The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hoosiers on GT350R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think I'd try to find some from one of the Pirelli SPEC series, like Ferrari or Lambo, those cars are lighter, and I don't think they run a full 50 minutes, but I'm not positive about the fitment

I want to thank everyone on this thread for their input. I have multiple track days on multiple sets of Sport Cup 2's and pretty much have reached their limit of adhesion and I don't want to mod the motor or add power, just looking for that next "advantage" and figured that tires are the logical answer. I'm just torn on whether to mount them on the original Carbon wheels or go to aftermarket (heavier). Not too fond of putting more rotational weight on the front end. Brakes are super heavy already.
Again, thanks for all the input.

I would not run the carbon wheels for any competition even autocross, IMO they are way too susceptible to surface damage that can then translate into bigger problems down the road. No one I know runs CF wheels in competition, I'm sure someone does in GTLM or whatever, but at the tire tech tent, I've never seen a set of CF wheels, not even on the prototypes

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Totally agree with Blacksheep, as road course rash is going to happen anyway , and somehow racing on the " Golden Rims " when the price to replace just one, from damage, could have bought you a set of Apex rims shod with Hoosiers!!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Yep. Using the stock R rims and tires can be expensive. Bill was there when I got a flat. Some bone head used sheet metal screws to piece together his "Racecar". One ended up in the right front of my 350R. Personally, I blame this on Bill....after all, he was there. LOL
Tire went down destroying the sidewall. The good news was the wheel as fine. Its still fine and should last many many years.....sitting in the loft of my shop tucked away in padded tire bags. The cost of the Cup 2 was enough to open my eyes to the possibility of trashing the original CF wheels. The replacement cost of one wheel is more than I spend upgrading to coil overs on the Boss.
The CF 350 wheels are gorgeous, the 500 CF wheels even more so. Its a shame one costs more than a set of Apex wheels shod in Cup 2's with sensors.

And I agree that it would be a shame to have to replace a Carbon Wheel.
However.............I purchase track insurance every outing, so somewhat covered and as well, I putchased a full set of Carbon Take Offs .... all 4 for about the same price as one, so I do have spares.
It looks like the Apex wheels mark out at about 6-7 lbs heavier at each corner than the Factory carbon versions. I suppose one could go crazy and put on carbon ceramic rotors and reduce the weight there.

TMO Supporting Vendors