The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hood latch looking worn out from too much action?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey all,

My hood latch is like the village bicycle or something. She's looking pretty busted. I've attached an up close photo. My car has 1700 miles on it. I don't open the hood multiple times a day. ???

hood_latch.jpg

Mines the same way and I rarely open my hood. Its just something that happens. You could touch it up but youd have to do it uite often since the locking mechnism is what causes that scraping

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
mines way more abused. its paint vs the metal latch. you cant over come friction its just going to wear the paint off no matter what. Dont sweat it.

Mine was like that when the car had just 50 miles on it, nothing you can do. At first I even tried to close the hood my moving the latch over (instead of slamming it through), no dice.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
575980_458098997556010_641292686_n.jpg

VS

427260_458098930889350_813979007_n.jpg

SURPRISED of outcome ???????????

Guys take it easy on him. He likes pretty latches, other people like 20 coats of zaino. Each to his own. And some cars don't get so beat up on the latches.

You could try removing it and stripping the paint off. If it is bare metal, it might look better. The bubbling paint under there drives me nuts, so I never even looked at the latch.

i've noticed the latch damage as well.

i can't close the hood by placing it down and pushing on it gently, like other cars.
i have to drop the hood to close it, which im guessing what is causing the damage to the latch. i wonder if moving the latching mechanism up a bit would help get the hood to latch by pushing instead of dropping.

i dont mind the damage; its just annoying and loud to drop the hood everytime i check the oil or admire the engine lol.

CaliMR said:
Guys take it easy on him. He likes pretty latches, other people like 20 coats of zaino. Each to his own. And some cars don't get so beat up on the latches.

You could try removing it and stripping the paint off. If it is bare metal, it might look better. The bubbling paint under there drives me nuts, so I never even looked at the latch.

Thanks Cali. I'm just surprised it looks like the hood latch on my 10 year old Acura after such a short amount of time. Since it's not isolated to me I'll move on. ;D

The paint on these cars seems to be particularly thin, or at least fragile. I think part of it is environmental regs affecting what they can make the paint out of.

I also wrote about this the day after I picked up the Boss, looks crappy on a new car. They use to paint the latches black in the middle, at least my white 08 was like that.

TMO Supporting Vendors