The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Homemade Boss 302S Grill

JTRATX said:
Not sure, I haven't tracked the car yet as this isn't my primary track car. I'll take it out this spring and see what it's got.

Have you tried the heater trick? How hot does your car get?
I've spiked ECT of 255* on the worst days....but usually bump up into the high 240s or even low 250s. I have already installed the 302S grille, radiator, hood and air-to-oil cooler. Removing the grille drops it 15-20*. I've cut up another grille by removing the center pony section and replaced it with the same wire mesh as the fogs but haven't had a chance to test it. I'm also probably going to put in the new fan. My oil tops out at 240* on the hottest days but usually peaks around 230*. If my "new" grille doesn't work I'm going to opt for one of the billet bar type grilles as they appear to flow pretty freely.

The other major factor is elevation. I'm usually between 1k and 2k ft above sea level. The guys near sea level are seeing much lower temps typically.

20120918202756687.jpg
 
cloud9 said:
I've spiked ECT of 255* on the worst days....but usually bump up into the high 240s or even low 250s. I have already installed the 302S grille, radiator, hood and air-to-oil cooler. Removing the grille drops it 15-20*. I've cut up another grille by removing the center pony section and replaced it with the same wire mesh as the fogs but haven't had a chance to test it. I'm also probably going to put in the new fan. My oil tops out at 240* on the hottest days but usually peaks around 230*. If my "new" grille doesn't work I'm going to opt for one of the billet bar type grilles as they appear to flow pretty freely.

The other major factor is elevation. I'm usually between 1k and 2k ft above sea level. The guys near sea level are seeing much lower temps typically.

Wow, that's way too hot. I will back off if my track car gets over 220, oil will see 265-275, which I need to get those temps down.

Do you run your heater when it gets hot? Also try running distilled water, water wetter and 5% coolant. If its just a track car get rid of the a/c condenser, that blocks a boat load of air.
 
JTRATX said:
Wow, that's way too hot. I will back off if my track car gets over 220, oil will see 265-275, which I need to get those temps down.

Do you run your heater when it gets hot? Also try running distilled water, water wetter and 5% coolant. If its just a track car get rid of the a/c condenser, that blocks a boat load of air.
I do run water wetter but still coolant.....might go mostly distilled water this year but always fear corrosion.....don't fully trust WW. Yep the A/C condenser is a problem but it's still a dual purpose car.....for now. I've tried the heater but not sure it helps. The water could be CHT not ECT....it's not popping the reservoir cap but has gotten to the top.....it's mainly an airflow issue though since you can pull the grille and defeat it. They redesigned the entire front of the car to help deal with it including the vents on the hood. Heck they completely removed the grille on the '13 GT500.
 
cloud9 said:
I do run water wetter but still coolant.....might go mostly distilled water this year but always fear corrosion.....don't fully trust WW. Yep the A/C condenser is a problem but it's still a dual purpose car.....for now. I've tried the heater but not sure it helps. The water could be CHT not ECT....it's not popping the reservoir cap but has gotten to the top.....it's mainly an airflow issue though since you can pull the grille and defeat it. They redesigned the entire front of the car to help deal with it including the vents on the hood. Heck they completely removed the grille on the '13 GT500.

RE: corrosion, that's why you run 5% coolant. Before I removed my heater core running the heater on full blast would drop temps 10 degrees. Where are you picking up coolant temps from? Aftermarket sensor I assume?
 
JTRATX said:
RE: corrosion, that's why you run 5% coolant. Before I removed my heater core running the heater on full blast would drop temps 10 degrees. Where are you picking up coolant temps from? Aftermarket sensor I assume?
I'm picking up ECT from my Aeroforce gauge connected to OBDII. I'm getting oil temp from an Aeroforce aftermarket sender. I've tried the heater in the past with seemingly little effect. I'd rather pull the grille than deal with the heater on a 90+ degree track day. I'll give the 5% coolant a try.....I've done that before with about 25% coolant without great effect.
 
1,022
97
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
If I understand correctly the 13 Boss' have removable fog light inserts while the 12's don't...is this true? I am in Afghanistan so I can't go out to the garage to look for myself. My car is in Germany where temps are usually in the high 70's to mid 80's in the summer so I have never had to worry about temps getting too high. The only track I have had the car on is the Nurburgring and that is a very fast track so it helps keep the temps down.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top