The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hood Venting? vs Cowl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
I need to either fix or replace my hood. My 200lb Gorilla thought for all my builds going back 20 years has always been to put a raised Cowl hood on it. (show queens & drag) Are they effective on the track or is venting the hood through forward center vents better for Track use?

I understand that the forward center venting helps prevent hood lift and some turbulence but does a cowl induction hood design actually vent enough hot air? I'm only considering a 2-3 Cowl hood or something like the Shelby GT-H hood. (I don't want anything that will effect visibility.) These hoods would also allow me to use the CJ or Boss intake with a Strut tower bar on my S550.

What I've wanted to do up until this point is get the large TrackSpec center and two side vents to my factory hood.

'16 GT Not a committed race car but maybe eventually.

DFW, TX
Cowl induction hoods pull fresh air from the high pressure area at the base of the windshield rather than vent hot air out.

I think most cowl induction setups are just for hood clearance issues and style rather than function. The stock hood seals the engine compartment from the high pressure area as that is where your air intake for inside ventilation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
I have a Keenan 3" cowl hood on my car. It would not be my first choice for a track car. Visibility is impaired, engine cooling is impaired, down force is reduced, and the location of the air intake at the front of the engine doesn't take advantage of the only benefit of the cowl hood.

Put some track spec louvers on the hood or get the Tiger hood if you have deeper pockets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The above is correct, cowl lets air in, not out, it pulls from the high pressure area around the base of the windshield lik bpracer stated, I actually have a fair amount of experience with the Z28 style hoods, they definitely work..(i was about 12 years old then, but I worked on a T/A car, I can spot a real late 60s , Z28 from a fake Z28 a mile away).
Since, in our cars the intake air is pulled from someplace else (hopefully not from the underhood area) a cowl hood doesn't really work. However, louvers in the front of the hood , to pull air out, work very well..but you have to be careful about how close to the front of the car you get for them to be effective.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel