The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hood Pins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I want to install a couple of hood pins on my 2013 where the two inner rubber stoppers are located. What all needs to come off to be able to get to the underside of the core support? I was able to get the plastic piece but it's everything else I'm not sure about and don't want to break stuff

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
If you are only installing the outer two pins, you should be able to get the pins installed by pulling the front grill and loosening the headlight bolts on the top. Really only need enough room to get a finger in there to hold the nut in place.

I wrote this for installing Aerocatch pins but should work for all others too.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?901488-Aerocatch-install-How-to&highlight=

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Black Boss said:
If you are removing the stock latch and relying on the pins, the spools should be welded in. Rehagen also sell the spools, and welded mine in place.

No wouldn't replace the latch, just adding them to make sure the hood doesn't come off at the track

I like the idea of the Watson Racing hood pin spools to provide a stronger, stiffer attachment point for the hood pins - but I didn't want to go through the trouble of welding them in and touch up painting. I also wanted to make the installation reversible.

So I modified the spools with external threads so they could be "bolted" in place. The head of the spools were modified with the addition of two "flats" to hold to the spool when installing and tightening the nylon insert lock nuts. A stainless steel fender washer is installed under the spool flange and another under the lock nuts. After making the modifications, the spools were parkerized, the dark gray surface treatment.

Now I just need the Tiger hood to finish the install project.

HoodPinSpoolMod.jpg

CustomHoodPinSpools1.jpg

CustomHoodPinSpools2.jpg

That's a great solution!
I need to put pins in mine because the hood really flaps around above 100 or so.
Every time I look at the latch I wonder how it holds up so well.
I'm doing the outer two only.
Thanks!

gww52 said:
That's a great solution!
I need to put pins in mine because the hood really flaps around above 100 or so.
Every time I look at the latch I wonder how it holds up so well.
I'm doing the outer two only.
Thanks!
This!

Did you modify them or have a local shop do that? That would make installation a lot easier for those of us that don't have welding equipment available or don't want to mess with it.

http://shop.watsonracing.com/Road-Race-Drag-Race-Mustang-Spool-Hood-Pin-Set-p/wr-spoolhoodpinset.htm

The hood pin spools are an "accessory" for the hood pins Watson Racing sells. I was going to modify them myself, but a friend of mine who does machining work wanted to cut the threads after I mentioned the project to him. A 5/8" - 18 tpi die can be bought at my local Ace Hardware for about $20. The trick is to cut the flats so the spool can be held firmly in a vice and then use the die to cut the threads. The tedious part is get the thread cutting die square with the spool when starting the threading operation.

I sent Watson Racing my drawing for their use (with no residual idea ownership on my behalf) and suggested they offer their spools with the modification. I thought others would like the easier installation method.

I wouldn't hurt to ask them.

I took a good look at the area on the radiator support where my newly threaded Watson Racing spools will go.
It will not be a simple bolt in.The hole through the support will need to be drilled
through and something needs to keep the radiator support from just crushing
when you tighten the bolts.I'm going to use some small OD precision washers.
I'll let you know how I do

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel