The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Honey Badger GT350 Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
Ho boy! New clutch is here and it's MAGNIFICIENT!

This is the full race setup from Spec. Billet AL flywheel with maximum weight reduction and their 184mm twin disc road race assembly.

IMG_0532.JPEG
IMG_0531.JPEGIMG_0533.JPEGIMG_0534.JPEG

As seen above, the pack is only a bit over 8in at widest.
IMG_0535.JPEG

Compared to the OEMs 10.75-ish
IMG_0528.JPEG

So how are we looking for weight? OEM clutch pack is about 19.6lbs.

IMG_0527.JPEG

The entire Spec clutch kit is 20.6lbs, effectively eliminating the entire OEM flywheel worth of rotational mass.
IMG_0530.JPEG

Rowdy!

TX
I'm pretty excited about it. With the VCT delete, engine blueprinting, ported TB, etc. the engine is pretty snappy, but you can definitely feel it's held back by the 52lbs stock flywheel/clutch assembly.

Unfortunately it looks like it'll be April before I get to test it out. I found some damage to the front struts that will keep me out while I wait for parts. Currently exploring options, but leaning towards a JRI setup from Cortex.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Ho boy! New clutch is here and it's MAGNIFICIENT!

This is the full race setup from Spec. Billet AL flywheel with maximum weight reduction and their 184mm twin disc road race assembly.

View attachment 72701
View attachment 72702View attachment 72700View attachment 72698

As seen above, the pack is only a bit over 8in at widest.
View attachment 72699

Compared to the OEMs 10.75-ish
View attachment 72704

So how are we looking for weight? OEM clutch pack is about 19.6lbs.

View attachment 72705

The entire Spec clutch kit is 20.6lbs, effectively eliminating the entire OEM flywheel worth of rotational mass.
View attachment 72703

Rowdy!
That's pretty sexy....what did that set you back?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wyoming
I know Kevin is always tuning his skills on track and so no better to appreciate that gorgeous clutch. I should not admit to less than always precise clutch work, but I'm wondering if it might be a mistake to put this light-weight set in a car mostly driven on the street? I know I'm missing the point here a bit. The pure route should be best. Most of the time.

TX
I know Kevin is always tuning his skills on track and so no better to appreciate that gorgeous clutch. I should not admit to less than always precise clutch work, but I'm wondering if it might be a mistake to put this light-weight set in a car mostly driven on the street? I know I'm missing the point here a bit. The pure route should be best. Most of the time.
Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with the OEM clutch setup and the only reason I am changing mine is I've done enough work to the motor that I feel the weight of the OEM clutch is really holding it back. Theoretically, this clutch will make the car less driveable and more on/off. Probably not a great combo for the street, but can't say for sure. Going to be a little while before I get to test it since I need to get new coilovers before the next track day.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wyoming
Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with the OEM clutch setup and the only reason I am changing mine is I've done enough work to the motor that I feel the weight of the OEM clutch is really holding it back. Theoretically, this clutch will make the car less driveable and more on/off. Probably not a great combo for the street, but can't say for sure. Going to be a little while before I get to test it since I need to get new coilovers before the next track day.
Oh, there's a bit a fun, new coilovers. What kind are you thinking? I'm a long way before I move to coilovers, but maybe (as usual) sooner than I expect. Right now I almost always put the suspension mode in "Track" because it makes the car most predictable, even going to the grocery store. So I'm thinking if that's where I live with it, why not up the quality on the dampers and set them more exactly to my taste. Robbing banks could move the timeline closer but not a recommended path.

TX
Oh, there's a bit a fun, new coilovers. What kind are you thinking? I'm a long way before I move to coilovers, but maybe (as usual) sooner than I expect. Right now I almost always put the suspension mode in "Track" because it makes the car most predictable, even going to the grocery store. So I'm thinking if that's where I live with it, why not up the quality on the dampers and set them more exactly to my taste. Robbing banks could move the timeline closer but not a recommended path.
You joke about robbing banks, but man.. my buddy have been brainstorming how we can come up with a significant income source to offset or an effective get-rich-quick scheme 🤣

Right now, I'm Cortex/JRI as there is a good community of cars/drivers I trust that I can work with on fine-tuning the setup, sharing details, etc. Plus, some of the folks I trust on the matter all agree the JRI system is superior in design (can be self-serviced, don't require the use of remotes, etc.).

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
You joke about robbing banks, but man.. my buddy have been brainstorming how we can come up with a significant income source to offset or an effective get-rich-quick scheme 🤣
Simple solution. Sell quality racing parts on TMO. Lol.

TX
Simple solution. Sell quality racing parts on TMO. Lol.
Step 1 - design high quality parts
Step 2 - manufacture said parts
Step 3 - ???
Step 4 - profit!

TMO Supporting Vendors