The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hi, low and normal fluid temps on track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I saw someone post an answer to this question a couple of weeks ago but I can't find it for the life of me.
I'm adding oil pressure, oil temp and water temp gauges for track use and they will come with warning lights. What are the normal and upper/warning temps I should be using for each gauge?

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
You'll get varying answers here but for my own car I like to see oil under 260* and water under 220*. I would set a warning light at 275* for oil (assuming it's quality) and 225* for water. This is also assuming you will see the warning light and begin backing off a bit, not see it and keep driving through it to finish the session/lap/etc.

If your oil pressure gauge has a low warning...maybe around 20-30 psi? Those are tricky because you don't want the light going off while you're idling, but 30-40 psi under WOT isn't exactly ideal either for a coyote/mod motor.

Thanks for the info. I will have some good numbers to work with. I plan on also having a big oil pressure warning light in my line of sight so I don't miss it. After going through an engine detonation and being out of the game for all of 2022 I want to have better information.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
They're pricey, but the Autometer Elite series allows you to set both high and low alarm points. You can do something like warn in yellow if temp is low (engine still warming up), and warn in blinking red if too high. Plus they have 0-5v output for data logging and can activate relays for fans, pumps, etc.

TMO Supporting Vendors