The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hoosier R7 vs Michelin Pilot Cup 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I just wanted to confirm that these two great tires are about even in lap times using the same sizes, with a slight advantage to the R7's on lap times and the Cup 2's lasting longer... Is that about right??

I haven’t run R7’s but the SC2’s fall off pretty quickly. They are noticeably slower after the first day of use. When new they stick like glue.

+1

These tires are very close. The PSC2's are very quick when brand new, and also for the first 10-15 minutes of each session thereafter.

The R7's are more consistent and perform better over a 30 minute session and in my experience last a little longer before wearing or cycling out.

Fastest? -- depends on the track and surface, but I'd say 80:20 in favor of the R7's. That's a fantastic achievement for a street tire!!

I've not tried them, but if you want the best lap time A7 is probably quicker? @ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
A7 will be faster than the R7 by a second or more depending on track length and config, typically. However they will fall off towards the end of a full session and they wear twice as fast. They are great for TT or anything where you just need to punch off a couple fast laps with little/no warm up.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
thanks, I am making a list of my competitors for 2018, I will be wheel to wheel with two 15min sprints per race day. Cars divided into two categorie, but on the track at the same time. I have seen that the A7's tend to get too hot after about 10min. Quite a few of the faster cars are tweeked to the limit with Turbos or S/C, so they tend to overheat after 5 min flat out. Looks like the R7's would be the best bet to real them in in the final minutes. Most of them are on PC2 or R7 tires

This thread got my attention as I have strongly been considering the PSC2s as my rain tire. I was fortunate this last year to never have a race in the rain, although I did have had some TT sessions when the track was slightly damp. Foolishly I ran my slicks, once finding myself going backwards at 70+. Anybody had experience with the PSC2's on damp tracks or a tire you would suggest for that? I have looked at Hoosiers rain tire although it sounds like they are very soft and wear quickly if there is not enough moisture.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
PSCs are not rain tires. Zero ability to move water away from the contact patch and difficult to maintain within the temp window in the wet.

Shaved Pilot Super Sports (6/32) we’re decent in the wet for high hp applications when sized appropriately and treated nicely lol.

Try a shaved Hankook RS4 or a Toyo R888 if you are talking about very damp to small puddles. Go full depth for standing water or streaming.

PSCs are not rain tires. Zero ability to move water away from the contact patch and difficult to maintain within the temp window in the wet.

Shaved Pilot Super Sports (6/32) we’re decent in the wet for high hp applications when sized appropriately and treated nicely lol.

Try a shaved Hankook RS4 or a Toyo R888 if you are talking about very damp to small puddles. Go full depth for standing water or streaming.

+1
I use PSS as my street/wet tire. To be Race competitive in full wet conditions Hoosier H20 or Conti full wets are the way to go.

How many heat cycles do people usually get out of R7/SC2?

Typically I'm getting 16-18 cycles, on both, but with 30 minute sessions they tend to cord prior to cycling out. That's with L/R rotation. I've seen upto 22 cycles with shorter sessions on less abrasive tracks.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Typically I'm getting 16-18 cycles, on both, but with 30 minute sessions they tend to cord prior to cycling out. That's with L/R rotation. I've seen up to 22 cycles with shorter sessions on less abrasive tracks.
Data points appreciated. A bit rich for my blood right now, at least until the IRAs start having to pay out later this year. Maybe when I eventually cord or almost cord a tire in the MPSS track set, unless Michelin decides to offer a better PS4S size in 18".

Norm

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
+2 Must admit, the MPSS is my street and rain tire.... And it does very well in the wet. If I can get a set of Apex 18x11 wheels I will leave my SVE 18x10's with 295/35-18 MPSS or PS4S for rain and street.

Just saw that the PS4S don't have much in 18" yet.... hope they do later....

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
+1
Typically I'm getting 16-18 cycles, on both, but with 30 minute sessions they tend to cord prior to cycling out. That's with L/R rotation. I've seen upto 22 cycles with shorter sessions on less abrasive tracks.
I am experiencing similar life w/ R7s, 315/30/18.

Sorry to hijack this thread for the rain tire topic and likely on my last question.

I am going to be running these on an 11" square set-up so I have the ability to go fairly wide, say 315s. Does size matter or does wider mean more chance of hydroplaning??

Is it true that Toyo R888 and Nitto NT01 have the same compound? I think I've read somewhere that even though it has some differences in the price and the carcass used, both tires have the same compound.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I am going to be running these on an 11" square set-up so I have the ability to go fairly wide, say 315s. Does size matter or does wider mean more chance of hydroplaning??
Sounds like you're planning for fully wet with standing or streaming water, so you might want to pay attention to the tread width dimension as well as the nominal size here. In terms of nominal size, you could go as 'narrow' as 275/35 on 11" wide rims.

Norm

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel