The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Horrible Crash at The Ring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks like a 8 year old kid got killed in the accident. How fast was he going to get airborne like that?

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1097504_spectator-dies-when-nissan-gt-academy-drivers-gt-r-goes-airborne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GXHUxCmdkYY

My god he was moving fast. It's amazing how much ground he covered while airborne.
My heart goes out to the boy and his family. A fun day turned into a day they will never forget.

That was pretty ridiculous. It sucks more the fact that someone died. I guess you wouldn't think anything like that would happen but it seems like people are pretty close to the track.

Redline Magazine on Facebook has an alternate video that is much more brutal. Those fences aren't stopping anything.

https://www.facebook.com/RedlineMagazine

Hindsight is 20-20.............need to make the wall and catch fence twice as high and sturdy to avoid future accidents like this. I know people enjoy watching a race but there is a price to pay for watching it this close. R.I.P.

I think the only thing the fences were designed to do was stop debris and people. Everyone has to realize that there are risks standing next to a track as well as being in the vehicle and make that decision for themselves.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Call me nuts but how about fixing the issue with the car itself and/or the track that caused the car to get airborne to begin with? I mean the fence wasn't put there to protect folks from a flying projectile. It's always a sad day when anyone perishes at the track, no matter what side of the fence you sit on.

Added: Of course driver error may have it's part as well...

RIP to the child put in harms way.

Choose your spot carefully at the track. Accidents like this have happened hundreds of times. People feel invincible at events, but the laws of physics rule.

The worst incident, of course, was this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955_Le_Mans_disaster

TymeSlayer said:
Call me nuts but how about fixing the issue with the car itself and/or the track that caused the car to get airborne to begin with? I mean the fence wasn't put there to protect folks from a flying projectile. It's always a sad day when anyone perishes at the track, no matter what side of the fence you sit on.

Added: Of course driver error may have it's part as well...

To get lift like that I feel like the car wasn't set up properly. It had a huge wing but didn't look like there was any front down force done on the car.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Brandon302 said:
To get lift like that I feel like the car wasn't set up properly. It had a huge wing but didn't look like there was any front down force done on the car.

Maybe too much wing in back and not enough up front. If you look closely he was already going airborne coming over the top of that rise. With the solid panel underneath, once air got under there it became the high pressure zone. I don't know the track or the car very well, but it almost looks like if he wasn't airborne he still would have had issues with that turn going at that speed.

I feel so sorry for the youngster who was killed - that's not supposed to happen. The only thing I can say is that you need to think of the possibilities of where you are and what's around you (driving or spectating). I'm no genius, but I don't think I would have positioned myself on the entry side of a turn like that. Most non-driver spectators would probably not even think of that, so it should be the tracks responsibility to either not allow spectators there or at least post the dangers of doing so.

Think safe....

-Pete

PeteInCT said:
Maybe too much wing in back and not enough up front. If you look closely he was already going airborne coming over the top of that rise. With the solid panel underneath, once air got under there it became the high pressure zone. I don't know the track or the car very well, but it almost looks like if he wasn't airborne he still would have had issues with that turn going at that speed.

I feel so sorry for the youngster who was killed - that's not supposed to happen. The only thing I can say is that you need to think of the possibilities of where you are and what's around you (driving or spectating). I'm no genius, but I don't think I would have positioned myself on the entry side of a turn like that. Most non-driver spectators would probably not even think of that, so it should be the tracks responsibility to either not allow spectators there or at least post the dangers of doing so.

Think safe....

-Pete

That is very true, though Europeans seem to love not thinking when it comes to where they stand, Rally is a good example with people standing on the edge of the roads to watch cars, which maybe has stopped due to safety concerns. By no means am I pointing the finger though, like others have said you don't expect that to happen. I think you are right though, I would probably set up camp before the apex of that corner and not in the middle or after.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel