The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

HOD "Do the Screw in Your 302" Special Event August 25th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I did the screw today in all of the fine Jaguar R models and the F-Type V8. Quite fun. Don't miss out with the Boss.

Gordon thanks for the update.

The new F Type looks to be the real deal. I can't wait to check one out.

The more I think about it, the worse my gut feeling is regarding sound check. I'm not into soft pedaling on the track so I may need to out the decibel meter and do some tests.

I know with a Magnaflow catted X-pipe and GT500 axle backs I hit 92.9 dB on an overcast day (more moisture=longer sound transmission through the air). I've since changed to magnaflow GT500 performance axle backs.

Anyone else have modded exhausts/exhaust discs and stayed at/under the 90 dB limit?

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
Really would like to do this event. Laguna Seca is a great facility but driving from Seattle for 1 day is too much for this old man. Looks like there is going to be good representation from this board that would make it even more fun to mix it up with a bunch of Boss 302 pilots.

On sound, when I was there last year I didn't have a problem. Stock exhaust & intake with plates removed. Just take your restrictor plates along and throw them in if you have a problem. They can sometimes look the other way even with a low 90 db day they may let you slide at 92 db.

Here's one of my videos from Cherries last year:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Xu70VnoqPNg[/youtube]

You guys will have a blast with the number of Bosses at this event so take plenty of video and post it up when you all return.

Cheers!

LS Boss

The "old" and the "new"
I'll be joining you all too...looks like a very fun group...for those of you worried about meeting 90-92db...I am running a stock exhaust with side pipes completely open...the time I had mine checked it was 88 something. And that was flat through the sound check area after turn 5, weather can play a part, so no guarantees. I have some extra side exhaust baffels should anyone need them, can help you out for a reasonablly cheap fee. I have various openings all the way back to stock 5/16. I will be running in the D group and will have a trailer there...you all can stop by to brag or I may have some refreshments as well..look forward to meeting you all...Don

Wow, plates removed and you passed 90dB sound? That's encouraging. I'll take stock mufflers with me just as a backup, but it'll break my heart if I can't run my car as is.

Unfortunately my car is a regular GT, so there are no disk sizes to be played with. Only the plain jane exhaust.

Hey Don I'm glad you'll be there. But wait, aren't you always there? ;D Do you still have your Boss?

For anyone that needs them I'll have discs available too including blanks which will close off the side pipes completely.

Just a note that most of the run groups are sold out. If you try and register and your group is full please send me a PM and l8te apx and I will try and get you a spot. Please leave your email and phone number in the PM.

Re: HOD "Do the Screw in Your 302" Special Event August 25th Updated List

If anyone would like a garage at LS please post or send me a PM immediately. It's $100 per garage or $50 per car. Each garage holds two cars and we'll get the garages next to each other. So far we have:

Garage
1. Paul/Bret
2. Andy/Rick

http://www.hookedondriving.com/event-details/Cool_Track_in_the_Summertime!_Mazda_Raceway_Sunday!

Attendee List:
Fat Boss - Andy
Moto - Ron
Yo Pauly - Paul
ufnavy06 - Sean
mustang_girl - Nicole
neema - neema
Z06 - Bret
Rondog - Ron
Rondog's brother - Bobby
Surfergeek - Jared
Calii_KR - Tom and Taylor
LS BOSS - Don
NFSBOSS - Rick

Boomerstoys

Thought those going to this event might appreciate some info about driving Laguna at speed. Found it really helpful when I went the first time and even if you drove this track before this may help you improve your line.

http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2012/09/Laguna-Seca-Track-Guide.html

There is another driving line that is far more detailed but "old" that was put out years ago by the GGR of the PCA but I can't find the link to it. If I can find the link I'll post it.

Watch the video of driving Laguna. OMG, what fun!!!

Cheers!

Boomerstoys

Everyone has probably seen this video of Randy Probst with a Boss 302 LS on Laguna but it's worth watching again.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rCMxgoWaq9Q[/youtube]

Check out his time of 1:41.06 and the time on the axis of oversteer video. Virtually identical.

Amazing what accomplished drivers can do!

Cheers!

Boomerstoys said:
Everyone has probably seen this video of Randy Probst with a Boss 302 LS on Laguna but it's worth watching again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCMxgoWaq9Q

Check out his time of 1:41.06 and the time on the axis of oversteer video. Virtually identical.

Amazing what accomplished drivers can do!

Cheers!

my butt clenches every time I see how deep Pobst goes into T2. It was hard enough for me to get comfortable going WOT over the hill. Going WOT down the hill toward the corner for a couple more seconds before braking is crazy.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I had Davy Jones show me his line in the XFR last week. It seemed to be solid for me. BTW, not to worsen the whole 90 db thing, but the XKR and the F-types couldn't hack 90 dbs but the track officials said it's only a Mon-Fri thing, that weekends are fair game. Don't know if that contrasts with what others are saying but that's what we got told last week. Also, if you know where the meter is, and I do, you just, drive more quietly there. (How dare I say drive more slowly!)

Boomerstoys said:
Thought those going to this event might appreciate some info about driving Laguna at speed. Found it really helpful when I went the first time and even if you drove this track before this may help you improve your line.

http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2012/09/Laguna-Seca-Track-Guide.html

There is another driving line that is far more detailed but "old" that was put out years ago by the GGR of the PCA but I can't find the link to it. If I can find the link I'll post it.

Watch the video of driving Laguna. OMG, what fun!!!

Cheers!Great article, thanks.

Now if they had one for Sonoma where I'll be on Sunday. My laps are just like this...but slower. ;D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=B3euRAVAaPw[/youtube]

LS Boss

The "old" and the "new"
Yes NFSBoss...I still got the Boss....now that the CEL issues all seem to be resolved, it has run flawlessly the last several track outings...hitting my best times in this car on each venue with each event, now really debating whether to sell it or not, its humming along so nicely and I have way to many tires, and so little time....

There is a link on this site for the CEL stuff...it seems Ford has finally stepped up the game and resolved all on my car and many also are saying they have on their cars too...make sure you all get the latest TSBs incorporated by your dealers...especially the ones dealing with cam sensor connectors (P010) and random misfires (P300) , they actually work!!

The spec mustang will be done in a couple weeks or less...will need to do some wringing out, both me and car before we race...expect 1st SCCA race I'll do will be in October...then I have to deal with the two cars one trailer thing. Make me an offer on my Boss LS I can't refuse...ha ha...

Be at Sonoma this weekend with Shelby club, I'll take a peek at how its coming along :). Generally this club is pretty good, will be a ton of muscle (original type) there in most every shape and size Ford made them...and of course, those that made them even horse...ier...

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
Hola folks. New to the forum so thanks for the invite! I hope there's some GT500 love in the house. ;-)

Had a great time up at the Shelby Sonoma event 8/3-4 and my quick BMO garage mates. I'm still planning on being down at LG on 8/25 and scheduled for coaching. Be on the lookout for a Silver GT500 and come say hi.

-Wingrider

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
NFSBOSS said:
Wingrider , nice meeting you and glad you could join us here on BMO. If you don't already have a garage reserved and want to share one post up. We'll have to set you up with a member looking for an instructor on the 25th.

Thanks for the welcome aboard. I do have a garage already arranged but thanks for the offer. I've asked where it is in relation to the BMO stalls so maybe we're side by side. I have to see how the HOD staff want to arrange the coaching but so far they are assigned on our arrival. I do get to pick from what is there as I arrive so I'll have to figure out who's part of the BMO crew before going in.

Currently there are 4 garages reserved for the BMO crew....there are more available as of today. If you want one let [email protected] know and he can reserve one for you. Garages are 16-17-18-19. There will be a corral set up for all BMO members who do not have a garage. The corral will be right in front of the garages. Get there early 6:30ish. Check in will be in the classroom starting at 7:00.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel