The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Here is it! A real review of the GT350R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Car and Driver is on the ball now.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-gt350r-first-drive-review

ufnavy06 said:
Best performance car Ford has ever made? That's impressive praise right there.

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-one-of-the-very-few-things-that-could-be-improv-1727242935
Oh no it's not perfect.

"Shifting was also not perfect, as the Tremec gearbox was on the notchy side making race-quick 3-4 shifts problematic. Fortunately, with an engine that pulls hard from 3,500 RPM all the way to red line, shifting is more of an option than a requirement a fair portion of the time.

Finally, the Brembo brakes, while producing massive stopping power, were inconsistent. One corner you’d have normal pedal effort the next it would be hard briefly before dropping to normal effort. This most likely isn’t the brakes themselves but more likely the brake booster coping with the engines high RPM’s."

I was struggling with the clutch a bit but I'm sure I'd get use to it if I had more than three laps to test it. The brake pedal didn't feel as impressive as I thought it might. That's not to say they weren't powerful but maybe the stock pads aren't all that after all.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Oh I know it's not perfect. And those stock pads are going to swapped out by many anyways, because race car. Seems the feel of the clutch is getting to people. If you decide you don't want yours because of a few struggles with a clutch, I'll jump on that grenade.

"unqualified success" from Randy is all that needs to be said. But I'll take more ;-)

Now we just need Chris Harris to call it 'bonkers' and we'll be all set. Chris had a very favorable review of the '15 GT so I can't imagine him not loving the Shelby.

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
Shifting issues are not something I take lightly any more. Rick, by "struggling with the clutch" please tell me you did not mean "lock out" issues going from third to fourth.
The take up of the clutch is very light and high, a lot different than my car. It was just me getting used to it there were no issues with the clutch disengaging or shifting lockout. Both worked well. After my discussions with the engineers two weeks ago I doubt we're going to have issues like we did with the Boss.

The clutch felt very similar to the McLeod with pedal assist spring removed. The 350s engagement was adjusted with less pedal movement than my Boss but overall lightness and effort felt like my car.

Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors