The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

HOD Northeast - NJMP (Thunderbolt) 4/12/13

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just received an email from Hooked On Driving Northeast about a Track Day at NJMP - Thunderbolt on April 12th and wanted to pass it on. I will likely be there. I hope to see more Boss's on the track!

The price is $295

Here's the link to their Northeast events:

http://www.hookedondriving.com/hooked-on-driving-region/Northeast

The original email I received talked about the event being sponsored by Mopar (a couple clubs got advanced notice prior to public release so we could use all the Boss representation we can get). Nothing was mentioned but it'd be cool to see one the new Grand Am Callenger's on track.

this is right up the road from my house. i honestly do not have enough seat time to justify the cost associated with my first track day (yet). i would love to catch up with some boss folks if this goes down though.

Spectators allowed?

Spectators have been allowed at the HOD events I've attended in the past. I think you might need to register with them when you get there but I'm not certian.

Hope to see you there.

Update on spectators - I was on HOD's website and found that they allow passenger's to ride with anyone who is signed off to drive solo. The document on their website is dated 9/7/09 so hopefully it's not outdated.

If you've never been on track and are planning to come and would like a ride, bring your helmet (I think they require an SA 2005 or newer for all drivers so it's likely the same for passengers). As long as they allow it, I will try to get you out for a couple laps or a session.

I have never been on a track, would this be a good one to start with,,, it is the closest to me?
how much track time does the $295 get me?

I've been to NJMP numerous times but always the other track (Lightning). I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be a great place for you to start though. You'll be in the beginner group which is made up of first timers and novices. You'll have an instructor with you the whole time and will be able to progress at your own speed. There will also be class time before your first run and usually after each susbsquent session.

My first time on track was Track Attack last April. My second time was with HOD in June last year and I was very happy with the instruction and overall expereince.

Since then I've done 2-3 track days with them and many others with a number of different organizations. HOD provides more track time time than many other groups...you will likely get 4-6 30min sessions, depending on the number of run groups they have on a particular day (usually 3 or 4). Many other organizations only give you 4 20-25min sessions. It's definitely worth the money and you'll probably ask yourself why you didn't do it sooner...I know I did.

I hope this helps.

KBBOSS1086 said:
Update on spectators - I was on HOD's website and found that they allow passenger's to ride with anyone who is signed off to drive solo. The document on their website is dated 9/7/09 so hopefully it's not outdated.

If you've never been on track and are planning to come and would like a ride, bring your helmet (I think they require an SA 2005 or newer for all drivers so it's likely the same for passengers). As long as they allow it, I will try to get you out for a couple laps or a session.

that is a heck of an offer. I am in provided i can make the day work. Once it is a little closer, i will know for sure. Thanks and i look forward to getting up to NJMP!

stunya said:
that is a heck of an offer. I am in provided i can make the day work. Once it is a little closer, i will know for sure. Thanks and i look forward to getting up to NJMP!

No problem - I'm happy to do it. If you can make it you might get to sit shotgun and expereince about 1/4 of what are cars are capable of on track...well, maybe 3/8ths! ;D Hope to see you there!

KBBOSS1086 said:
No problem - I'm happy to do it. If you can make it you might get to sit shotgun and expereince about 1/4 of what are cars are capable of on track...well, maybe 3/8ths! ;D Hope to see you there!

i took that friday off to make sure i am available. ill need to scrounge up a helmet right? or do they rent them at NJMP?

You will definitely need a helmet. I think they have a couple available that they rent to participants but I'm not certain. I'd reach out to HOD to make sure they will alllow ride alongs before you buy a helmet specifically for this event. Their website states they permit it but there could be a track rule that only allows 2 people in the car if one is an insructor. I'm happy to take you out as long as I'm permitted to.

KBBOSS1086 said:
You will definitely need a helmet. I think they have a couple available that they rent to participants but I'm not certain. I'd reach out to HOD to make sure they will alllow ride alongs before you buy a helmet specifically for this event. Their website states they permit it but there could be a track rule that only allows 2 people in the car if one is an insructor. I'm happy to take you out as long as I'm permitted to.

sounds good, will do. thanks.

KBBOSS1086 said:

I have an email and phone call out with the regional rep to see what their rules for tomorrow are. Are you still planning to attend despite the rain in the forecast. Once I hear from the rep, ill post back up.

TMO Supporting Vendors