The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

High RPM clutch issue - Feedback from Ford

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzyzx

Steve
I decided to start a new thread on this issue since it's such a widespread issue among Boss owners who track their Boss, and since I got some rather interesting news direct from Ford.

My Boss is at the dealer now, and one of the things I noted was the high RPM clutch issue, explaining when it occurs and how to reproduce it. He said he'd do some research with Ford in the hopes of finding something as opposed to the proposition of drag racing my Boss on the street to try to reproduce the issue.

According to him, this is the word from Ford:

"The clutch pressure plate has weak return springs, and the pressure plate needs to be replaced".

You heard it here first!

So, the dealer did not have to attempt to reproduce the issue fist before getting the go-ahead from Ford to replace the pressure plate.

If you find yourself in a similar situation, then the decision you need to make is whether you want to have another go at the stock pressure plate, or go aftermarket.

Well that is interesting and exactly what I've been saying for some time. I had my clutch removed late last Nov but they found nothing wrong and reinstalled my original clutch. I haven't had it back to a track since but I'm expecting the same results. If you would please get the part number off of the replacement clutch so we can compare to the stock one and see if a new part number was issued.

zzyzx

Steve
He already confirmed that the replacement part number is the same. When I pick up my Boss in the morning I'll ask again just to be sure - and get the part #.

It does not matter how many times they pull the clutch and replace the parts, it will not matter - ask me how I know.

iDrive said:
Any suggestions on aftermarket replacement clutches?

Dave, from what I understand the best way to go is the Exedy ET04XD. However the real over all fix is a Exedy ET03SD with a T56 trans. Exedy is coming out with a new clutch for the 6060 (T56) in a couple of months, the Exedy ET03XD. It has a clamp load of 3035 vs. 2480 on the SD, I'm told that would be an increase in pedal effort of about 15%. I am also told unless you put stupid power on the Boss the SD is more then enought and the increased pedal effort is not better on a road course. I am guessing they made this upgrade because of the power of the new Shelby and people then taking them to over 800 HP.

If you decide to put this clutch in with the MT82 then you can get the ET04XD, if you then later do the trans swap you can just replace the two discs, DT05DA bottom DT05DB, they run about 200 a piece.

zzyzx

Steve
Was distracted today and forgot to get the part # for replacement pressure plate. Will eventually get it when the part arrives.

So, first track day (for the Boss, not me...) tomorrow @ Homestead. I went ahead and pulled the clutch pedal release spring as an interim measure and the clutch already feels better IMO. I think this will avoid having the pedal actually stick to the floor - we'll see. Either way I have no plans to put the spring back on with the new clutch.

zzyzx

Steve
Report from Homestead: No clutch issues.

It would appear that with removal of the return spring, the situation is much improved. However, I found myself only using 3rd and 4th gears and counted a mere 6 shifts per lap. That appeared to no be below the threshold where I would start experiencing a weak pedal.

TMO Supporting Vendors