The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How are the trannys holding up???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Let me fix something here Ford does not care and all of these trans are haveing problems just some people drive it to a point where it really shows I have not seen one good one yet that is perfect, myself I have done a few fixes and still feel if I were to dissasemble the trans maybe build some good shift forks and check the gears to see if recutting them may help, but to go through all that you may as well replace the entire thing, I plan to do a swap for something that works with no doubts. I feel as I have been very lucky with the results to my car but also deep down inside feel if I were to track it Id have the same problems as everyone else. I plan to explode my trans with a supercharger ;D If it holds up I will be amazed.

Oh and to anyone whom wants to argue the ford not caring part, ask them what they are doing about it.

Outside of the two that T. Roy had grenade on the track, how many actual transmissions do we know have failed? I have had two separate clutch part failures (anti-rattle spring & slave cylinder ) but other than that the clutch was fine. I am just curious. NHTSA opened an investigation and closed it after failing to find enough evidence for a recall.

cloud9 said:
Outside of the two that T. Roy had grenade on the track, how many actual transmissions do we know have failed? I have had two separate clutch part failures (anti-rattle spring &13 slave cylinder ) but other than that the clutch was fine. I am just curious. NHTSA opened an investigation and closed it after failing to find enough evidence for a recall.

I think they investigated it too soon to find what we read on here. Good idea a poll ;DI will post one

cloud9 said:
Outside of the two that T. Roy had grenade on the track, how many actual transmissions do we know have failed? I have had two separate clutch part failures (anti-rattle spring & slave cylinder ) but other than that the clutch was fine. I am just curious. NHTSA opened an investigation and closed it after failing to find enough evidence for a recall.
I still think most of the shifting problems reported are clutch related and not the tranny. There have been a few other trannies repaired or replaced but not many.

jeepinocala said:
cloud9 said:

I think they investigated it too soon to find what we read on here. Good idea a poll ;DI will post one
My point is conjecture doesn't add any value in determining if there is a systemic problem. Saying I think mine would fail IF I tracked it is purely conjecture and saying you think they investigated too early is just opinion. The fact is there were tens of thousands of GTs on the road in addition to a couple thousand Bosses when they did the transmission investigation.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
My point is conjecture doesn't add any value in determining if there is a systemic problem. Saying I think mine would fail IF I tracked it is purely conjecture and saying you think they investigated too early is just opinion. The fact is there were tens of thousands of GTs on the road in addition to a couple thousand Bosses when they did the transmission investigation.

+1. Some people could blow up a Porshe tranny the way they drive. Others (like Roketman) drive the hell out of their Bosses, blowing away damn Porshe Turbo's no less (I'll never hear the end of that one...) with a stock clutch/clutch line/shifter and have no issues at all.

Dear Moderators: You need to add a "THE SKY IS FALLING" sub-topic.....

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
PeteInCT said:
cloud9 said:

+1. Some people could blow up a Porshe tranny the way they drive. Others (like Roketman) drive the hell out of their Bosses, blowing away damn Porshe Turbo's no less (I'll never hear the end of that one...) with a stock clutch/clutch line/shifter and have no issues at all.

Dear Moderators: You need to add a "THE SKY IS FALLING" sub-topic.....

Pete, I like it! Maybe we could get Ford to add a little a section entitled "THE SKY IS FALLING" to the Boss DVD.

Look, I think you are correct some people could blow up any tranny, regardless of who made it. However, I do think this is a serious issue for people like me that could have easily done major damage to their car and cars following. Don't know about you, but I've seen what happens to drivers/cars that "missed shifts", NOT PRETTY. These were "drivers errors" not mechanical failures or lock outs.

With my car, I thought I was just unlucky, got a bad clutch, tranny, whatever. But if this is something that "IS" affecting the performance of this performance car on a more widespread basis, then it needs to be addressed with Ford. Period. My experience is they are listening and concerned. I can only comment on my experience. Having addtional credible data gathered for Ford can only help everyone.

Just my .02!!!!

Cheers!

Boomerstoys

One other thing that made me think I was just unlucky. After my first experience with "lock out" I went to Boss Track Attack. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE TWO CARS I DROVE OVER TWO DAYS. Shifts were like BUTTER!!!

I'm not an engineer and I can't explain what's happening or why it's only happening to "some" cars. If I wasn't a track rat, I never would have discovered this issue. How widespread it is----------------that's why I asked that a sticky be done! Let's get some credible data collected and get it to Ford at some level, any level. Hopefully, this new tranny and new shift kit solves my problem but I would still like to know if it's widespread or not.

I've asked the service manager at my dealership if he'd let me know what they find out about my old tranny. He said he doubts he'll ever be told. This is a serious issue for anyone that experienced the problem on track and honestly I'm glad others have not since it gives me hope that my problem is solved.

Cheers!

I was not trying to start an "issue" here. Just inquiring what the consensus was at this point. I think the Boss is an Incredible car and value. I think ford blew it on the tranny/clutch issue. It would be great to see then fix or offer a fix for the track oriented individuals but the numbers are just way too low. The 302 S does not run the same transmission for this reason. I dont think it would have cost too much at the production stage to do the upgrade in all our cars. I, for one would have gladly paid the upcharge.

Right now I am running a track only car and thats fine but the boss was the best dual purpose car Ive had less the tranny issues.

Sesshomurai

Boomerstoys said:
But if this is something that "IS" affecting the performance of this performance car on a more widespread basis, then it needs to be addressed with Ford. Period.

I'm pretty sure it's not.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
jeepinocala said:
And the gt's rpm is what? I dont think it is 7500 ;D
I spin and shift my GT MT-82 at 7400 rpm on track all the time, havent been locked out or missed a shift yet. Doesn't mean the trans is perfect in all cars, does mean its not sh-t in all cars either. I am disappointed that Ford isn't helping you resolve your issues but they will resist a general recall and redesign on this drivetrain as long as the problems are confined to our high performance HPDE minority. Whether we like it or not, what we do with these cars is a small percentage of total Mustang use. Ford also can fall back on the "off road", "operator abuse" defense when warranty claims are presented. They know exactly how we use these cars and the race car with a license plate is just marketing kool aid that they use to generate buzz. If the cost/benefit ratio tilts out of their because of bad publicity over the trans/clutch then they might take some action. Until then no free replacement or upgrades unless it's an obvious defect in materials or workmanship. Sorry for the rant but that's just the way car business works.
Steve

Boomerstoys

Thanks Steve. I'm hoping between my new clutch, new tranny and new shift kit my issue is gone.

For me, Ford has been exceptional. My first meeting with the field engineer was an in-car ride along with his computer connected to my OBD II port. This resulted in him replacing the entire clutch assembly, due to what he saw as not adequate free play and something with the pressure plate. When they pulled the pressure plate, they showed me the "finger" that was out of spec. Too far out compared to the rest of the fingers.

When I finally got back to the track, I still had the issue. Ford again stepped up after I sent them a description of what took place and a video that you could hear me curse & hear the motor revving as I tried to get 5th or tried to get back to 4th from 5th.

I know it must be somewhat isolated, but I was honestly surprised to see others having the same or similar issues. For me, Ford seems to honestly WANT to correct this issue. I'm truely hoping it has been resolved by what they have done already.

However, having said that, this needs to be further investigated so that other don't suffer a worse fate than just not being able to get a gear. It truely present a very dangerous sitution on track.

One thing that sticks in my mind is a e 46 M3. There is a section coming out of 8 @ Pacific where you need to short shift to 4th before the entrance to 9. A short shift is recommended due to the left lateral load placed on the car.

Long story short, he got 2nd going for 4th. I know the instructor that was in the car. It rammed into the barriers at 9, off those across the track and into infield barriers protecting the drag strip. Good new, no one was hurt seriously, but the car was a total loss. Now that was "driver error" but what if the same thing occurred due to faulty design or product?

That's the only reason I'd like to see more information gathered. Personally, hoping my replacement parts do the trick!

Cheers!

Mine seems alot better with the new clutch line, bleeding the resvior, removal of the assist spring, and mgw shifter so far. I really believe the clutch is just not good enough or borderline good enough but I dont track my car if I do I would say you would read of me changing the transmission first simply cause I dont go on any track with something that borderline capable. Someone posted a transmission breakdown photo anyone know where one is? It needs to be able to be zoomed in on each part?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
steveespo said:
jeepinocala said:
And the gt's rpm is what? I dont think it is 7500 ;D
I spin and shift my GT MT-82 at 7400 rpm on track all the time, havent been locked out or missed a shift yet.(snip)

The GTs come with a different clutch anyway. While I haven't raised my rev limiter on it, I drive it just as hard (up shift wise) as I drive the Boss.

I do think there are slop issues with the bushings, and coupled with manufacturing tolerances in the solid parts, it's no wonder that some people end up with real issues.

Seems like Ford made the mistake of changing too many things at one time with the clutch/brake hydraulics, helper spring, new tranny, and new high revving platform.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel