The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hood decision for the car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Stock hood is a bit boring. I really like the look of a number of hoods with scoops and vents. I get the more venting the better to help reduce heat but also to help reduce air pressure / lift on the front end. Looking for both a look and practical / functional upgrade. What other considerations did you use when upgrading / adding vents?

I keep coming back to this or similar.

So, to the folks who have been looking and talking about this, what advice learning do you have? Also, if you have a black car with carbon fiber hood, Im interested in pictures. Not sold on CF, leaning to painted with stripes but I am certainly open.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Honestly just go to Chicane23.com since he distributes to everyone else and pay a bit more. The " Tiger Hood " is well proven to not only help a little with downforce but also to really reduce engine heat. The ones you are viewing now, imho, are just for looks and why not spend a bit more for a decade proven design. The fiberglass ones are less than CF and you can always ask Jonathan Blevins if he has any blems or used hoods for sale.

Darn, looks like they are unavailable for your car at present. I would call and see when they may have more as you have some months before you can race in Snowy Colorado.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Honestly just go to Chicane23.com since he distributes to everyone else and pay a bit more. The " Tiger Hood " is well proven to not only help a little with downforce but also to really reduce engine heat. The ones you are viewing now, imho, are just for looks and why not spend a bit more for a decade proven design. The fiberglass ones are less than CF and you can always ask Jonathan Blevins if he has any blems or used hoods for sale.

Darn, looks like they are unavailable for your car at present. I would call and see when they may have more as you have some months before you can race in Snowy Colorado.

Funny thing. It snowed yesterday / last night. Roads here were a bit covered at sunup. I debated a trailer and dragging to the track. As expected, temp is spiking, roads are clear, they are running an open track day at Pueblo and at PPIR. Instead of that, I am pretending to do home work, researching brakes 'n hoods and playing dad.

Who is Jonathan Blevins? Is he like John Galt? Should I know?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Jonathan Blevins owns Chicane23 but he is also the Ultimate Street Car Challenge Champion in his Class for 2018, 2019 and 2021. Sorry, but if you call Chicane 23 you are likely get him. At present there are not any hoods for your car and I don't know if he has some coming in the future? Wouldn't hurt to make a call.

Last edited:

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
The hoods you linked to are cosmetic only. Tiger Racing hoods have been proven time and time again. My personal favorite, however, has been my current stock hood with Race Louvers, which are also proven in a wind tunnel. Trackspec louvers are another proven option. I picked up a matching hood from a junk yard and cut it up. Works like a charm.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
The hoods you linked to are cosmetic only. Tiger Racing hoods have been proven time and time again. My personal favorite, however, has been my current stock hood with Race Louvers, who are also proven in a wind tunnel. Trackspec louvers are another proven option. I picked up a matching hood from a junk yard and cut it up. Works like a charm.

Thanks, I've actually started looking down this route based on the above and a couple other hood threads I found after I posted up. Been thinking about re-striping the whole car so not sure if I want to do it to the current hood or get a donor. Don't know if I need an unmolested on just taking up space in the garage.....

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
We have wind tunnel tested many hood vent designs and hoods and have data on our website. Most hoods and hood vents on the market are cosmetic and have little functionality, ours are top notch. www.racelouvers.com

Worked great with my car, dropped engine temps to the extent that I never get anywhere near maximum coolant or oil temps with just the stock PP cooling. As a nice bonus took a full second a lap off my best at Mosport. Also added side vents, they help some more but the center vent is the real workhorse.

They may not be pretty, but they sure as hell do work.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
^^^ Along those lines... I went with a GT500 hood and trackspec louvers. They probably don't provide as much downforce at race speeds as the the racelouvers but they did reduce heat and they do look good.

hood.jpg

Just a word of warning, there is a difference between "race quality" fiberglass and "street car" quality fiberglass, so make sure what you are getting. As an example tiger hoods are very functional but if needed, you can also rip them off the car with your bare hands to get the vehicle back on track. They might make street/race versions so check.
and yes, Racelouvers are the bomb IMO

Since I have used both the stock hood with Trackspec replacement vents and now a Tiger Racing CF hood, I guess I should mention that if you drive your car on the street and in rain, there is no engine protection from water. For that reason, I have to be careful when it rains at the track and make sure I get a cover on the car or put it in the trailer. I have never run my car in the rain on track but I would imagine someone with vents or the Tiger hood has so maybe I'm overthinking it. All I know is my big air filter is clearly visible through my hood vents and would be soaked if it rained.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Since I have used both the stock hood with Trackspec replacement vents and now a Tiger Racing CF hood, I guess I should mention that if you drive your car on the street and in rain, there is no engine protection from water. For that reason, I have to be careful when it rains at the track and make sure I get a cover on the car or put it in the trailer. I have never run my car in the rain on track but I would imagine someone with vents or the Tiger hood has so maybe I'm overthinking it. All I know is my big air filter is clearly visible through my hood vents and would be soaked if it rained.
I've sat through 2 gulley washers and ran laps during a couple of pretty decent rainfalls and nothing happened. Er-r-r, to the car that is, the driver scared the crap out of himself a time or two!
I have a lexan cover on the air intake so no water gets in there even though it's sitting pretty much right under an open hood vent. They seem to do a pretty decent job waterproofing the engine and related stuff these days.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I switched to the center Race Louvers specifically because they don't open over the air filter. I have the Ford Performance intake and it is still completely sealed to the hood, even with the Race Louvers. I have the same body style as the OP, so just want to put that out there for him. The rest of the engine bay is still open, but at speed the water is probably not entering the vents. It might while driving around the pits, but not sure it's enough to be concerned about.

TMO Supporting Vendors