The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Honestly-is the Boss too much car to enjoy on the street?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Took the Boss out today and driving at 80 miles an hour was a challenge-I wanted to go much faster...

My friend sold his Z06 because he said it was too much car to enjoy on the street.

I am starting to feel the same way about the Boss. Some cars probably only belong on the track and the Boss might be one of those.

Have you taken it to a track?

My MDX is too much car for the street too. Meaning I cannot drive it to its full capabilities safely on the street.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
25 years of hovering over a computer monitor has blown the discs in my cervical spine.

My car will never see the track-at least with me behind the wheel.

four-walling said:
Took the Boss out today and driving at 80 miles an hour was a challenge-I wanted to go much faster...

My friend sold his Z06 because he said it was too much car to enjoy on the street.

I am starting to feel the same way about the Boss. Some cars probably only belong on the track and the Boss might be one of those.
I just don't get this at all, all high performance cars are too much for the street. What did you think you were getting when you bought your Boss?

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
orng302 said:
I just don't get this at all, all high performance cars are too much for the street. What did you think you were getting when you bought your Boss?

That is a damn good question. I have owned several Porsches and they were more engaging around town as a daily driver.

The Boss hauls ass, nothing wrong with that.

Everyone enjoys their cars differently. Some daily drive it, some park it an a garage and make it shine, and others have purchased it solely to track it.

i daily drive mine and it makes my drive to and from work a joy. But i understand what you're saying, it is very easy to go above the speed limit in these cars; so be careful and enjoy.

It's tough having a back problem in a car like this. Does the suspension and seating position bother you at all?

GA
four-walling said:

Honest answer and opinion: yes, it is too much performance for the street. But so is my Brembo GT and half the other cars on the road. If you really want to enjoy it, you need to take it to auto cross, a road course or drag strip. If you can't do that, then just don't get Track Key, put the dampener settings on "1", and just enjoy the fact that you are driving a cool car that many others will drool over and wish they could have.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
F.D. Sako said:
It's tough having a back problem in a car like this. Does the suspension and seating position bother you at all?

The Recaro seat is the most comfortable seat in any car that I have ever owned.

To me, its perfect.

GA
four-walling said:
The Recaro seat is the most comfortable seat in any car that I have ever owned.

To me, its perfect.

That's a great reason to keep your Boss right there. :) I would love to have them but me and my girth woudn't allow me to fit in the car with a helmet.

four-walling said:
I can see that. I had an LS3 Vette and found that it was actually boring to drive around the city. If there was any hint of fun, it was illegal. I think the combination of low end torque and tall gearing let it get to the speed limit too easily and the low center of gravity and wide tires made cornering flat and effortless. I have no complaint about the Vette except that maybe it was too good, hence boring.

I find the Boss is more enjoyable to drive. With the gearing and high rev power band, you can actually let it rev up and enjoy the sound without going completely illegal. The handling feels agile and allows some play before the nannies kick in. (Yes, I leave them on.) The Boss is just more fun around town when not approaching it's performance limits. They are very different cars to achieve similar results. I guess I am a Mustang guy at heart because even after having the Vette a couple of years, every time I got into it, I felt like I was driving somebody else's car.

I don't even know if that makes any sense to anybody but me. ;D

I think it's perfect car for the street. I'm coming from 1000rwhp Shebly that would blow 325/50/15 drag radial off at 100 plus.

I enjoy every corner espcially the ones when no one is in front on me.

I think it's all about self control.... Even a 1000 HP car can cruise around at 1/4 throttle if you keep your foot out of it. Personally I think it's a great balance of power and suspension/braking.

I agree with you, your Boss is too much car for the street. My DD Ford Fiesta seems just right for the street, as when it pushes 90mph it really has a tough time. I will be more than happy to trade you my manageable street Fiesta for your unmanageable Boss 302. Its the least I could do for you. ;D

Not in the least. Can we exercise all the great capabilities the Boss has to offer on the street with daily driving? Probably not. But is it too much to enjoy?????? NO. I enjoy it nearly every single day as my Boss is the daily driver. It makes my drive to work and home the most awesome drive for me......

After a long day at work, I get in the Boss and forget it about it all; the exhaust, great sound, great handling, and all that power if I need it;

Is it too much ---- no way.

I use to drive my sport bikes too aggresive on the streets, I felt a need to drive fast all the time..
Then I bought a race bike and tracked it. The need to go fast on the streets all the time stopped after going on the track.
I never tracked a car yet, but I can guess afterwards be same as my bike..

To answer the question, NO! The Boss merges into traffic with ease, completes emergency stops from 60mph in 108 feet, Recaro keeps you firmly in the seat, AdvanceTrac keeps you out of the weeds, 18.6 MPG on the street, 6.8 MPG on track and 10SPM (Smiles per mile). It an environmental friendly safety vehicle!

HackBoss302 said:
To answer the question, NO! The Boss merges into traffic with ease, completes emergency stops from 60mph in 108 feet, Recaro keeps you firmly in the seat, AdvanceTrac keeps you out of the weeds, 18.6 MPG on the street, 6.8 MPG on track and 10SPM (Smiles per mile). It an environmental friendly safety vehicle!

i see you've justified that in your head pretty well, haha. im going to use your logic.

I've only driven my Boss on the street/highway & love it. There are many opportunities to enjoy all the aspects of this hot rod without going to the track...you just have to be careful of LE! I do agree this baby was made for the track, so all you track rats enjoy it. BTW I get 12 SPM ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMO Supporting Vendors