The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How Cold Can You Run R Comps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ugh. We've had one of the warmest and driest Winters on record here in NorCal. It only figures that rain and a high of 55 is forecast for my first track day of the year on March 14th. ::) If it rains I won't run my Nitto NT01's but how cold out can I run them? I'm also driving on them to and from the track. That's almost 15 degrees below normal too. :'(

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/sacramento-ca/95814/daily-weather-forecast/347627?day=12

Rick,

Low chance of rain even with that forecast.....I'm at Sonoma that weekend and look forward to using NT-01s too - in Calfornia sunshine. Let's see what it looks like in a week.

I'd run at 55 degrees with a lengthy warm up each session.

Steve

I have run NT01s a low as the mid 20's. But, you really need to pay attention to building heat into the tire.

If your temps are in the mid 50's you will be fine. Just take an extra lap working your speed up to build heat and pressure.

SDS said:
Rick,

Low chance of rain even with that forecast.....I'm at Sonoma that weekend and look forward to using NT-01s too - in Calfornia sunshine. Let's see what it looks like in a week.

I'd run at 55 degrees with a lengthy warm up each session.

Steve
I'm checking just in case. You know what happened the last time I ran my street tires...Spin and Win. ???

2012-Boss said:
If your temps are in the mid 50's you will be fine. Just take an extra lap working your speed up to build heat and pressure.

This. I usually remind myself to use the heck out of the brakes too. They need to come up to temp to work right, and that's where most of the tire gets it's heat from anyways.

50s is balmy day on the east coast right now. Don't worry about it too much.

Rick,

I drove to and from SP and T-Hill on my Hoosiers and T-Hill was in December of '14 - plenty cold! Once you get out there and like mentioned above, get heat built into the sidewalls and carcass, you'll be well above what a street tire can hold. I typically start off nice and easy and by end of lap 1 I've always been good to go, then again, you've seen how I drive. :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Just be careful when you leave the house and on your warm-up laps. Like mentioned above, use the brakes to help heat the tires, especially the fronts. I also do a little rolling burnout once clear of the starter.

TMO Supporting Vendors