The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How are you going to break in your Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I used this method to break in my GT500 and the dyno numbers for my mod list are on the high side ;) I have a friend with an M3 that used this same method. It's controversial, but I am curious as to how others will break in theirs. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Here's some interesting results on the power differences after break-in on the 5.0 motors:

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f800/2011-5-0-dynos-discussion-490644/

You gotta love getting more power the more you use it ;)

I like what the article states and have never babied my cars when new. I'll be challenged to do that type of break-in though as I may drive 420 fwy miles on mine the day I buy it in order to get it home. But that will be on I-5 heading North from L.A. so there will be plenty of room for redline runs in second and third.

I’ve been breaking my race motors (at least 50 of them) and my “high performance” street motors almost exactly the way the link suggests with great success.

I start with good ol’ cheap non synthetic oil. The cheaper the better.

Step 1: 10 heat cycles. Stone cold to 220deg and let it cool down to stone cold again. I do it 10 times and just let it idle.

Step 2: Take it out and do some roll ons through the midrange getting to WOT but without spinning the motor above 66% or below 33% of it’s operating range. I’ll do this 10 times. Then I let it cool completely (and I mean completely) and repeat. Let it cool again. I do this step on the roads by my house even if its in/on a full blown race car/bike and have never been pulled over (fingers crossed).

Step 3: Go for a “spirited” drive or do some “spirited” laps but keep the RPM’s down to about 80-85% of max. I’m usually doing this on the track so I’ll get a 20-25min session out of it.

Step 4: Drop the oil and replace with synthetic then drive it like it owes you money!

I’ve been doing the above for 15+ years now and have never had a oil related failure or any oil related premature wear. And a lot of the time the motor makes more power than the norm.

cloud9 said:
I used this method to break in my GT500 and the dyno numbers for my mod list are on the high side ;) I have a friend with an M3 that used this same method. It's controversial, but I am curious as to how others will break in theirs. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Interesting read. Are you planning on breaking in with the factory synthetic oil or draining that out as soon as possible and replacing it with organic oil? If so what weight oil will you use, 10W-40 or 15W-50?

BossJockey said:
cloud9 said:

Interesting read. Are you planning on breaking in with the factory synthetic oil or draining that out as soon as possible and replacing it with organic oil? If so what weight oil will you use, 10W-40 or 15W-50?
I'll use the factory oil and only what Ford recommends 5W-50 full synthetic.

How many miles are you guys putting on your cars before you consider them broke in. I may try to follow this breakin method myself. If I understand this method correctly, you take off normal in first then accelerate up to .....??? in the rpms thru second, third, fourth....them back off letting the engine slow itself down. Then do this serveral more times. Is it broke in after that? Or how many miles do you need to do this. The owners manual is very vague, just says vary speed first 100 miles.

1BadBoss said:
How many miles are you guys putting on your cars before you consider them broke in. I may try to follow this breakin method myself. If I understand this method correctly, you take off normal in first then accelerate up to .....??? in the rpms thru second, third, fourth....them back off letting the engine slow itself down. Then do this serveral more times. Is it broke in after that? Or how many miles do you need to do this. The owners manual is very vague, just says vary speed first 100 miles.
Here's the actual excerpt:
BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
Your vehicle requires a break-in period. Drive your new vehicle at least
100 miles (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle maneuvers and at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before performance/competition conditions. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

I broke mine in according to the mototuneusa.com method. I ran up the RPMs hard and then shifted or let the motor decel on its own never maintaining extended WOT runs. I mixed this with "normal" driving but made sure I got some good aggressive accelerations and decelerations during the first 200 miles. Ford's saying don't run WOT and hold it there for any legth of time during the first 100 miles. I also avoided maintaining constant speeds for extended miles until I got to 1000. (e.g. cruise control on the interstate) Now mine's broke in and ready for performance/competition conditions ;D

Wow. I'm looking at a 1600 mile trip back from the dealer... "On the way home" I'll break it in, do my 500 mile oil change, and clear it for competition use. ::)

cloud9 said:
Here's the actual excerpt:
BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
Your vehicle requires a break-in period. Drive your new vehicle at least
100 miles (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle maneuvers and at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before performance/competition conditions. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

I broke mine in according to the mototuneusa.com method. I ran up the RPMs hard and then shifted or let the motor decel on its own never maintaining extended WOT runs. I mixed this with "normal" driving but made sure I got some good aggressive accelerations and decelerations during the first 200 miles. Ford's saying don't run WOT and hold it there for any legth of time during the first 100 miles. I also avoided maintaining constant speeds for extended miles until I got to 1000. (e.g. cruise control on the interstate) Now mine's broke in and ready for performance/competition conditions ;D
Yeah WOT is fine just don't stay there. Have you changed the oil yet?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Will change it after this weekend. Should have about 1200 miles on it :)

Will you be able to get any on-track video uploaded? Data logging?

TMO Supporting Vendors