The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

High Speed Cornering issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
pufferfish said:
has anyone installed one yet? a bit of internet research indicates they will only fit the GT500 ABS units, which is apparently what ford used for the 302S+R cars. maybe i need to give the ford tech line a call.

No, but I had heard that the GT/BOSS and 500 Mustangs share the same ABS unit now. There were different units in the past but with the introduction of BBP in '11 for GT I believe they unified the part. I do not have any data/source to back this up, however.

I've had this issue as well in the kink at CMP. But 2006's don't have stability control. I think it may be fuel slosh that caused a momentary lack of fuel. At WOT the sudden loss of power maybe felt like braking. If that is really what happened, hopefully it isn't an issue that could cause damage to the motor.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I've found I can't get too close to 1/4 tank before she complains. I get 3 runs before a fill up.

GA
Zquez said:
I've had this issue as well in the kink at CMP. But 2006's don't have stability control. I think it may be fuel slosh that caused a momentary lack of fuel. At WOT the sudden loss of power maybe felt like braking. If that is really what happened, hopefully it isn't an issue that could cause damage to the motor.

That gator in the kink at CMP can really toss your car depending on how fast you are and how stiff your supension is. It is not uncommon for someone to bounce off and wind up with 2 wheels off at track out (which sometimes does not end well).

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
PeteInCT said:
I've found I can't get too close to 1/4 tank before she complains. I get 3 runs before a fill up.

i actually ran out of gas with a 1/4 tank showing! how they towed me in (and what was damaged from their tow job) is what sparked the tow hook thing ;)

Sesshomurai

At VIR on tuesday i actually had to pit during a session for gas and got back out for 2 more laps.

GA
PJWANNABE said:
Zquez said:

That gator in the kink at CMP can really toss your car depending on how fast you are and how stiff your supension is. It is not uncommon for someone to bounce off and wind up with 2 wheels off at track out (which sometimes does not end well).

Here is a little video that shows what I am talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5mS3Oofkhs&list=UU2lnTRVKS24ZYIMqFLy_qUQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Georgia
PJWANNABE said:

I love that corner! In my SVO I could take it flat out without lifting, not so much so in the Boss. I have seen a few lose it there, always interesting when your following behind. ;)

Sesshomurai

My rule of thumb for the boss with its rear axle is NEVER to clip curbs while turning, only in straight lines or not at all. It's a dice roll.
Had some close calls on seemingly innocuous curbs while turning at VIR. It's not worth it just because "everybody does it". I adjust my line and keep the tires planted on asphalt.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I haven't seen that issue, even at VIR. I go up through the esses on the gators as well as the ones before (turns 3,4,5 I believe). Has a lot to do with temps, tires, approach angle. My shocks are set to 5 & 4 F/R. Running Nitto NT-555R-II, 285 & 305 widths.

Sesshomurai

99 times out of 100 its ok, but once, the I ran the curb on the left side on 5-5a at a decent speed and got caught in a vicious oversteer situation coming off it. My point is that it can happen. Also, check the 9/15/2012 replay of the Le Mans at VIR. One guy ran off on the first left of the esses (turn 7) coming in too tight and clipped the curb in the middle of a steer; ran straight into the wall at 160+mph. Its rare, but can be a problem is what I'm saying.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i could be wrong, but what i saw from that video was a fast, sweeping turn, off camber. if i am right on my observation about the off camber, the cure is to stay the hell off that curb! nip all the curbing you want in slower, tighter turns, but stay clear of it in a fast sweeper...especially off camber! stick axle cars are especially succeptable to the rear walking out when the chassis it upset. the off camber situation just exaggerates the rear skid, so it takes longer to get it straightened out at high speeds. at 176 feet per second (120mph), theres a lot of ground covered with only 2 wheels doing anything useful!

Also depends on the curbing. Before they repaved one of our local tracks, you could run up it real easy and even put your inside wheels pretty deep into the dirt with no issues (but I was driving an IRS car at the time). They changed the curbing and now it is more of a crap shoot in some corners. They went back and ground some of them down because of all the complaints. The fast line on one corner used to be with your outside wheels near the inside curbing with the inside wheels waggling in the dirt... it was fun but there were a lot of rocks thrown. Probably why they nerfed it. 5DOT0 may remember, it was the last turn at THill that was the 2 wheel turn.

The Boss does seem to be more sensitive to curbs, also I don't want to mangle the tall rims, but there are still a couple turns I take on the curb. If you hit them right, they can help you rotate. On the stock suspension and tires that can be helpful.

GA
bluemax said:
PJWANNABE said:

I love that corner! In my SVO I could take it flat out without lifting, not so much so in the Boss. I have seen a few lose it there, always interesting when your following behind. ;)

The instructor I had this past time at CMP taught me a great trick for the kink - on the left there is a jagged strip of concete on the grass side of the pavement coming up to the turn. Start your turn-in when your rear wheel passes the end of the strip; it works like a charm every time. I can carry much more speed now through there and never sweat the kink anymore.

Georgia
PJWANNABE said:
bluemax said:
PJWANNABE said:

The instructor I had this past time at CMP taught me a great trick for the kink - on the left there is a jagged strip of concete on the grass side of the pavement coming up to the turn. Start your turn-in when your rear wheel passes the end of the strip; it works like a charm every time. I can carry much more speed now through there and never sweat the kink anymore.

Yep, I do the same.

Concerning the OP question, mine is not related to fuel or temp. IMO it is the stability control getting confused by elevation change while turning.

Sesshomurai

Fat Boss said:
Concerning the OP question, mine is not related to fuel or temp. IMO it is the stability control getting confused by elevation change while turning.

You are correct. When I held the button down and disengaged it, I didn't get the interference. And you also point out a fact I didn't mention, that the two turns in question at VIR this happened did have elevation changes (slight), so you nailed it. The rest of this discussion is also very interesting!

bluemax said:
PJWANNABE said:

haha I got 4 wheels off last weekend. Carried a little bit too much speed through the kink. By the end of the day I had it down though.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel