The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Homemade front splitter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been looking to get the ford splitter or WC but couldn't bring myself to spend 700$ for a piece of plastic and then I broke my lower air deflector at the track :mad:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-lower-air-deflector-gt500-2011-2012-boss-302-2012-2013-california-special-2013/p/AD6/

When I found the price for a ABS sheet there was no more question that I would make my own.

I used :
1x 54x106x1/4 ABS sheet about 140$
1x 48x96x1/4 corrugated plastic sheet for making the template 30$
2x longacre splitter brace 25$each. Found them here :
http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/exterior-accessories/part-type/spoiler-supports-and-components?SortBy=None&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=longacre
I used the 8" but they are too long. I had to cut them about half inch and move the holes on the support back half inch also.

Also you will need a support for the braces. I'm using the blowfish tow hook with the support built in.
http://stores.blowfishracing.com/-strse-3/2010-dsh-2013-Mustang-%28with-LS/Detail.bok

First you have to remove your bumper cover from the car and separate your lower valance from the bumper cover.
Then remove the stock splitter and fixe the valence on the corrugated plastic.
Draw the line of your future splitter on the plastic
I marked a dot 2" from the wheel well on both side and then marked a line 4" away from the recession of your valance. This is the size of the World Challenge splitter. The Ford Racing one is 5".
Then connected my line with my dot using a piece of spring steel. So when you bend it, it form a nice radius.
Use your lower air deflector to mark the opening for the wheel.
Now it should look like this
q2ci.jpg

Put everything back together to test fit it on the car

9bd4.jpg

314d.jpg

2i13.jpg

Once you are happy with it, remove your template and use it has a model to draw on the ABS sheet.

I used sink screw and nylock nut on every holes I could find in the lower valance. No push pin or J nuts
v2rf.jpg

I also used a stack up of ABS left over to make spacers so I can screww the back of my splitter to the lower radiator support
iifz.jpg

Here's more pictures

85bh.jpg

nrxn.jpg

9q1o.jpg

5nhl.jpg

Sorry for some of the Iphone crappy pictures

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Thanks for posting these details. I have been thinking of adding a splitter down the road too, this info may come in handy! Looks great. Hope it works well for you

Excellent work! I feel the same way about spending $700-900 on a piece of plastic. It's great to know that with a little work it can be made at home. Thanks for the details of your build. I will likely be making one of my own in the future.

Great work!

I've been trying to check the amount of room available right above the splitter, and your pics show that perfectly. I was planning on purchasing a brake cooling kit from blowfish, and use a universal inlet duct on the splitter, underneath the car. Similar to the ones shown in this link

Awesome job! I love it when guys refuse to pay the big bucks and build quality parts themselves, that's the very heart of "hot rodding".

:)

Thanks guys.

Justin, the white is just my model. Is made of corrugated plastic which is easy to work with and pretty cheap.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrugated_plastic

F.D. Sako, that template is everything but precise. I had to made quite a few adjustments when I finally draw it on the ABS but I knew where the mistakes were so it wasn't a problem. I can give you some measurements but I think it will be much easier for you to draw your own. It is pretty easy to draw. My biggest problem was trying to figure how much spacer would be needed to fix it against the lower radiator support.

Sorry that I can't give you more info

ArizonaGT said:
Nice work and thanks for sharing the Longacre brackets for a reasonable price available from Summit

Yeah I founded the Ford Racing one on the Waston racing website.
http://shop.watsonracing.com/BOSS_302S_FRONT_SPLITTER_HARDWARE_KIT_p/wr-16601h-s.htm

Couldn't believe my eyes :eek: :eek:.
I don't know what the Ford guy was smoking but it should have been very powerful ;D

Swiss Boss said:
I used the 8" but they are too long. I had to cut them about half inch and move the holes on the support back half inch also.

So, do you recommend the 6" or the 8" with the understanding they need to be modified?

Also, here is another home-brew splitter from Vorshlag. In fact, everything IS bigger in Texas. ;)

1167264_10153210087845113_1412631601_o.jpg

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Jimmy Pribble said:
So, do you recommend the 6" or the 8" with the understanding they need to be modified?

Also, here is another home-brew splitter from Vorshlag. In fact, everything IS bigger in Texas. ;)

1167264_10153210087845113_1412631601_o.jpg
my god!!! I think that might be overkill lol

Jimmy Pribble said:

If I had to do it again, I will go with the 6".

Vorshlag is building a crazy car. Following the built with interest, lot of good informations.
Curious how they will do at Miller. Hopefully well.

TMO Supporting Vendors