The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How are the trannys holding up???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey Guys, its been awhile since I sold my boss.... I still miss the car. Basically I got rid of my 2012 because it went through 2 trannys in a month an never shifted right under high revs. How are the rest of the cars holding up? Any problems with the shifting/transmissions on the track? I realize that the street boss is a double duty car for most of us but still feel it should be able to be driven hard at the track and hold up. Shifting above 7000 seemed to be the weak link.

Also, any feedback on the 13s vrs the 12s would be helpful also.

Thanks! T.Roy

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
WOW!!! Two transmissions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have/had a lock out on track above 7,000 RPM. Mine was 4th to 5th and 5th to 4th. 3rd to 4th seemed to work "most of the time" but occasionally I'd get a sticky shift. It would go, but very tough to get it.

Ford first replaced the entire clutch assembly including the slave. Seems the free play was out of spec and one of the fingers on the pressure plate was out of spec. This was replaced back in April or May but I didn't have a chance to get back to the track until earlier this month.

Same problem. Sent track video to the Service Manager and Field Engineer. Tranny was order and replaced earlier this week. Haven't been on track with it since being replaced. Had them install the MGW shift kit at the same time. I'm heading to Laguna next month and I'm SURE HOPING THIS IS THE FIX.

Did you have problems in all gears? I can bounce off the rev limiter in 2nd to 3rd and most of the time 3rd to 4th. Also, matching rev downshifts to 3rd from 4th and 2nd from 3rd have never been a problem, like butter. It was just 4th & 5th. The only other issue was when cold, the shifts felt VERY NOTCHY from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd. But this seem to subside as the engine/trans temp increased.

I really thought at first it was me. I had the chief driving instructor drive my car the first time I experienced it. He has a Ford FR 500S so he knows Mustangs. Sure enough, he could NOT get it in 5th without a struggle & double clutching. Same problem going into 4th at turn 2 on Pacific. Not a comfortable feeling.

The notchiness in first to second is still there, but greatly reduced. Not sure if I should attribute the reduction in notchiness to the shift kit or the new tranny. Any other insights you can share would be appreciated. I've kept the OEM fluid but now may change that to Redline. Thought I was the only one with this lock out and chalked it up to "bad luck".

Cheers!

I'm having lock out issues from 2-3 and 3-4 and suspect 4-5 but I don't use 5th at Sonoma, Laguna Seca or Thunderhill. I suspect I'll be using 5th at TH on my next visit.

Boomer wait until you shift into third coming out of 11 at LS. When I was there two of us had lock out every lap after the cars were hot and the other Boss owner never missed a shift. I think the pressure plate fingers are weak and are not fully releasing the clutch so replacing a stock clutch with another one won't help.

Boomerstoys

Jeez!!! 5 DOT 0 very surprised to hear of this. Your problem arose in 2nd to 3rd & 3rd to 4th upshifts. What about downshifts?

Hope this won't be the case for me especially with the clutch & tranny being replaced. I've driven Laguna once before with a 07 MCS and took 11 in 2nd. I never hit 5th in the Mini just didn't have the power to really accelerate down the front straight. Here's a video of Laguna & the Mini:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIw6Yu7XtFg

I was thinking with the power of the Boss that I'd hit 5th just as you crest the hill at turn 1 with a return to 3 for Andretti turn 2. I was using a single (classic line) apex at T2 but thought the Boss might be better suited to a double apex at 2.

Do you have any video from Laguna with your Boss. Was also thinking of trying 11 in 3rd, due to the torque of the Boss and possible wheel spin on exit of 11 if in 2nd.

Now I worried!!!

Cheers!

PS: Post up some video if you have it, PLEASE!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Boomer-

5 DOT 0 is using 2nd through turn 11. He's referring to the upshift to 3rd coming out...if I'm reading his post correctly!

There's also a thread about the Boss shifting issues on SVTP.
here:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2012-boss-302-mustang-373/872074-have-you-had-transmission-issues.html

I had some grinding issues when cold with my 2011 GT in its first winter, but no issues with the Boss so far.

On track I sometimes have problems downshifting to 3rd and sometimes upshifting to 4th. No grinding...just need to "muscle" the shift. I use 5th on all tracks I run and typically do a 5 to 3 H/T downshift for turn 1 at Summit Point. No problems ever on 4 - 5 upshift. My plans to attack these problems:

1. JHR high volume clutch line...just installed and will be track tested Labor Day weekend at VIR. I'm thinking if clutch is not fully disengaging that could cause shifting issues.

2. MGW shifter...on order, hope it arrives soon. Many have said this item does wonders to improve shifting.

In any case I'm not sure the tranny itself is at fault...I'm hoping the upgrades above will improve the situation. I've also heard switching the fluid in the tranny to Red Line helps. I may also try that.

I have 7700 miles and 12 track days on my 14 month old Boss.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
the actual transmission is working fine in my car....when the clutch works right. I think the hydraulic system pedal assembly and the pressure plate in the car is a major cause for all the problems the transmission has. the JHR line has helped a little but at high rpms it doesnt seem to release fully and makes it harder to shift than at lower rpms probably causing lots of wear on the internals.

I know in time I am going to ditch the MT82 and go with a the T-56 XL

Sesshomurai

ChuckP said:
On track I sometimes have problems downshifting to 3rd and sometimes upshifting to 4th. No grinding...just need to "muscle" the shift. I use 5th on all tracks I run and typically do a 5 to 3 H/T downshift for turn 1 at Summit Point. No problems ever on 4 - 5 upshift. My plans to attack these problems:

1. JHR high volume clutch line...just installed and will be track tested Labor Day weekend at VIR. I'm thinking if clutch is not fully disengaging that could cause shifting issues.

2. MGW shifter...on order, hope it arrives soon. Many have said this item does wonders to improve shifting.

In any case I'm not sure the tranny itself is at fault...I'm hoping the upgrades above will improve the situation. I've also heard switching the fluid in the tranny to Red Line helps. I may also try that.

I have 7700 miles and 12 track days on my 14 month old Boss.

I also do a 5/3 downshift on turn 1 at summit. Had 1 case off lockout after 20 laps.

Boomerstoys

Has Redline tranny fluid eliminated "lock out" for anyone that experienced the problem with the stock fluid?

Think I will do this before heading to Laguna.

5 DOT 0, realize that you take Turn 11 in 2nd gear and upshifted to third on exit but have you tried taking Turn 11 in 3rd. The Boss has tons of torque and may be able to handle Turn 2 in 3rd gear. When I was there last year, many drivers/cars would spin on exit of turn 11 due to early application of throttle and/or too low a gear. Personally, one of my tendencies is to go to throttle too soon, need more patience!

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I've only been there once, 2nd in turn 11 at LS seems like the right gear. I think I could drive the turn 2 better in 3rd and just focus on the line, but would probably lug it around and waste time on the straight.

Heck, I think I took turn 2 slow enough that I could have gone down to 2nd there also. And I think I was faster there with the single apex in my first 2 sessions. Tried to double apex later in the day and I'm pretty sure I was slower. Maybe the double apex would exit quicker in 2nd?

Dang, I want to go back!

Well here is something interesting I drive my car pretty easy most of the time and it has been a long while since ive run her hard or have used the track key. The other day after putting the one piece driveshaft in I also left the dealership with the track key in to see if there were any problems at all so I hit a back country road layed on it wide open no problems at all but could definatly tell the clutch was working as I could feel it in the pedal with the assist spring gone you can feel the clutch like it should be so my thought is this clutch really is borderline good enough for this car BUT if it goes they replace it so until my supercharger gets done the stock clutch stays.

I've had about 20 track days this summer and for the most part issue free, but not totally. I had a slave cylinder fail back in May at MPH. I had slow pedal return on a 4-5 shift at Road America my second event there this summer. Occasionally I'll get a tough 4-5 shift but it goes although I did get locked out of it once at BIR a month ago. Just got back from a long day at MPH yesterday and was completely issue free.

Second gear is the right one for turn 11 at LS. I did run use third in 11 after the lock out persisted but it's faster running down the longest straight on the track starting in second.

The JHR clutch line didn't help me and I also have Redline MTL but that doesn't help with lock out either. The MTL helps with nibbling when cold and makes the tranny shift smoother overall not with lock out.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
No issues since MGW was installed, but those lockouts were shifter related and nothing to do with the MT-82. Mods completed are the MGW shifter, JDM clutch line and Redline MTL fluid.

Boomerstoys

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback both on the tranny and Laguna.

Wonder if this "Tranny Issue" can become a sticky. Lock out in any gear is really unnerving. I almost went into 2nd when trying for 4th from 5th! Could have been a disaster for me & my car and the cars following!!!!

I haven't tried to search this issue on other forums but it's a large enough concern, in my opinion, to try to gather as much information as possible. It also needs to be passed on to the appropriate people within Ford.

Ford has stood behind their product for me. They have been really exceptional when trying to "cure" the problem with a clutch replacement and now a new tranny. Hope I'm past this since I have the clutch, tranny and MGW shifter. The only thing I haven't done is the Redline fluid but I'm not sure this will help. My notchy 1 to 2, 2 to 3 shifts have diminished and I'm not sure what to attribute this to, shifter or tranny.

My next track day will be Laguna, so I won't be able to tell if the issue has been resolved until I'm on track. Can't very well do + 7000 RPM shift to 5th on the street! (at least I won't)

Please consider if this is a topic: Tranny/Clutch Issues, that could be made a sticky to try to gather as much info on as possible.

Cheers!

Boomerstoys

Thanks 5 DOT 0. I just re-read the SVT threads. Man, this is a serious issue, especially for "Track Rats".

After reading all this, I've sent an email with a link to this forum to my dealer service manager and the Ford Field Engineer. Unlike other peoples experiences, these guys are car guys and have really helped me with my situation.

With something like this, given it affects a small group and limited market (Boss owners) and within this small group, an even smaller population that drive the cars on track, it's important to get this information to the right people within the Ford organization.

Cheers!

TMO Supporting Vendors