The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

While driving home today my Boss developed a loud metal to metal scraping noise. It is not motor related, but movement related IE wheels? In the car it sounds like the driveshaft is dragging the ground but that is not the case. At slow speed it sounds much worse. Anybody have any ideas?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
What if any work have you done lately? Brake pads need changing? Does the noise get worse when braking. Are all wheels tight? Is it based on engine speed or wheel speed? If you go to 30 mph and step on the clutch does it go away?, If you leave clutch engaged but put trans in neutral does the sound change. If you can put the car on jack stands and get under there and have your son rotate the wheels so you can pinpoint which corner.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Can you get it up on jack stands and check it out from below the car? Look for the obvious and rotate the wheels by hand like Steve says. Or just jack up a corner and rotate the wheels one at a time. If the noise is wheel rotation based then pull that wheel off and check it out.
I would be hesitant to drive it.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Simplest issue and easiest to fix is a rock which has gotten between the rotor and backing plates or caliper.

Can sound terrible, loud scraping squealing sound.

Find it and fish it out, problem solved.

Check this first.

No cost fix.

This!
TMSBOSS said:
Simplest issue and easiest to fix is a rock which has gotten between the rotor and backing plates or caliper.

Can sound terrible, loud scraping squealing sound.

Find it and fish it out, problem solved.

Check this first.

No cost fix.

This started as I was just getting on a curved entrance ramp to the Merritt parkway. The road was backed up because of a car blocking the rt lane so I never got up to speed. That's when I heard the noise (merging in the slow moving traffic) There's been no work to my car recently so I'm hoping that rock in my brakes theory is right. The scraping sound is worst (loudest) at slow speed but lessons as you increase speed but never goes away. I truly believe this is not a drive train issue.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I just got my car back from the dealer and it developed an off the brakes squeal. It would go away when I braked. Turned out to be the metal anti rattle clip had broke off tabs allowing it to move and scrape the rotor. 8.99 for a new set at advanced and problem cured

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got a chance to work on this yesterday. TMSBOSS was right with his diagnosis! It was a small stone wedged between the rotor & the backshield on the right front wheel. It's amazing how horrendous this sounds when a small rock gets into the brakes like that!!!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
302BOB said:
Finally got a chance to work on this yesterday. TMSBOSS was right with his diagnosis! It was a small stone wedged between the rotor & the backshield on the front right wheel. It's amazing how horrendous this sounds when a small rock gets into the brakes like that!!!

Glad I could help.

TMO Supporting Vendors