The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hope I remember

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ordered my CO BOSS 4/06/11 with an ETA of "Late Summer". I haven't drove a manual shift car since the 70's when I was driving a 1968 Olds 442 4 spd. My buddy just recently bought a 2011 ss camaro 6 spd & took me for a ride. That's what got my "juices" flowing & I started doing some homework on the web. I originally was looking at the new GT with the new 5.0 412 HP engine, which was making the camaro & challenger look slow (on videos). Somehow I stumbled on info about the new Boss 302 & that changed everything! I realized very quickly this was a special car & felt the need to get one. The dealer closest to me had only one allocation for one reg (street) BOSS for 2012. The dealer commanded a 5k markup which I agreed to because this is my last HURRAH, if you know what I mean. I'm 55 yrs old...kids are grown...don't need any more 4 dr sedans! (last car 2001 Crown Vic With Superchip) If this is middle age crisis, then sign me in!I believe once I hear that 444 horse engine calling, shifting those gears will not be a problem. The only thing I'm worried about is this new thing called "Skip Shift". I understand it is needed to be added to save us from the "Guzzler Tax", but to block me from shifting the way I want (need) to is VERY ANNOYING. Anyways, back to the subject, I hope shifting gears is like riding a bike.....you never forget.

GA
302BOB said:
Ordered my CO BOSS 4/06/11 with an ETA of "Late Summer". I haven't drove a manual shift car since the 70's when I was driving a 1968 Olds 442 4 spd. My buddy just recently bought a 2011 ss camaro 6 spd & took me for a ride. That's what got my "juices" flowing & I started doing some homework on the web. I originally was looking at the new GT with the new 5.0 412 HP engine, which was making the camaro & challenger look slow (on videos). Somehow I stumbled on info about the new Boss 302 & that changed everything! I realized very quickly this was a special car & felt the need to get one. The dealer closest to me had only one allocation for one reg (street) BOSS for 2012. The dealer commanded a 5k markup which I agreed to because this is my last HURRAH, if you know what I mean. I'm 55 yrs old...kids are grown...don't need any more 4 dr sedans! (last car 2001 Crown Vic With Superchip) If this is middle age crisis, then sign me in!I believe once I hear that 444 horse engine calling, shifting those gears will not be a problem. The only thing I'm worried about is this new thing called "Skip Shift". I understand it is needed to be added to save us from the "Guzzler Tax", but to block me from shifting the way I want (need) to is VERY ANNOYING. Anyways, back to the subject, I hope shifting gears is like riding a bike.....you never forget.

Red Key disables Skip Shift, but from what I read just let the car wind out to at least 4 or 5K RPM the first few times you shift and it will disable the feature until the next time you restart the car.

BossMan

Well all I can tell you is that I have not really had an issue with skip shift because I shift somewhere above 2k RPM. I did notice that the skip shift comes in below that but not sure where. Also, there is a mod to eliminate skip shift. It may be as simple as disconnecting the solenoid from the skip shift. Maybe someone will chime in to give you more details.

I understand when you're "singin" thru the gears normally you won't see the skip shift, but it shows up when you least expect it, for some reason especially during turns, which can make it very un-nerving when you're driving. Even my Camaro Friend has had it happen to him. At least they have an eliminator option they can order to not worry about it. I understand using TRACKEY will disable skip shift, but that is not an option at this time.

BossMan said:
It may be as simple as disconnecting the solenoid from the skip shift.
This. It's there to help Ford improve their fleet gas mileage. Disconnect it while you're under your Boss modifying your side exhaust discs on the first day you own it. ;D

Figured out a way to be ready for my 6 spd BOSS when I get it sometime LATER ,as in LATER, this year. Going to check out a 05 GT 5spd which is going for a good price. My 18 yr old son is getting jealous. He insisted on a Scion TC for his 18th birthday in Feb, which he got, but now is eyeballing the GT & the BOSS. The GT will be traded in for the BOSS, when it gets here, so I'm fraid He's outa luck. brings to mind the old saying....careful for what you wish for...you might be stuck with it.

BossMan said:
Also, there is a mod to eliminate skip shift. It may be as simple as disconnecting the solenoid from the skip shift. Maybe someone will chime in to give you more details.

Yep, that is what I did. It's kind of hard to get to since it's at the top of the tranny but it's not too bad. I tried to tape up everthing to keep moisture out of the connection.

Works like a champ!

atrain1975

Two (rookie mechanic) questions regarding the solenoid disconnection: can somebody point me to a step-by-step diagram or set of instructions on how to do this and does disconnecting the solenoid also disable the annoying skip shift pop up message that appears on the info readout? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am strictly an oil and tire changer and don't have much experience beyond that.
Thanks!

Does disconnecting the solenoid result in an error code popping up on the dash? I know GM car owners can buy an skip shift eliminator online for about $25.00 that bypasses the skip shift, although the skip shift message will appear on the dash when it would usually come on. I don't see anything available for Fords yet online.

302BOB said:
Does disconnecting the solenoid result in an error code popping up on the dash? I know GM car owners can buy an skip shift eliminator online for about $25.00 that bypasses the skip shift, although the skip shift message will appear on the dash when it would usually come on. I don't see anything available for Fords yet online.

I haven't driven a lot of miles since disconnecting it, but so far no error message has come up.

No fuss, no muss, no errors or lights have at it. Should have done it the day I pulled the discs, lol.

I would protect the connectors since I am not sure if water and dirt could somehow effect it, I taped the plug as shown in the picture and added some tape to the connector on the trans. It would have been better to fill that in with something like the plastic fix-it stuff that hardens after you mix it but if I ever need service I want to able to reconnect the plug.

Problem solved! Traded in my Caddy & got a 2004 Mustang Gt 5 spd to get me ready for my Boss's fall ETA. Test drive was a little shaky ( as in clutch leg) but since I bought it last thursday I put over 400 miles on it & can't get enough of it. This car is such a blast to drive & I also realize this car is no comparison to what the Boss is going to be like!, which is mind boggling. The good thing is I have the Gt to play with for the summer while waiting for the Boss..this difinitely helps the wait for the Boss go by easier. Hard to believe I had'nt
drove a stick since 1978, but it all came back to me VERY quickly. I don't want to go crazy with mods for the GT, but it has a stock exhaust...Would flowmasters make it sound better, but not too loud?

302BOB said:
Problem solved! Traded in my Caddy & got a 2004 Mustang Gt 5 spd to get me ready for my Boss's fall ETA. Test drive was a little shaky ( as in clutch leg) but since I bought it last thursday I put over 400 miles on it & can't get enough of it. This car is such a blast to drive & I also realize this car is no comparison to what the Boss is going to be like!, which is mind boggling. The good thing is I have the Gt to play with for the summer while waiting for the Boss..this difinitely helps the wait for the Boss go by easier. Hard to believe I had'nt
drove a stick since 1978, but it all came back to me VERY quickly. I don't want to go crazy with mods for the GT, but it has a stock exhaust...Would flowmasters make it sound better, but not too loud?
If you haven't done so already go to a dealer and drive a 2011/2012 GT 5 DOT 0, preferably with the Brembo Brake Package, or a Roush Stage 2 and you will get a much better idea of what's in store when your Boss arrives.

2012YellowBoss said:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=941&viewfile=Skip%20Shift%20Solenoid.pdf

skipShift2.png
SkipShift.jpg

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/271290-how-disable-skip-shift.html

sorry to DIG UP an old thread, but I am a novice:
Scott do I DISCONNECT BOTH the cable connector AND the solenoid connector ,
or just the solenoid connector?

and is it doable without ramps or lift?

thanks in advance and sorry again for digging that up and showing off my novice-ity !

rom said:
2012YellowBoss said:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=941&viewfile=Skip%20Shift%20Solenoid.pdf

skipShift2.png
SkipShift.jpg

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/271290-how-disable-skip-shift.html

thanks in advance and sorry again for digging that up and showing off my novice-ity !

Just remove the cable connector from the solenoid connector. I put mine on jackstands since it is at the top of the tranny.

rom said:

Thanks Dean, I too always lift the car to have better access for what I am doing.

Just to clarify the cable connector and the solenoid connector are the same piece put together. In other words you pull just one connector out, the "cable connector" from the "solenoid connector" that pic could be labeled better.

Don't sweat it, very easy to do. Take a look up there and if it is not clear ask away here again.

GA
If I drive it gently, I see the skip shift message but it never forces me into 4th. I think Ford might have changed it from 2011 due to complaints. When I get my FRPP power pack installed it will be disabled through the firmware (like the way Track Key does it).

TMO Supporting Vendors