The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hood Chip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Was drivin in mild traffic when a county pickup that fills pot holes cuts right in front of me :mad:
By the time I could slam to a stop I heard the familiar ting ting. Now i have 2 - 1/8th size chips at the tip of the hood.

Suggestions ? I feel like just takin it to a bodyshop im so pissed. Bound to happen but this dude clearly saw me (CO Boss - not exactly a ninja), knows full on well what hes carrying,
and cuts me off <Begin Road Rage> Jersey style

Thanks

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
My brother, a GM at a Ford Dealer, had the body shop fix my 07 GT by putting paint in the chips, letting it dry and then buffing it out. You could not tell.

Brian

Thats good to know - i'll call Downs Ford and see if they have a master in the shop - i've had great past experiences there.

Do you guys use a clear Bra ? I'm DDing this boss on sunny days and would love to track it this summer - would be 1st time on the track (beginners course) :)
Or do you just deal with it and get it fixed in like a week, month ?

thanks
Rob

I hadn't used clear bra on any of my cars before, but the leading edge of these hoods gets hammered. My '07 GT500 is near perfect except the front clip, leading edge of the hood and the "fake" rear brake scoops. I put clear bra on the front of the fenders and leading foot of the hood and am glad I did. My front clip is heavily "dented" (paint doesn't chip off the plastic easy) but the hood is almost perfect and I track my car a lot. It's definitely saved a bunch of chips. My windshield is completely sandblasted so I'm guessing that's what the front of my hood would look like without the clear bra. New windshields are about $260 installed and are the price of admission for a track car every year or two.

Excellent info and many thanks guys - I run the car pretty hard but want it purty too :)
Ill be doing some research into the above products and just get it done post chip fix - i know i wont stay mint but want basic protection

Rock On

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
batman48195 said:
Check this out. I have seen mention of guys using this clear protective film that you can take off and reapply.

http://www.buyroadwrap.com/

Brian

I've used a similar product, Tracwrap (http://www.tracwrap.com/). It does work, but it's not like getting a ClearBra installed.

Ford sells paint sticks too, and they are pretty cheap. I bought one to fix the chip the dealer made, but haven't got around to doing it so don't know how good it works.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Cali - I did, I made 2 passes. My guess is that if I kept going it might have gotten a little better. The problem is that the 'crater'is very shallow, when you use step #2 I believe it's taking paint out of the 'hole' as well as off of the good paint around it.

Maybe try doing step 1 multiple times until it is full before doing step 2, or put the rag over a block so it doesn't go in the hole. I've never used their products.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
I hadn't used clear bra on any of my cars before, but the leading edge of these hoods gets hammered. My '07 GT500 is near perfect except the front clip, leading edge of the hood and the "fake" rear brake scoops. I put clear bra on the front of the fenders and leading foot of the hood and am glad I did. My front clip is heavily "dented" (paint doesn't chip off the plastic easy) but the hood is almost perfect and I track my car a lot. It's definitely saved a bunch of chips. My windshield is completely sandblasted so I'm guessing that's what the front of my hood would look like without the clear bra. New windshields are about $260 installed and are the price of admission for a track car every year or two.

Did you put a clear strip on the Tiger hood, or does the FG not react to rocks like the stock hood does?

TMO Supporting Vendors