The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hoosiers/slicks/etc. + rear camber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey all - I poked around using the search but didn't come across anything directly on point (something tells me it's out there though...sorry if it is!).

This weekend is a track weekend (woo hoo!) and I have the opportunity to run some Hoosier R6's. Up until now (over a year) I've been running various types of street tires and the wear has been pretty decent despite running on my factory alignment (and ride height). Note this is a GT, not a BOSS.

To run these Hoosiers I realize I will likely destroy them quickly due to the current camber settings on my car. With time running out til the weekend, I immediately ordered a couple sets of camber bolts (Eibach and then realize BMR might be beefier) to try to patch the camber problem for this weekend only before I get actual c/c plates. I know these bolts may not be the best idea for tracking, so the race shop on-site told me they'll examine them before considering putting them on my car.

So, all that is to say that the camber issue may be resolved for the FRONT of the car. But what about the rear!? We have solid rears...outside of taking drastic measures (heating/shocking axle tubes, say) we are stuck with the camber we already have, no?

So what does that mean for us? Do Mustangs quickly destroy slicks? Is that something we have to accept? What do the race teams do? How about the BOSS-R and S?

Thanks for your time in reading all this, I really appreciate it!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yeah, we're stuck with what we have on the rear.

To get the best life out of slicks you'll want to rotate them between each session on-track, and flip them inside-out between events.

Keavdog said:
3 track days and I've corded my left front. Stock camber setting.
Is this normal wear?
Not normal, most only get two days out of them. ;)

I ran the R6's last weekend. Amazing tire. No uneven wear on mine. I have no extra negative camber. Its more a function of how you drive than the camber. If you're club racing you will get 8-10 'competitive' sessions. If you're just a track day dude then 16 sessions. They will wear faster on the whole than you need to worry about your camber.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
DGRacing said:
I ran the R6's last weekend. Amazing tire. No uneven wear on mine. I have no extra negative camber. Its more a function of how you drive than the camber. If you're club racing you will get 8-10 'competitive' sessions. If you're just a track day dude then 16 sessions. They will wear faster on the whole than you need to worry about your camber.

I do not agree. If you drive on a road course you need negative camber, no question. Yiur contact patch us niot flat on turns without negative camber.

TMO Supporting Vendors