The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hood Strut Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am looking at the Redline Tuning Hood Strut Kit QuickLIFT PLUS Bolt-In 2005-2014 and it is the only kit that does not come with a hood re-enforcement bracket which looks cleaner but I am worried about the long term effects of possible hood buckling at the strut mount. Does the 2012 Boss 302 come with a stock aluminum hood? If so it is weaker than a stock steel hood so are these struts designed for a steel hood only? I remember on 60's Mustangs if you used the wrong spring size on a fiberglass hood it would crack the hood in half over time.

Tim

http://www.redlinetuning.com/images/QL_images/QL%20PLUS%20Top%20Shot%20HR.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Is the hood aluminum? I noticed some have re-inforcement brackets and these don't and I looked at a newer camaro SS and it was mounted completely different and I was surprised it even had struts to begin with. It had a long and short strut that was mounted inboard of the hood edges. I plan on keeping this car for awhile so I don't want to crack the hood at these mounting points. I don't suppose you guys could open and close your hoods 10,000 times so you can very no damage with these struts? Just kidding but I hope these aftermarket companies are testing these products beyond their 90 day or one year warranty periods. I like the strut idea as I have also had a Mustang hood fall on my head during high winds.

Tim

Tim,
The hoods have been aluminum on the Mustangs since the 2005 models. I have yet to see or hear about hood damage due to hood struts. Have had the Redline on mine for over 2+ yrs now & no issues. I plan on keeping mine for a long time as well.
DSC05674_zpsd9a2f0ea.jpg

Tim,
Meant to add, since you are a prior Huey driver, mine & one of our current birds. Been working on RW since mid 70's myself.
IMG_0283.jpg

I installed the Redline kit on my 2011 that I traded in, and it worked great. I was really worried about the drilling, but it came out fine. One side fully opened 1/4" early, it does not take much error to end up like that. I think the chassis was slightly twisted, as I did not install on level ground and had no STB. Not sure if that made a difference, but worth thinking about if you are getting the drilling required kit.

For the Boss, I installed the no-drill kit with the brackets for the fender mounts. Problem is they twisted, even though they were tight, and dented the fender a little from pressing against it and took off some paint, too. They did not fit tight to the fender, had a 1/16" gap. So I uninstalled and might throw them away... The only way I would reinstall is if I welded on a 4" spacer to the bracket to keep it from twisting and further damaging the car. I would rather drill than deal with the brackets again, though.

aircare84 said:
Tim,
Meant to add, since you are a prior Huey driver, mine & one of our current birds. Been working on RW since mid 70's myself.
IMG_0283.jpg

Hello aircare84;
You must fly for life flight or one of the many air evacuation companies? I retired a couple of years before the UH-1H was finally retired for good. It was a great hobby that I got paid to do. Be safe!

Tim

WinterSucks said:
I installed the Redline kit on my 2011 that I traded in, and it worked great. I was really worried about the drilling, but it came out fine. One side fully opened 1/4" early, it does not take much error to end up like that. I think the chassis was slightly twisted, as I did not install on level ground and had no STB. Not sure if that made a difference, but worth thinking about if you are getting the drilling required kit.

For the Boss, I installed the no-drill kit with the brackets for the fender mounts. Problem is they twisted, even though they were tight, and dented the fender a little from pressing against it and took off some paint, too. They did not fit tight to the fender, had a 1/16" gap. So I uninstalled and might throw them away... The only way I would reinstall is if I welded on a 4" spacer to the bracket to keep it from twisting and further damaging the car. I would rather drill than deal with the brackets again, though.

Thanks for the information!

Tim

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
WinterSucks said:

i have the new redline kit on mine. No drilling way better then the mrt design

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Justin said:
i have the new redline kit on mine. No drilling way better then the mrt design

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was told by a MRT salesman (Jason) that unless MRT installs the parts they sell that MRT will not warranty them. I found this out on a bracket that the adhesive failed on my rear window louvers. I am steering clear of that company.

Tim

The stock hood is indeed fiberglass, not aluminum. I took a hard chip to the front edge of the hood and it was definitely 'glass underneath. Knock on it, it doesn't ring like alloy. It's solid like fiberglass, cause it is.

straightliner1 said:
The stock hood is indeed fiberglass, not aluminum. I took a hard chip to the front edge of the hood and it was definitely 'glass underneath. Knock on it, it doesn't ring like alloy. It's solid like fiberglass, cause it is.

All newer Mustang stock hoods are aluminum, not fiberglass. They have been aluminum since the intro of the '05 models. Perhaps the nose/grill piece is plastic on the 13 & 14 models
The Tiger Racing hoods are fiberglass & I believe they offer a carbon fiber one as well.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
aircare84 said:
All newer Mustang stock hoods are aluminum, not fiberglass. They have been aluminum since the intro of the '05 models. Perhaps the nose/grill piece is plastic on the 13 & 14 models
The Tiger Racing hoods are fiberglass & I believe they offer a carbon fiber one as well.
i agree. Fiberglass hoods ate heavier then the alum hoods we have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel