The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hoosier A6's - Track Use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone used A6's on the track rather than autocross? Hoosier advised they would be fine for 25-30 min sessions but I was wondering if anyone had any exereince with them? Info on the best way to do the initial heat cycle would be very helpful. Hoosier recommends scuffing the A6's in for autocross use but didn't have any recomendations on what to do when using them on a road course.

I just ran two sessions at Summit Point on them. So far so good. They get sticky. After I left the track I picked up marbles the size of your thumbnail, sticking to the tire. It looked like a big sushi roll.
But you have to watch the temps and constantly adjust them "after" your session to keep the hot temps 40-42 MAX.

Sean. Sorry, I lied. I have the R6's on my car. My set of A6's are still in the garage, going on next.

But on the second day using the R6's, its an amazing tire. Best tire I've used to date.

I managed to creep near to the lap record at Summit Point (for NASA American Iron cars) within 4 seconds this morning...more work to do.

Nice Darren! I hear the A6's are little quicker than the R's but they heat up and lose grip faster. I'm heading to Watkins Glen tomorrow. It might be a little wet but I will let you know what I think of the A's when I get back.

In case anyone has the 295/40/18 A6's and hasn't use them yet, I just got back from Watkins Glen and this what I found. I scrubbed them in a couple days ago with a 20 min medium speed trip around my area. I ran them 4 sessions today - two 30 min sessions and two 40-45 min sessions. I started the pressures at 31lbs and made a couple slight adjustments but saw pressures in the 40-42lb range at the end of every session. I was running at a pretty good clip (2:17 lap times) but wasnt pushing too hard - at no point, even after the 45 mon sessions did the tires fall off or get too slippery. I got the feeling they reward smooth steering input and throttle application. I also didn't expereince much overstear at all (even with a square setup and stock suspension). I did have to use 15mm spacers on the front so I don't know if that helped with the overstear but I would think it would have actually made it worse...guess not. The wear looks very good too. Given the amount of track time today and the extemded sessions, I'd expect them to last at least 4 or 5 more days with similar time/sessions (maybe 6).

This is my first time using the A6's and my first impressions are very positive. I expected them to wear more and lose grip after 20-25 min but it didn't happen.

KBBOSS1086 said:
In case anyone has the 295/40/18 A6's and hasn't use them yet, I just got back from Watkins Glen and this what I found. I scrubbed them in a couple days ago with a 20 min medium speed trip around my area. I ran them 4 sessions today - two 30 min sessions and two 40-45 min sessions. I started the pressures at 31lbs and made a couple slight adjustments but saw pressures in the 40-42lb range at the end of every session. I was running at a pretty good clip (2:17 lap times) but wasnt pushing too hard - at no point, even after the 45 mon sessions did the tires fall off or get too slippery. I got the feeling they reward smooth steering input and throttle application. I also didn't expereince much overstear at all (even with a square setup and stock suspension). I did have to use 15mm spacers on the front so I don't know if that helped with the overstear but I would think it would have actually made it worse...guess not. The wear looks very good too. Given the amount of track time today and the extemded sessions, I'd expect them to last at least 4 or 5 more days with similar time/sessions (maybe 6).

This is my first time using the A6's and my first impressions are very positive. I expected them to wear more and lose grip after 20-25 min but it didn't happen.

Sean,
Excellent. Thanks for the write up. I ordered another set of A6's in this size since its discontinued and I got some last inventory (no more 295/40/18's...so annoyed by that). :mad:
Hoosier said the A6's are softer indeed and will grip better for shorter life, so I look forward to trying these in the June timeframe.

btw, be careful with that spacer. Unless you have ARP studs and other supporting hub reinforcements the spacer can sheer the bolts off and cause devastation....

I researched the spacers for a while, Darren. Steve at Blowfish hooked me up with a set of H&R (Track Spacers). They are hub and wheel centric and very high quality. They came with extended high strength studs. H&R claims the setup is strong enough for track/race use. I kept a close eye on them today and everything seemed good.

PS - you gotta get that car to the Glen!

KBBOSS1086 said:
I researched the spacers for a while, Darren. Steve at Blowfish hooked me up with a set of H&R (Track Spacers). They are hub and wheel centric and very high quality. They came with extended high strength studs. H&R claims the setup is strong enough for track/race use. I kept a close eye on them today and everything seemed good.

PS - you gotta get that car to the Glen!

Good job. Yes. I hear the glen is great in the fall so maybe october!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel