake manifold is sold as one complete piece, which is somewhat annoying, but ... it also comes complete, so you just drop it in, and switch some things over. You will have to swap over your throttle body (front) and the fuel rails (silver lines) and hopefully the burn didn't collapse the rest of your hoses. I bought just about all of them new to not have to worry.

Intake Manifold - JR3Z-9424-B
PXL_20211105_205928892.jpg

the one on the right is intake manifold runner control valve, they make lock outs for the runner controls is you don't want to have them opening and closing.
Spot on. They have some aftermarket ones, which if you look at the back, you should see this trigger arm that kinda rows them open or closed, tried to circle in yellow, but with the intake off it's much easier to see in person.
1637386895157.png
1637546840523.png1637546883033.png

So in this case, you could pop those valves off and put these in their place which prevent them from moving.

1637387023812.png

I'd figure you'd probably need to have somebody help with your tune if you're street driving, because I think you'd be losing out on low end torque, but if you're racing, how often are you below 2-3k on the track? Never, I hope.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Corona, Ca
What up burn brother! What's with all the 2018 GT's blowing up, amirite? Not guilting you into checking out my shiznit of a build, but just fixed up the same situation, and you thankfully avoided some of the melting I did. Aaanyhow, back to the parts :

Direct injection pump -- JR3Z-9350-C
View attachment 70307

For the right one, do you mean the upper coolant hose, or that big bulky thing on the back of the intake manifold (CMCV - Charge Motion Control Valve)?

The intake manifold is sold as one complete piece, which is somewhat annoying, but ... it also comes complete, so you just drop it in, and switch some things over. You will have to swap over your throttle body (front) and the fuel rails (silver lines) and hopefully the burn didn't collapse the rest of your hoses. I bought just about all of them new to not have to worry.

Intake Manifold - JR3Z-9424-B
View attachment 70308

Spot on. They have some aftermarket ones, which if you look at the back, you should see this trigger arm that kinda rows them open or closed, tried to circle in yellow, but with the intake off it's much easier to see in person.
View attachment 70309

So in this case, you could pop those valves off and put these in their place which prevent them from moving.

View attachment 70310

I'd figure you'd probably need to have somebody help with your tune if you're street driving, because I think you'd be losing out on low end torque, but if you're racing, how often are you below 2-3k on the track? Never, I hope.
Thanks! I do remember you fire video and I was like oh shiznit. This one looks like it was saved because of the heater hose burst put out the fire.

I'll get the parts ordered up to get it back up again. I'm deciding on whether I want to track this car as I just got a 2020 GT350R that I'll be definitely setting up to track.

62484141_Image_3.JPG

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Thanks! I do remember you fire video and I was like oh shiznit. This one looks like it was saved because of the heater hose burst put out the fire.
View attachment 70312
I'm pretty sure that and the fire extinguisher are what saved mine, but really eerie how similar they are. Yours burst at the pump to the line to the rail at the white plastic collar end, melted the passenger side electronics, and flames melted the top coolant/evap core hose at the firewall. I wonder now how many of us there are, as we're both 2018 GT's, first year runs.

If the intake is otherwise fine and you just need the CMCV actuator canisters, it may be best to reach out to someone like Bret Barber ( [email protected] ) who ports the 2018+ manifolds for clients using them in locked-out applications. He has a service where he performs the CMCV-delete conversion, so he may have some of those CMCV actuators just lying around that would otherwise end up in the recycling bin.

TMO Supporting Vendors