The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Holly brake dust Batman!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I ran PFC01 brake pads for the first last weekend while autocrossing the Boss. I have never seen so much brake dust after just six runs on a 45sec course ever. Brake dust was everywhere and my silver wheels went completely black by the end of the event. I know race pads come with compromises but this seems extreme. I will be using the pads for both Autocross and Track days at a very brake intensive track (Eagles Canyon Raceway). I'm considering Carbotech XP10s or XP12s for my next set. Anyone have a suggestion for more brake dust friendly pads or is this just the downside to race pads? Thanks Chris

There is a lot of brake dust with the PFC's and others. I have tried many different pads Hawks, PFCs and Pagids all have a lot of dust, never tried the Carbotech's. The least brake dust I saw was with Raybestos 41 or 43, can't remember which I used. However they need a lot of heat so not sure how they will work with autocross, call Steve at LPI Racing and ask.

Best thing to do is paint your wheels matte black, I don't even notice the dust anymore ;D

drano38

Wayne
I ran PFC 01 for the first time a few weeks ago at BIR. Three days/350 track miles, and I didn't think the dust was unusual. Its a fast course so it makes us hit the brakes pretty good on a few turns, so they get hot. Pads worked well, and I plan to stay with the PFC brand.
Don't know if your autocross was a "slow" or a "fast" course, so maybe they were too cold and dusted a lot.
Last year I ran Carbotech XP10, RP2 and XP12. I don't see much dust difference from the PFC and Carbotech.
I gave up on Carbotech because I would get pad transfer onto the rotors, causing moderate to heavy shudder during braking. Don't know if it was my driving style, bedding technique, or what.
+1 on black wheels--they'll look great with your RR Boss.

drano38 said:
I ran PFC 01 for the first time a few weeks ago at BIR. Three days/350 track miles, and I didn't think the dust was unusual. Its a fast course so it makes us hit the brakes pretty good on a few turns, so they get hot. Pads worked well, and I plan to stay with the PFC brand.
Don't know if your autocross was a "slow" or a "fast" course, so maybe they were too cold and dusted a lot.
Last year I ran Carbotech XP10, RP2 and XP12. I don't see much dust difference from the PFC and Carbotech.
I gave up on Carbotech because I would get pad transfer onto the rotors, causing moderate to heavy shudder during braking. Don't know if it was my driving style, bedding technique, or what.
+1 on black wheels--they'll look great with your RR Boss.

Thanks for the comparison info. First I've of Carbotech transfer issues. The Autox course was fairly slow, but low brake heat is never a problem with Louisiana summer time heat. Last event temp was 100 plus unbearable humidity. I was expecting more dust with track pads, but not to the level I experienced. Looks like just need to adjust my dust meter and have the wheels powdered coated or painted black.

You can apply a sealant like Rejex or 22PLE to the wheels. The brake dust will wash off easy. I used Rejex because it's $19 for 16oz and a lot of detailers use it for wheels. It last a long time, 6mos on daily drivers and over a year on garaged weekend drivers. After I wash them off, I usually reapply a lite coat again. You can also pull the wheels off and do the inside so you can hit them with the hose and wash most of it off. Good luck.

Chris

TMO Supporting Vendors