The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

help required with adjustable suspension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi Guys

I have a problem!

I took the boss to the track for the first time with 600miles on the clock

I started the session with the stock suspension set up and then decided to up to setting 3 for my next run to see the difference.

I started at the back firs and adjusted the right side no problem then went to adjust the left side and found that the screwdriver just spun at the top. As i fiddled to get into the slot, the red cap came of in my hand.

When i examined the red cap it has a suare lug that should go into the square slot on the damper only on mine its not square, see pics below

right side

passenger-side.jpg

left side

IMG_1125.jpg

So now i have the cap in my hand and cant put it back, i cant see how it was fitted in the first place

I've seen that before and the damper needs to be replaced which might be a challenge for you. Yours looks like someone tweaked on it but I've seen the red adjuster popped up like that on cars direct from the factory. Good luck.

Which track were you running?

Looks like the tool they use to screw on the top of the shock was out of alignment or pushed on too deep or something. Take it in and explain that it was like that the first time you looked at it. With 600 miles on it, they might believe you. From dealing with customer service, it seems things like that are up to the dealer to decide whether it was user abuse or manufacturing error as Ford CS will assume it is abuse. It took months of arguing with customer service to get them to replace my leaking caliper, though I had about 600 miles on it the first time I brought it in and asked them to fix it, and in the end it was the head of the local service department that pushed the warranty work through.

It shouldn't be an issue getting it fixed with that few miles. My caliper issue was the first time on any Ford I have ever had an issue getting warranty work done, so hopefully it goes smoother for you.

Also the wear on the red cap even on the good one looks odd, mine does not have any of the red rubbed off nor the marring on the bare metal tube.

None of your shocks adjustment heads shoud look used, scared, out of whack etc. someone didn't put it together right, period. If you bough a brand new car, it should look brand new, from ground up. Damn, we seem to start accepting more and more crap from dealers. They fix it or you get a lawyer. Period.

Note to self, check my shocks, after 14 months, 2800 miles I have not looked at them, no track time just street.
Good luck on getting yours replaced, keep us posted with the final results.

KYBOSSLS said:
Note to self, check my shocks, after 14 months, 2800 miles I have not looked at them, no track time just street.
Good luck on getting yours replaced, keep us posted with the final results.
That's a good idea. The red adjuster piece should fit down inside the silver piece like the first photo. If it's popped up you should have your dealer look at it.

Thanks for your thoughts, if you remember im in England so im going to have to e-mail the photo's to the dealer and see what he will do

ian

TMO Supporting Vendors