The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Race Course Universe!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric, you are giving away your age if you ran Road Atlanta back when it had the dip ------ congrats ,that was the era of wedgies and pucker factor at the max level!!!

Well, yes, I am up there in age!... I took my first SCCA competition school there in 1993. My home state was Ohio so we'd run down to R-A in the early spring before our local race season got into full swing.

Since I was racing a Saturn Coupe in Showroom Stock B, the top speed was only about 115 going into the dip. Top speed for the car was usually about 112 but the downhill added the extra 3 mph. The exit under the bridge removed so much speed that a short stroke on the brakes was enough to pass under the bridge (totally blind to the far side!!). I was told to scrape the pass side mirror on the right hand bridge support for a fast lap. And never lift going down the hill!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Love Road Atlanta and we went with a group of our customers three different times when the Panoz School was running there. I always thought flat out down turn 12 had to have the same excitement as going down the corkscrew at Laguna Seca and friends who ran both felt they had a similar commitment level, ha. Got my SCCA Comp. License in 2002, but was running Time Trial Competition with Viper Days prior to that.

Member of SCCA since 1981 and NASA since 2010.

My Saturn on stock springs (well, sort-a stock) sat down on its bump stops through turn 12 at speed. Quite a rush when you've done enough right to carry big speed through 12.

I really need to go back with the Mustang!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Be a cinch, though likely not as hair raising as hanging on with bump stops chattering in a Saturn ---- sorry , but Uranus was in Jeopardy in that drastic plastic beastie, ha,ha!!

Driven the Bullitt to 7 tracks that I have run in a few different sates over the past 3 years:

Roebling Road- Georgia
MSR Houston- Texas
Texas World Speedway- Texas
Hallett- Oklahoma
MSR Cresson 3.1- Texas
Harris Hill Road- Texas
Gingerman- Michigan

Already signed up for Autobahn Country Club in Illinois and Road America in Wisconsin while I am up that way for Bullitt Nationals in July.

Tracks on my "hit list" would be COTA, Eagles Canyon, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, VIR, and Laguna Seca. Will get there eventually...

TMO Supporting Vendors