The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Help with removing smoke smell from interior

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F.D. Sako said:
try one of these.
My dad bought some mulch and soil a while ago with his new car... and the car stank like butt. This little pouch did a pretty good job, along with scrubbing the trunk. I haven't tried it with cig. smoke, but read the reviews and see if it's worth a try.

I just bought two. Thanks. They cleaned it and my wife went up last night and smelled the interior and said if was pretty good. She said if we rolled the windows even just a crack to get a little fresh air she would not be able to smell it, so all is good!

I have read up a lot on it, and am also going to be going in with baking soda and rub it in the carpet, seat, headliner and let it sit for a couple days before vacuuming it out. I am reading that helps bunches, and then buy a bottle of Ozium to spray around inside the car. Between all those I can get rid of it pretty well I think.

At any rate, I will take my family up so my girls can be with me when I buy it tomorrow. I would go right now but I want them to have that memory of buying it and driving it off the lot.

Put some moth balls under the seats in a baggie for a while,I put them in my car every winter to keep the mice and other rodents out during storage.Works very well,car smells new in the spring when I get it out.You may laugh at this but I tent in wilderness areas during hunting season,we through these all around our tents to keep the bears out of out tent,it works very well.Worth a try!

After my retirement from Bell Telephone 12 years ago I opened a small auto detail shop and frequently get calls and requests about removing smoke odor. You have been given much good advice in the above responses, and all I can really add is to thouroughly clean everything. I use lots of foamy carpet shampoo in aerosol cans on seats and carpets, and I use aerosol window cleaner, (Windex), on the headliner and gently remove the Windex with clean microfiber towels and gentle use of a shop-vac. It is very difficult to remove all the smell, but stay after it and it will get better every time you clean. Good Luck.

TMO Supporting Vendors