The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hood Struts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maui
Has anyone thought about putting in hood struts for their Boss? I have some redline struts in my truck and really like the look and convenience. Any suggestions? Redline looks like a good company to go with. Thanks.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
I put MRT's hood struts on mine. Incredibly easy installation and will hold the hood up in the wind.

Maui
Dig-It said:
I put MRT's hood struts on mine. Incredibly easy installation and will hold the hood up in the wind.

Did you need to rivet in the brackets for the hood struts? Any need for drilling with the MRT hood struts?

Thanks for the reply and the help...

I just got the MRT struts. The only mod is moving the sound canister mount from the top of the fender to the underside. The directions are on their website. I went with the same color as the car.

Maui
MRT seems popular. I like the fact that no drilling is required... How durable are they for those who have them? The brackets are a potential eyesore though, so I might need to paint the brackets kona blue to help... I have redline hood struts on my truck and they have held up well over the last few years. I've noticed the redline hood struts raise the hood a little higher or at least it appears that way on the GT forums... I'm a little apprehensive about drilling and riveting with the redline kit so maybe the MRTs.. We'll see.

They are very easy to install. They seem to have good pressure to hold the hood up.
As 808Boss says, I was concerned about the brackets standing out. Here are some pictures of the painted brackets. They do a great job matching factory colors. I also included a pic of the relocated canister.
This is my first time inserting pictures so here goes....

IMG_0984a.jpg
IMG_0983a.jpg
IMG_0985a.jpg

Maui
Thanks 65 venom! Those struts look nice. Did you order them struts pre-painted from the MRT site or did you paint them yourself?
Looks real nice!

Maui
Finally got my MRT hood struts last week...Got them painted as well, I thought what the heck... The brackets look much better custom matched. IMO
317814_10150345789608704_580538703_7961936_523345541_n.jpg

297954_10150345790763704_580538703_7961937_514628691_n.jpg

297842_10150345790848704_580538703_7961939_1866899910_n.jpg

Maui
SUPRMN said:
Any chance of getting a link to these Struts? Or where you may have gotten them from.

Sure. The hood struts are MRT and I bought them straight from the company and paid an extra $50 to have the brackets custom painted by them. Here is the link.
http://www.mrt-direct.com/hoodstruts.html

I was originally thinking about getting redline hood struts, but with those you need to use pop-rivets and probably drill into car. The MRT hood struts do not require any drilling so you can easily take them off at a later date.

808Boss said:
SUPRMN said:
Any chance of getting a link to these Struts? Or where you may have gotten them from.

Sure. The hood struts are MRT and I bought them straight from the company and paid an extra $50 to have the brackets custom painted by them. Here is the link.
http://www.mrt-direct.com/hoodstruts.html

I was originally thinking about getting redline hood struts, but with those you need to use pop-rivets and probably drill into car. The MRT hood struts do not require any drilling so you can easily take them off at a later date.

Thanks for the link.....here at work and trying to put together a list of things to order over the winter. 65 Venom, or anyone......what's the paint code for Yellow Blaze? All my paperwork is unavailable for the moment.

Dig-It said:
They look great and I might order them. Curious about the wind though. We were at MPH Friday and it was blowing probably 30-40 MPH. I faced my car away from the wind to open the hood to pull my grille. The "stick" kept it propped up. My buddy in his C6 Z06 got thumped on the head when his struts "failed" due to the high winds. I guess you could always "double down" with the stick in a high wind condition.

TMO Supporting Vendors