The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Help with removing smoke smell from interior

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Boss I had shipped in for me smells like an old ashtray. I am working to see if I can make a deal with another member (who I would love to make a deal with if possible) but in the meantime, trying to figure out what to do. My wife has a very sensitive nose, hates the smell of cigarettes, and even though I had asked about if the previous owner smoked in the car, they assured me it smelled good with no odors.

As soon as I opened the door, the ashtray stench hit me. Now my wife is saying she won't ride in the car with me, or let our girls be around the smoke smell.

Has anyone had to remove the smoke smell from a previous owner in the past? What works, what doesn't, can I be successful at it?

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
It will be tough with the cloth interior but I agree, have it professionally shampooed or, if you have a steam cleaner, go to town on it. Every surface has to be cleaned including the headliner, seat backs, package tray, and all surfaces including the plastic ones. Also, pull the seat belts all the way out and steam clean them. Smoke hides EVERYWHERE and you need to get it all out but it is possible. Might take a lot of cleaning and some days driving around with the windows open. Also, if you can park it indoors, leave the windows open. That helps also.

John

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I just fabreeze the crap out of it for a month or so every other day. Be sure to get the headliner most of the smell is in it. The sell smoke neutralizer in the auto parts stores but I have never tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have most of my BOSS interior parts for sale from race car conversion, including carpet and headliner. No seats, however.

If you're interested, we could do a deal--send a PM.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
^I was just going to suggest getting take-off part replacement. Headliner, carpet and seats are probably the most important to replace.

If you have an indoor place to store your takeoffs, have them cleaned and left there for a looong while. Sell them or the takeoffs you bought when they no longer smell bad.

I used Fabreeze once. It worked, but I used way too much and the car smelled like the inside of a Fabreeze bottle. Just a few squirts and repeat if necessary. That smell is awful in a closed car in the summer. Took a year for it to dissipate.

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
Do the pro cleaning on the seats, carpet, door panels but IMO the headliner has to be replaced, it's the main culprit. Classic example why I won't buy anything of high value ($$$) that I haven't touched, sat in, pushed he buttons, etc.

try one of these.
My dad bought some mulch and soil a while ago with his new car... and the car stank like butt. This little pouch did a pretty good job, along with scrubbing the trunk. I haven't tried it with cig. smoke, but read the reviews and see if it's worth a try.

You have that stench from a smoker(s) use in the Boss interior. Imagine what their lungs look like.I smoked for 20 yrs but quit COLD TURKEY in 1992 or my new bride to be would have nothing to do with me....Best decision I ever made...in more ways than one.. ;)

I had my company car cleaned that a chain smoker used to drive and I have a very sensitive nose for smoking. Can't stand it. Anyway, I took it to a professional car cleaning place and they used an ozone bomb or something like that. They let it sit overnight and I was shocked at the result. Couldn't tell. This was on a minivan with 110000 km on it.. So it was WELL smoked in.. I'd be very surprised if the professionals can't get you fixed up...

Was doing some reading about the Ozone method since my wife's car REALLY needs it. You can rent an ozone generator, but have to be careful how long you leave it hooked up since ozone can oxidize everything pretty aggressively.

Jimmer76 said:
I had my company car cleaned that a chain smoker used to drive and I have a very sensitive nose for smoking. Can't stand it. Anyway, I took it to a professional car cleaning place and they used an ozone bomb or something like that. They let it sit overnight and I was shocked at the result. Couldn't tell. This was on a minivan with 110000 km on it.. So it was WELL smoked in.. I'd be very surprised if the professionals can't get you fixed up...

I am very happy to read about this as it could really make life much more simple for me. I have not heard back from the guy with the low mile non smokers car, so I am probably going to take my chances on getting the smell out on the one that is here. And......I can't wait to pick it up. I certainly plan on having the windows at least 1/3rd the way down at any given time anyway.

Wait, you are buying it from a dealer? Make them fix it or better yet, knock off some of the price so you can have it done properly. I wouldn't trust a dealer to chew gum and walk at the same time.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
I would try something called Natures Miracle. It is normally used to eliminate pet stains/smells. It is all natural and uses enzymes to eliminate the odor at the source. I have never used it but have friends who swear by it. Just thought I would share. Good Luck!!!

VWGTI123 said:
I would try something called Natures Miracle. It is normally used to eliminate pet stains/smells. It is all natural and uses enzymes to eliminate the odor at the source. I have never used it but have friends who swear by it. Just thought I would share. Good Luck!!!

I smoke in mine, the windows are down but I know it doesn't help the people that don't smoke. Smells like a boss from the 70's. :) I really need to give it up I know, and typing it won't don't do it.

TMO Supporting Vendors