The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

hood louvers for the 12s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thought i saw these discussed in another post. wasnt sure if you guys had seen this particular brand
http://www.cervinis.com/mustang-louver-hood-inserts.html

The smoked tails are not a bad price, $99 after core exchange, assuming they are well done. I rather have the 13 tails but that would be a nice upgrade on the 12s.

They were on the same link, figured it was ok. For the price of the louvers and adding them to the stock hood, going aftermarket for something that already has them seems the better way to do it. Plus you still have your stock hood you can put back on. Assuming you pay someone to install them, and have to paint them, etc. If you do it yourself it is probably a significant cost savings.

Scratch that, just looked at hoods. They are a lot more expensive than the ones for my old car. It actually is a pretty good deal. Has anyone installed them to see how they really look?

SMACK78 said:
thought i saw these discussed in another post. wasnt sure if you guys had seen this particular brand
http://www.cervinis.com/mustang-louver-hood-inserts.html
Would love to see a better picture of these with full hood and under hood view of install

I had seen these the other day in a Mustang magazine. They look interesting. I have been meaning to go to my Ford dealer and see if the louvers are available seperatly on the 2013 hood. Both would probably attach the same way. The louver would stick up above the hood slightly. It would not be recessed in.

06mach1 said:
I had seen these the other day in a Mustang magazine. They look interesting. I have been meaning to go to my Ford dealer and see if the louvers are available seperatly on the 2013 hood. Both would probably attach the same way. The louver would stick up above the hood slightly. It would not be recessed in.
I started a thread on this a while back. After further research I decided it wasn't worth the effort. IMO the best route is to buy the Tiger Racing 302S hood in FG and go from there.

GA
CaliMR said:
The smoked tails are not a bad price, $99 after core exchange, assuming they are well done. I rather have the 13 tails but that would be a nice upgrade on the 12s.

I heard somewhere that the company that makes the '05-'09 style tail light assemblies for '10-'12 sold on AmericanMuscle.com is working on a replica of the '13 tail lights for the '10-'12 and should be out later this year. I like the ones they offer now, but I will wait to see these. I bought the matte black tail light trim in the mean time.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
CaliMR said:
They were on the same link, figured it was ok. For the price of the louvers and adding them to the stock hood, going aftermarket for something that already has them seems the better way to do it. Plus you still have your stock hood you can put back on. Assuming you pay someone to install them, and have to paint them, etc. If you do it yourself it is probably a significant cost savings.

Scratch that, just looked at hoods. They are a lot more expensive than the ones for my old car. It actually is a pretty good deal. Has anyone installed them to see how they really look?

Wasn't trying to be a dink, just thought you might have replied to the wrong thread by mistake... Just wanted to see if that was the case and you meant to put that reply elsewhere.

So you can put these louvers on a '12... what about the under hood insulation material? The '13's have slots in them, is there any mention of what to do with what is installed under the hood on a '12?

good question! i have purchased a mach 1 style hood from them in the past and they supplied a very nice stainless style perforated plate that keeps debris from coming into the frontair inlets. I would assume you just trim the insulation and install some sort grille/plate on the under side. ???

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
cervinis related true story. My GF is the reason they have to spell out that its extra to have the underside of the hood painted. And their paint job would have been great except......the shrink wrapped it before it was cured and it has wrinkles in the front in the paint. end of story

The louvers look cool. I would like to see them on a car not just a close up shot but I think its a universal type product. As in it universally doesn't fit anything and you have to make it fit.

06mach1 said:
I see the 2013 hood louvers are available seperately from Ford. There is a right and left and cost is about $150 each.
I'd like to be able to add them but I just don't think they will work. Plus they would need to be recessed to look right. With the time and money you'd spend to add them you'd be better off buying the 302S hood. But I'm in if it can be done correctly at a reasonable price.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
06mach1 said:
I see the 2013 hood louvers are available seperately from Ford. There is a right and left and cost is about $150 each.
I'd like to be able to add them but I just don't think they will work. Plus they would need to be recessed to look right. With the time and money you'd spend to add them you'd be better off buying the 302S hood. But I'm in if it can be done correctly at a reasonable price.
yes at the price point to get them painted and mounted etc you are better off just getting a hood aftermarket that will give you the heat extraction that you are after.

5 DOT 0 said:
Plus they would need to be recessed to look right.

I would agree with this. They really do need to be recessed in. I know a steel hood could be flanged but not so sure about aluminum. I am sure they could be installed if you don't mind the flange of the louver sticking up. I will say the flange on the louver is tapered to the outside though.

I think I saw these on a Mustang going down the road and they did not look bad. Wish I could have followed till he stopped to get a good look and a picture but traffic too heavy.

If some one had any crashed or bent hood off any car you could practice or have a fabrication shop practice putting them in before you did your OEM hood. But I don't think this could be done with out warping the surface some how. If a perfict clean hole could be cut the vents could be attached with panel adheasive from under neath to maintain the recessed appearence. I am sure the 2013 hoods are stamped during molding and production which leaves a beveled lip where the vents sit which is the cleanest way to do it. The supports of the 2013 hood probably has different routing to allow for the vents also. Never seen our hood with out insulation so I don't know if they would fit. After market hoods are cheap. It would be tempting to try this just for grins.

TMO Supporting Vendors