The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

HOOSIER R100 RADIAL SLICK PRESSURES HOT/COLD (NOT DOT SLICK)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLOABoss said:
Lee

When we ran the R100 on strut type suspension we found you didn't need huge negative camber but we ran much stiffer springs. Definently should have around 20 degrees minimum difference inside to outside for proper wear and grip. I will say this it was hard to go back to R6 after running the R100. Keep us informed on what camber you finally decide on

Peter

Peter,
Springs are 500f/450r

- what do you mean by 20 degrees min difference -Oh tire temp?? My understanding is that a less than 10 deg differential across the tire is ideal; no??

We are lowering the car to 4" F/4.25" rear from about 4.5/4.75.

What might you recommend for front camber? we have offset camber bolts to get a bit more.
here is a 2:11 & change @ WGI - I think the lines are OK, but could have carried a bit more speed (would like to get sub 10 at WGI next time - lol):

https://vimeo.com/user8458446/review/45335734/a71e215059

OLOABoss said:
Lee

When we ran the R100 on strut type suspension we found you didn't need huge negative camber but we ran much stiffer springs. Definently should have around 20 degrees minimum difference inside to outside for proper wear and grip. I will say this it was hard to go back to R6 after running the R100. Keep us informed on what camber you finally decide on

Peter
Peter,

How are the Conti slicks in comparison to the R100 in terms of preferred camber and temps? I'm at -3.1 degrees now on a strut setup with FRPP -P springs.

Wish you were making the trip to RA with your buddies. Forecast for Mon/Tue is 79/80 degrees, 0% chance of rain and winds at about 8 mph. Nothing short of perfect 8)

Gary

Here is a reply from Jeff Speer at Hoosier Tire to the questions many have about running the R100 on our B302 cars:

<<Lee,
Sorry for the delayed response as I was out of the office until yesterday. Typical 3000 lbs car will use 30 - 32 psi HOT pressure in our R100 slicks. With your weight a bit higher - I might try 34 - 36 psi HOT.

I feel running any lower than this will wear the outside edges pretty quickly.

I understand this is going to reach you past your event, so any feedback as to what you run would be helpful.>>

<<Lee,
Forgot to add camber settings. I would use the following:

Front: (-2.5 to -2.8 degrees)

Rear: (-2.0 degrees if possible)

Jeff Speer, HRT>>

...Many thanks to Jeff for getting this information to us.

I do however have one other question - Since our B302 cars are quite a bit heavier than the Porsche, etc., that are typically run with the R100, I will ask Jeff about their Bias Ply Slick for our car & post back here when he replies.

Thanks to all who have participated in this thread.

Lee.

cloud9 said:
Thanks for the info Lee. I'll probably stick with my starting cold pressures of 26/25 tomorrow morning tyring to hit 32-34 hot.

Gary,
I started out at 24/24 cold & ended up at 33 hot; then put 1 more pound in the rear & got 34 hot.
I was only able to get -2.20 camber, but will add offset camber blots this week & try for -2.75.
I’ll post back results (also tire temps).
...I think I might also try a pound or two more...
Lee.

lbp said:
cloud9 said:
Thanks for the info Lee. I'll probably stick with my starting cold pressures of 26/25 tomorrow morning tyring to hit 32-34 hot.

Gary,
I started out at 24/24 cold & ended up at 33 hot; then put 1 more pound in the rear & got 34 hot.
I was only able to get -2.20 camber, but will add offset camber blots this week & try for -2.75.
Lee.
Thanks Lee. I do have -3.1 degrees of camber so should help too. I'll take some temps but probably only paddock.....can't get into the hot pits tomorrow with this many cars. 38 in my run group ::)

cloud9 said:
lbp said:
cloud9 said:

Gary,
Lee.
Thanks Lee. I do have -3.1 degrees of camber so should help too. I'll take some temps but probably only paddock.....can't get into the hot pits tomorrow with this many cars. 38 in my run group ::)

Gary,
How has the -3.1 worked out? Did you try sub -3.0?
Also, is that Conti tire based in the R6? If so, it definitely need more camber & more heat than the R100.
I am very familiar with the R6 (& before that the A06) & ran those tires for years.
..Just curious & to be sure we are comparing apples to apples.
Thx.

gremlinsteve said:
that was some rather nice driving there in the video. nice and smooth if you ask me.

Compliment accepted ;D
Whenever I look at one of these, all I can see are all the mistakes I made! :D
Kinda boring without any other cars to chase around with, though.

lbp said:
cloud9 said:
lbp said:
cloud9 said:

Gary,
Lee.

Gary,
Also, is that Conti tire based in the R6? If so, it definitely need more camber & more heat than the R100.
I am very familiar with the R6 (& before that the A06) & ran those tires for years.
Thx.
It's much harder (and slower) than an R6 so not the same. You can tell the sidewall is firmer as well by how it sits on the rim. The R6 bulges past the edge of the rim like a DOT tire whereas the Conti slick is straight with the bead and inside the edge if the rim. I can't say for sure how it compares to the R100.

cloud9 said:
lbp said:
cloud9 said:
lbp said:
cloud9 said:

Gary,Z
Lee.

Gary,
Thx.
It's much harder (and slower) than an R6 so not the same. You can tell the sidewall is firmer as well by how it sits on the rim. The R6 bulges past the edge of the rim like a DOT tire whereas the Conti slick is straight with the bead and inside the edge if the rim. I can't say for sure how it compares to the R100.

Interesting..
I'm also wondering if a stiffer sidewalled tire than the r100 might be better for this car & have comtacted j speer about the bias side wall tire & report back to here

Ok according to Phil at phis tire (Hoosier dealer) the bias slick is a total nonstarter (my bad)

TMO Supporting Vendors