The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Homemade Boss 302S Grill

So instead of spending $$ on a new grill I decided to make my own, since the only benefit I can see from the 302S grill is that there is some mesh over the fog light holes.

I just used some wire mesh from home depot, gave it a spray paint, cut to size and blocked off the fog light holes, center grill and I also did the same for the lower grill.

To get at the lower grill you must remove the bumper cover.

This is to mainly block off all LARGE bugs that will clog up the radiator and A/C condenser. Plus increased airflow from the fog light block off plates.

Cost about $15 in materials.

001_zpsd975b1d3.jpg

002_zps8b1c41f2.jpg
 
Nice work!
 

Sesshomurai

I'm doing the same thing on my '12 and will post some pics later.
 
Here's my new homemade 2012 grille just used for track days. I still didn't get enough air flow from the 302S grille for as hard as I push the car and was pulling the entire grille on days over 75*. I didn't get a chance to run this grille very much before the end of the season to see if it would help. If it doesn't do the trick I'm going with a CJ or billet style.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
 
I made mine out of a regular GT grille. No fog lights and then took a rotozip and dremel to it and opened it up including where the mustang emblem was. Haven't added the mesh yet.
 

Sesshomurai

Here's pics of mine.

grille1.jpg

grille2.jpg


This was during the mockup phase so it's not the final version.
grille3.jpg
 
Pics of my grill mesh install... did both upper and lower grills (sorry, no pics of lower). Used medium gauge #6 x .035 s/s wire mesh from Pegasus Racing, secured w/ small black zips and cut so that it fits tightly within the narrow channel that runs along of the bottom of the grill molding. Cut/installed w/ grills on the car... removed upper plastic gap filler panel for access, did a lot of measuring and trial fitting... pretty long reach to lower grill, which I had to do in two halves... kind of a PITA... would remove grills if I did it again.

IMG_2851_zpsb33fd56c.png
IMG_2852_zpsdf13cf4d.png
IMG_2855_zps6d2165b5.png
 
58
0
You got 98% percent of it right. The 302S grill has less blockage. But for the money you hit a home run.
 

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
JTRATX said:
So instead of spending $$ on a new grill I decided to make my own, since the only benefit I can see from the 302S grill is that there is some mesh over the fog light holes.

I just used some wire mesh from home depot, gave it a spray paint, cut to size and blocked off the fog light holes, center grill and I also did the same for the lower grill.

To get at the lower grill you must remove the bumper cover.

This is to mainly block off all LARGE bugs that will clog up the radiator and A/C condenser. Plus increased airflow from the fog light block off plates.

Cost about $15 in materials.

001_zpsd975b1d3.jpg

002_zps8b1c41f2.jpg
How did you attach the mesh to the fog light openings?Can't quite tell from your pics. Looks really good.Thanks, Bob
 
fbbob96 said:
How did you attach the mesh to the fog light openings?Can't quite tell from your pics. Looks really good.Thanks, Bob

Center grill I used small zip ties, for fog lights I used really thin 24 gauge I think, galvanized wire, just drill very small holes and twist the wire up, it holds very tight.
 

jneary

Performance Fords
323
0
Norcal
Sorry, this looks great and a very cool idea but I just have to laugh when I consider Home Depot as a parts supplier!!! Wouldn't see anyone with a Porsche considering that!!! It's great to be an American!

My son has a 1966 with a Shelby center grille. That material, though a smaller pattern and more expensive, might look good too since the pattern matches the center portion of the Boss grille.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/191858,11014/1966-Shelby-Mustang-GT350-R_photo.aspx

John
 
cloud9 said:
Here's my new homemade 2012 grille just used for track days. I still didn't get enough air flow from the 302S grille for as hard as I push the car and was pulling the entire grille on days over 75*. I didn't get a chance to run this grille very much before the end of the season to see if it would help. If it doesn't do the trick I'm going with a CJ or billet style.

I cant find a source for the CJ grill, seems Ford doesnt make or sell it anymore.
 
cloud9 said:
Are the '13s having the same cooling issues as us '12 owners? I'm planning on putting in the new fan this spring.

Not sure, I haven't tracked the car yet as this isn't my primary track car. I'll take it out this spring and see what it's got.

Have you tried the heater trick? How hot does your car get?
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top