The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hood pins for Tiger Racing hood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello, everyone. Just ordered a Tiger racing hood for my 2012 Boss, and was wanting to know if it is nessary to install hood pins on it? Some people have told me to do it, others have told me you don't really need too. Also, was curious if you can use the MRT hood struts with the FG version of the Tiger hood? Just was wondering everyone's opinion on this. And, if so where is a good place to purchase them and brand? Also, getting my LS wing installed at the same time... ;D

I contacted MRT and they told me they have different struts based on the weight of your hood. I'd call them directly and confirm what you need. Personally I'd keep the stock hood latch and add two hood pins on the outside. Good luck with your install!

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-slide-style-captive-hood-pins-for-ford-mustang.html

I installed 4 of these, like the 302S. I would definitely add at least 2 and keep the stock hood latch, like Rick said.

I talked to MRT and they were not very friendly over the phone. They do make different load struts, but they say to use the same strut for the production 31lb hood and the Tiger racing FG hood weighing 22lbs. From what little I could find out the MRT strut is the same load as the Roush hood strut which is too much and bows the hood. So far Steeda thinks theirs would work. I have been trying to contact Paul Brown @ Tiger Racing to see if he can recommend a strut source but I am having no luck getting a response either by phone or e-mail.

98RedGT

2012 #552
Where did you get the hood from, do you have a link to it? I did some searching online but must be doing something wrong as my efforts are not yielding any positive results.

Thanks, for all the info on this... I will probably go with the steeda hood pins. Anyway I ordered the hood thru Chicane 23. They are out of Dallas, TX. They are running a special on these hoods for this week 675.00 plus shipping and crate fee. You can contact them online or @ 972-987-5640.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
bulldogracer said:
I talked to MRT and they were not very friendly over the phone. They do make different load struts, but they say to use the same strut for the production 31lb hood and the Tiger racing FG hood weighing 22lbs. From what little I could find out the MRT strut is the same load as the Roush hood strut which is too much and bows the hood. So far Steeda thinks theirs would work. I have been trying to contact Paul Brown @ Tiger Racing to see if he can recommend a strut source but I am having no luck getting a response either by phone or e-mail.

Paul's racing this weekend in Ohio. I'd give him a week or so if you still need to get in touch with him.

Jza1736 said:
http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-slide-style-captive-hood-pins-for-ford-mustang.html

I installed 4 of these, like the 302S. I would definitely add at least 2 and keep the stock hood latch, like Rick said.
I also have four of these. You can actually get them from Tiger Racing when you order the hood.....different brand but identical. My hood still flutters some at 140 mph with four pins so I'd definitely put them in if you're tracking the car.

Again, thanks for all the info.. I ended up ordering some hood pins from steeda. Another question I have for all the people that have installed a Tiger Racing hood is that can you put the windshield washer set-up on the tiger hood or do you have to do away with it when switching to this hood?

bulldogracer said:

If the hood is 22 lbs, put pins at all 4 corners and lift it off. Other than the squirters, does anything else connect? I have seen quick connects for the squirters.

It would be a bit of a pita for just checking oil and stuff, but it would be pretty cool.

I just got my Tiger Racing hood installed and it absolutely looks fantastic, but I think it is going to require hood pins. While it will latch normally, there is maybe a half a millimeter of play when I pull up on the front of the hood. It's been fine driving around at slow speeds (in town driving), but I'm not going to even get on the freeway with it loose like it is. When driving, even at 5 or 10 mph, when I go over a bump I can see the hood shaking. I did intent to install pins before I got it out on a high speed track, but as I don't presently have a lot of time and I use it almost as a daily driver I'll be either putting the stock hood back on or getting pins installed sometime in the near future. If anyone knows of a way or something that might help hold tighten hood down more I'd gladly appreciate it. The pics below are terrible camera snaps but the best I have right now, but you can see how nice it came out.

Cheers
Lego
Performance White #2351

15small.jpg
019small.jpg

Your car looks great... I'm still in the middle of the Tiger hood install and LS wing install. My Boss is also, PW. I was going to go with the wing Black and probably have the hood white with just the heat extractors black. Anyway, did you have any issues with the windshield washer set up on the Tiger hood, or did you have to remove it?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
legof16 said:
I just got my Tiger Racing hood installed and it absolutely looks fantastic, but I think it is going to require hood pins. While it will latch normally, there is maybe a half a millimeter of play when I pull up on the front of the hood. It's been fine driving around at slow speeds (in town driving), but I'm not going to even get on the freeway with it loose like it is. When driving, even at 5 or 10 mph, when I go over a bump I can see the hood shaking. I did intent to install pins before I got it out on a high speed track, but as I don't presently have a lot of time and I use it almost as a daily driver I'll be either putting the stock hood back on or getting pins installed sometime in the near future. If anyone knows of a way or something that might help hold tighten hood down more I'd gladly appreciate it. The pics below are terrible camera snaps but the best I have right now, but you can see how nice it came out.

Cheers
Lego
Performance White #2351

15small.jpg
019small.jpg

If the hood matches the fender height, adjust the latch downward to eliminate the lose hood. If the hood fits below the fenders, crank up the bumpers on the core support. If both are off, adjust both.

If a body shop installed the hood. Let them try again. The hood should not move up and down easily while the vehicle is stationary :)

legof16 said:

Cheers
Lego
Performance White #2351

15small.jpg
019small.jpg

Your second post on this site just topped everybody else's. Your car looks great!

Berol said:
Your second post on this site just topped everybody else's. Your car looks great!
Thanks - This site's been a great resource and it's great to see all the different mods!

TMSBOSS said:
If the hood matches the fender height, adjust the latch downward to eliminate the lose hood. If the hood fits below the fenders, crank up the bumpers on the core support. If both are off, adjust both.

If a body shop installed the hood. Let them try again. The hood should not move up and down easily while the vehicle is stationary :)

I knew there was an adjustment. I didn't want to take it back to the body shop as they did an awesome job with the hood prep and the paint on both the hood and spoiler, but their mechanical skills were... well... not so much. Anyway, you made me get out and check everything by hand and it turns out that the adjustment was all the way down, but it didn't take much more than a drill and dremel to cut just a little bit more of a notch in the attachment bracket. Worked like a champ. It's as tight as stock now. I do think I'll still install hood pins eventually before it sees serious track time, but at least I'm not afraid to take it on the freeway now :D

rcode1965 said:
Your car looks great... I'm still in the middle of the Tiger hood install and LS wing install. My Boss is also, PW. I was going to go with the wing Black and probably have the hood white with just the heat extractors black. Anyway, did you have any issues with the windshield washer set up on the Tiger hood, or did you have to remove it?
Actually I did. The shop that prepped and installed the hood just told me that there was no way to get it to work so I just told them not to worry about it and right now they are non functional. There was a whole thread on this or at least several posts that I had read in the past about people with the tiger racing hood and what to do with the washer set up. If I get a little more time today to find it I'll post it here again. I'm still debating on removing the extra weight of the container and fluid from up front, but more than likely I'll try one of the ideas that I remember seeing in the thread.

Cheers
Lego
Performance White #2351

Berol said:

Does anyone know if the Tiger Hood (CF) works with the CJ intake/TB setup?
I understand it requires a bit of fitment to clear the larger intake, etc. & would like to know if anyone has done this.
Thanks in advance,
Lee.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
lbp said:
Does anyone know if the Tiger Hood (CF) works with the CJ intake/TB setup?
I understand it requires a bit of fitment to clear the larger intake, etc. & would like to know if anyone has done this.
Thanks in advance,
Lee.

Bumping 4 threads with the same question is VERY bad forum etiquette. See the 302S winter mod thread.

TMO Supporting Vendors