The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Highschool Budget Track Build Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
sounds like a good plan but I'd use Ford Performance parts. Also, I'd leave the stock upper trailing arm alone.
I believe that I need adjustable ones to have a one piece driveshaft in order to correct pinion angle, but correct me if i’m wrong and ive heard they lead to a very harsh ride so I need to do some more research.

I believe that I need adjustable ones to have a one piece driveshaft in order to correct pinion angle, but correct me if i’m wrong and ive heard they lead to a very harsh ride so I need to do some more research.
actually you don't most of the compétition cars use the stock upper trailing arm and they all use aluminum shafts with FR one pièce lowers.
You are already well into your suspension. mods to go back, but one of the FR " kits: is a good recomendation, in any case, try to keep all the components from 1 mfgr if you can

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
actually you don't most of the compétition cars use the stock upper trailing arm and they all use aluminum shafts with FR one pièce lowers.
You are already well into your suspension. mods to go back, but one of the FR " kits: is a good recomendation, in any case, try to keep all the components from 1 mfgr if you can
really? that is good to hear and will save me some money, in that case I will just buy the ford performance driveshaft and the ford uppers.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I believe that I need adjustable ones to have a one piece driveshaft
I thought so also. Then I listened to the folks here and went with a DSS shaft and Ford Trailing arms. No need for the adjustable arms. Yep, save your money. Wheels and tires will yield the most improvement for grip, they cost money.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
I feel your high school pain, I was building abd drag racing à 56 Chevy built out of junkyard parts while punping gas.
Any $$ saved is a good thing.
Especially with gas being up to $6.70 a gallon where I live lol. The first car I ever worked on is my 46 willys jeep with a 55 small block chevy and I love the simplicity of it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
The good thing about the S197 is you don't have to spend a lot to have fun at the track. It sounds like you have a good start. Spend your limited budget on entry fees, brake pads, tires, and have a lot of fun. You can spend more on upgrades once you figure out what is holding you back.

Seat time will not only be the best modification you can make it often will give you clues to what to improve on your car as time unfolds.
nreef, Be forewarned, discovering ways to improve your car's performance and handling often becomes an endless adventure, but a rewarding one when you get the results you are looking for.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
The good thing about the S197 is you don't have to spend a lot to have fun at the track. It sounds like you have a good start. Spend your limited budget on entry fees, brake pads, tires, and have a lot of fun. You can spend more on upgrades once you figure out what is holding you back.
EF1 ............that is the perfect advice to really grab ahold of and use. Seat time will not only be the best modification you can make it often will give you clues to what to improve on your car as time unfolds.

I 150% agree with these. The single biggest improvement you'll get in performance is seat time and that will carry across every vehicle you ever own. I was extremely nervous leading up to my first track day and got stuck in the cycle of "Just one more part and it will be ready." I eventually sold that car without ever tracking it to buy this one because of that cycle. When I actually went to the track I realized that I was just surrounded by a bunch of guys that want to have a good time and enjoy the day. It was the most welcoming, non-judgmental environment and I had wasted years not experiencing because I worried it was the opposite. We have some great guys in the NorCal region as well that I'm sure you'd catch at the track.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Great post 5.2 and so true for so many. I find the seat time, the questions and answers, the help, and the camaraderie at the track often help one go faster than the months or years of working in various mods and set ups on the car. In fact it is one of the reasons I tell new autocrossers to go to the Solo Nationals, as they can learn more in one fun week, talking to competitors, etc. than they can working in their garage every night analyzing the fixes they need. The same is true for those starting on road courses and please don't try to read into these comments that I don't think folks should do mods, play in the garage , etc. it is just that seat time and physically being with others can often teach you the things you want or feel your car needs in the future.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
wish i started my track build in HS, maybe then id be 50k into the car instead of 38! lol

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
also if i were you, if you have not done so already, i would take the car out to the nearest autox event and start learning the limits. Going fast on a racetrack is fun and all, but if you dont know your limits and the cars, you may be looking for a new car when things go unexpectedly, or worse, south

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area CA
also if i were you, if you have not done so already, i would take the car out to the nearest autox event and start learning the limits. Going fast on a racetrack is fun and all, but if you dont know your limits and the cars, you may be looking for a new car when things go unexpectedly, or worse, south

Ive had the car for a little over two years now and have been learning its limits on many different tires and suspension setups but just recently got the 200tw tires and r compound pads and now it all about temperature so I guess im still learning more now that there is such a difference between hot tires and brake pads performance vs when they are still cold which wasnt as much of a concern until now but I do know when I need to hit the brakes and I can feel if the car is going to understeer or oversteer and if things are getting to hot so I now feel confident taking it to the track. Hoping to set a better laptime than my buddy who has done a few track days in his new c8 corvette that I have spent some time in, but maybe I am too confident.

TMO Supporting Vendors