The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hi some track oriented brake questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi! Was wondering if any of the racers could help me out on some brake questions. I have the Ford Racing ducts, braided brake lines, ATE blue brake liquid and rear dust covers off. Back on stock PFZ pads and ordered some Castrol SRF brake fluid.

Question 1)... My shop recomends I get Iron SRF discs with Hats from WILWOOD instead of the other Hatted alternatives from BAER or DBA with alloy rotors. Because of better cooling properties.

Question 2) Would getting a bigger rear disc from the 2013 GT500 help the cooling for the rear?? I have read that the lack of air to the rear and the small stock rear disc size is leading to overheating (link below).

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_280&products_id=606

I am over heating and boiling my brake fluid on one track that has a steep down hill straight away with a 90 corner at the end. Almost all the heavy cars are having the same problem (except cars like the GT-R, ZL1,,, and the dam Porsches).

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
All the cars listed without issues use a lot more rear brake than we do. Especially down hill, you will boil fronts easy.

Truth is a 2-piece won't cool any better. the stock pads are garbage and are likely causing your issues. A good track pad will fade less and allow you to be on brake for less time, which allows for more cooling time. If you want to discuss a pad that will make your experience on track a lot better, give me a call! I'd be happy to help and the pads are in stock.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks! I live in Chile so I have my Boss and I are a little off the beaten path!! Ideally I was looking for a Pad that would get me to the Track ok. The car is driven about 60% on road (about half of that getting to the tracks!), the rest is on the track. Was thinking of going to Hawk HP+ pads.

I think this fits the subject, I have EBC yellow stuff brake pads and although worked they great on the track with zero fade, when ever they get wet ( washing my car ) they stick to the rotors. If I forget and pull the e-brake they really stick hard because the pads have metallic components in them. Do track pads usually have this problem?

Splatter said:
Thanks! I live in Chile so I have my Boss and I are a little off the beaten path!! Ideally I was looking for a Pad that would get me to the Track ok. The car is driven about 60% on road (about half of that getting to the tracks!), the rest is on the track. Was thinking of going to Hawk HP+ pads.

I think I was following your thread on another forum.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
Splatter said:

Steve ( Pufferfish ) and perhaps other vendors or experts here will give you honest and solid advice. There are guys here that have experimented with pads...especially the one you list and will be able to tell you if this is a good option. It sounds as though you drive your car on the track fairly often. The advice might be to have track pads for your track driving and street pads for when you're not on the track. I've read several posts where guys change compounds at track side. Myself, I'm running more track oriented pads...something new for me so I can't give an honest evaluation as of yet.

Good Luck...the guys here will give you very valuable information / advice.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
I recommend Pagid pads. The rs56 rear pad can be daily driven and is a track worthy pad too. For the front he Pagid rs29 or rst2 pads are excellent. If you do more then half your driving to/from track events and at the track, you could probably drive that setup on the street without too much trouble. It's definitely a track setup but you could manage on the street too as he pads arent terribly abrasive it seems when they are cold. Contact Pete on this forum - he's a Pagid vendor and has helped me out with my brake setup

I'm not claiming to be an expert but good start on the SRF fluid. The HP+ will work for what you are doing with the car, they will make noise on the street but can handle the track heat. I and others have used them as beginners. With more experience I found they would wear out very quickly, if I was to use them now I would kill them in two sessions. Once you are more advanced (by "you" I mean anybody) look to a race pad, I and some others love the PFC 01 or 08 front and 97 rear. Other love their Pagid, Carbotechs, Hawk 60-70's or other brands.

As far as switching to the 13 Shelby rears without adding the 380MM up front and the proper module I was told not to by people I trust. Having said that I think there are a few here that have done this. Still that is not going to help with cooling, the SRF should have you covered there.

Hope this helps.

Everyone has good recommendations in here. Assuming you have factory brembos, I'd stick with the SRF fluid (any good fluid is a must) and track oriented pads. If you decide to go with a brand like Carbotech, which uses a ceramic pad (supposedly friendlier to rotors), make sure to turn all of your rotors and start with a completely fresh interface between pad and rotor, otherwise they will for sure pick up whatever pad material you had on there first and leave deposits/hard spots on the rotors. They're unlike typical track pads that have an aggressive "abrasive" stage, where you can clean off any previous material (assuming its from a street pad) left on the rotor as long as you don't head the pads up too much to get them into their transfer layer stage.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Ask 10 dealers of different pads and you will get 10 different opinions!

REAL track pads will all make noise on the street. The reason is they have an operating range that starts at a higher temp than can be obtained on the street. Until the magical pad comes put that has a 100-1600 degree operating range, you will compromise. Noise or fade resistance? HP+ is ok on noise and ok as a mild track pad. It's definitely a step in the right direction. When you find yourself compressing brake zones and carrying higher speeds leading up to the brake zones, you will find the HP+ is insufficient. The good news is pads wear quickly, so you will have lots of opportunities to find the perfect pad!

As for the post about ebc yellow stuff, yeah, they use a high amount of metallic which isn't commonly as high in other brands of performance pads.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Carbotechs, least road noise of all the brands I have tried to date (Hawk, Performance friction and Carbotech) and the dust is the easiest to clean from wheels and the car which will be alot with front ducts. For a Novice I would go with XP-16/XP-12 combo. SRF fluid is a great idea as well.
Steve

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks everyone, after talking to Pete at Trackdaysolutions decided to go with RS29/RS56 pagid pads with Castrol SRF. Still on stock rotors, if the pads work out well will get some DBA5000 discs.

If not then probably get the new GT500 disc set up later... though have heard some not so positive comments about them.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just a quick update!! Pagid RS pads from Pete at track day solutions where a great improvement. Got my track time down from 51.7 to 50.6 and the pads barely wore at all with almost no fade in six 15min sessions. It also helped when combined with Dunlop Dirreza II tires.

Thanks Pete, the Pagid pads worked great on the street when cold as you said.

I put a video up if any one wants to give some pointers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i-oDGsd_a4

Ill get more gopro vids up later.

Cheers!

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Also interested in feedback on the tires. Glad you like the Pagid pads - Pete is a great guy with good knowledge of these cars.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The tire size is 275/35-19 square on 9 and 9.5 OEM Boss wheels. They held up well with uniform wear and no chuncking. They really worked well with the brake pads. Even with three event old ATE blue the brakes fluiid they never let me down all day. I think I have about a second more to get off once a relearn my brake points. I wore down a BMW 135 until his brakes gave away before mine and I could out break the Caymans as well. WHat a difference compered to before when I was having to break way earlier then them.

I found I often would brake near my old points then realize I was a to early and would have to brake again, the pads still held up very well.

The DIrezza tires gave me 7km/hr more in the curve after the straight away and 5km/hr more in the sharp curve before the straight away. Thats compared to the Poleposition S04 275/35-19 285/35-19 I had before. No oversteer problems with the square setup even for a novice like me. Really gave me confidence. Just lifting off would tuck in the tail easily with no snap

As luck would have it my Castrol SRF arrived the day after my time trail... murphies law.

I posted a Gopro video as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-npyxbcRRr4

TMO Supporting Vendors