The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Here's how Ford trains high-performance test drivers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have had the privilege of going for a ride along with a tier 4 driver on the low speed handling course at DPC. These drivers are at a totally different level of talented drivers. My father who had to supervise the test track on one saturday witnessed one of these drivers wipe the floor of Sir Jackie Stewart back when the 2005 Ford GT was being developed.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sir Jackie Stewart is probably in his late 70s, so not really an appropriate statement to make about one of the World's most respected racers -----we all get slower as we age , even legends like Stewart!

Sir Jackie Stewart is probably in his late 70s, so not really an appropriate statement to make about one of the World's most respected racers -----we all get slower as we age , even legends like Stewart!
No doubt he was a legend for sure. That day though prior to going out on track he was also making sure everyone knew who he was (this was back in 2005ish). Just a little humble pie served. Ford driver was no spring chicken either.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Stewart would have been 66 at that time , no longer racing, so I will give the 3 time Formula One World Champion his due --- nothing to prove and I would have expected a top notch Ford driver to be much quicker, frankly.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Ok, heck I am now older than Stewart was at the time , so I really think Ford should give me a shot at testing for them. I will give them a week of my expertise and if after that they don't think they can use me I will leave gracefully. Heh, one gets quite reasonable as they become older, right?!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors