The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Honestly-is the Boss too much car to enjoy on the street?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all streets are created equal! I have a back road near me that is PERFECTLY suited for 3rd gear. I imagine living in a place like SF or NYC things would be much different.

Funny thing. Once you track a car most drive on the steet in a more controlled manor. As a kid and young adult I drove like a maniac. As I matured a race car became possible. What a difference when I get the need for speed I count the days till the next race. My Boss is a dd and will stay that way. At least once a week driving to or from work someone will throw the gauntlet in an immature way and I just smile and watch. Every so often another driver will offer a challenge in a mature manor ( always a killer car above my pay grade). Quick check of the mirrors, do we have room, GAME ON. Love the Boss.
Buy the way only lost once, to a Cobra. When he hit the gas he made so much smoke and pointed every direction except forward I had to lift because I was laughing so hard I almost wet myself.

Absolutely. The car was built to be a track day toy. I can't imagine why anyone would buy one if they had no intentions to track it now and again.

If I wanted a sporty, daily driver, I'd get a Focus ST or similar. The Boss 302 is enormous overkill if you're never going to track the car. Driving the Boss in anger for more than a few moments on public roads could result you ending up in the back of police car.

Those guy who bought one just to park it at the Dairy Queen on the cruise night are... Well... If you have nothing nice to say, best say nothing at all.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
Number23 said:
Absolutely. The car was built to be a track day toy. I can't imagine why anyone would buy one if they had no intentions to track it now and again.

If I wanted a sporty, daily driver, I'd get a Focus ST or similar. The Boss 302 is enormous overkill if you're never going to track the car. Driving the Boss in anger for more than a few moments on public roads could result you ending up in the back of police car.

Those guy why bought one just to park it at the Dairy Queen on the cruise night are... Well... If you have nothing nice to say, best say nothing at all.

I bought one and don't plan to track it, so appreciate the insult. There are other ways to enjoy the car. :-X

I won't be tracking mine either. Just always wanted an original Boss 302 and this car is the next best thing. People buy these cars for multiple reasons, just because some of us don't track doesn't make us bad people.

Number23 said:
Those guy whobought one just to park it at the Dairy Queen on the cruise night are... Well... If you have nothing nice to say, best say nothing at all.

Guess I'm half this guy but in 10 years my boss will still look brand new. I bought this car for the long haul so nothing wrong with not beating on it all the time.

BLAZN BOSS

Number23 said:

Those guy whobought one just to park it at the Dairy Queen on the cruise night are... Well... If you have nothing nice to say, best say nothing at all.

I'd like to respond to this , not in anger or disrespect, hopefully to shed light on another view.
I haven't tracked my car, I really like drag racing more, I said the first time I saw these cars on the Ford web site that i was going to get one. It stays in the garage mostly, until a sunny day, car show, cruise in comes along. Now I have drag raced it once but not at the track, and probably will again if someone happens to come along that would be considered of having a chance.

I was raised to respect the value of a dollar, and care for what I spend my hard earned money for. I dont know how many here have their Boss paid for, but I'm making payments. All who own one has the right to do with the car as they feel, not to feel obligated to run the piss out the car everytime they turn the key cause it is fast but rather enjoy it anyway they feel that makes them happy. And really it's not fair for you to suggest insult for those that feel proud of not how the car performed, but rather how it could perform and/or look. It's up to the owner, thats all.

BLAZN BOSS said:
I'd like to respond to this , not in anger or disrespect, hopefully to shed light on another view.
I haven't tracked my car, I really like drag racing more, I said the first time I saw these cars on the Ford web site that i was going to get one. It stays in the garage mostly, until a sunny day, car show, cruise in comes along. Now I have drag raced it once but not at the track, and probably will again if someone happens to come along that would be considered of having a chance.

I was raised to respect the value of a dollar, and care for what I spend my hard earned money for. I dont know how many here have their Boss paid for, but I'm making payments. All who own one has the right to do with the car as they feel, not to feel obligated to run the piss out the car everytime they turn the key cause it is fast but rather enjoy it anyway they feel that makes them happy. And really it's not fair for you to suggest insult for those that feel proud of not how the car performed, but rather how it could perform and/or look. It's up to the owner, thats all.

It's your money, but you don't need brembo brakes, adjustable shocks and forged internals if you're just going to sit next to it in a lawn chair at the cruise in. The extra money you're paying over a standard GT is so it can withstand the rigors of a day at the track. The only reason I bought this car is because the Ford engineers seemed very serious about making the Boss a true performance car.

Save you money, just buy a V6 and put the stickers on it. Save the track day weapon for those that are going to give her the spurs. And honestly, if you change the fluids after a track day, it's really not that tough on the car. You'll burn up brakes and tires, but the rest of the car will be fine.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Your Car

Your Money

For your enjoyment.

I like to look at factory designs as well as whatever someone else comes up with. I look at ideas, good and "Interesting", on a car. Most every "Personalized" vehicle has something interesting about it.

There is a 1939 Ford CO in my brothers shop. He is making the owners "Ideas" run. Not the most attractive vehicle. Still, interesting to look at and work on.

I like to enjoy the vehicles and sometimes the owners. I DO NOT take the time to criticise the efforts and ideas of other car enthusiasts. It take away from the hobby/sport for me.

My $.02 ;D

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Number23 said:
It's your money, but you don't need brembo brakes, adjustable shocks and forged internals if you're just going to sit next to it in a lawn chair at the cruise in. The extra money you're paying over a standard GT is so it can withstand the rigors of a day at the track. The only reason I bought this car is because the Ford engineers seemed very serious about making the Boss a true performance car.

Save you money, just buy a V6 and put the stickers on it. Save the track day weapon for those that are going to give her the spurs. And honestly, if you change the fluids after a track day, it's really not that tough on the car. You'll burn up brakes and tires, but the rest of the car will be fine.

But I bought the Boss for the stickers! :p

And the track gets my Boss all dirty...

Seriously, though, the Boss is a great car no matter what the intended use.

Sadly we have no track on the island I live on. I get to drag race it twice a year at the only 2 events we have. I drive it on the street, I dont sit in a lawn chair waiting for people to admire it. I like to drive it whenever I can.
Everyone is different, everyone enjoys the car sport in a different way. It is not for me or anyone else to tell someone their way is wrong or not as good. I was under the impression this forum was for Boss owners to share their love of a great car, info on mods, pics, stories, whatever they enjoy.
But it does have some spiffy stickers. :p And I dont fit very well in a Focus. :)

my 2 cents

Number23 said:

So should a Bugatti Veyron owner run their car to to 253mph on the nurburgring flat out, because they were built for it? Or is it OK to just own the car because you like it? Yes, Bosses were built to be tracked, they were also built to be enjoyed. If I enjoy mine by driving it to cruise ins at "dairy queen, who is anyone to tell me I'm wrong?

cbj5259 said:
So should a Bugatti Veyron owner run their car to to 253mph on the nurburgring flat out, because they were built for it? Or is it OK to just own the car because you like it? Yes, Bosses were built to be tracked, they were also built to be enjoyed. If I enjoy mine by driving it to cruise ins at "dairy queen, who is anyone to tell me I'm wrong?

Well, I'd never buy a Veyron for just that reason. I don't see the point of buying performance I could never use.

Number23 said:

jack.gif

Cjmclean31 said:
This thread is headed south. Let people do what they want with their car.
Yes it is. We've only ever locked a couple of threads in the history of BMO and this just became the third.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMO Supporting Vendors