The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How Do I Attach Caliper Brake Lines???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just made a bozo mistake. As I was changing from street tires to slicks, to prep for a track event this week, I also bled all the brakes. That all went fine. As a precaution I was double checking that the bolts on the brakes were properly tighten, as I recently replaced the pads and rotors. When I got to the 4th and last brake (rear left) I forgot to change my torque wrench from 50 to 24 for the 13mm bolts that hold the pads in place. You can guess what happened, I snapped off one of the bolts. Bummer. :'(

I went on the Tousley parts site and placed an order for the replacement caliper. Hopefully they have it or can get it quickly. It appears like instillation of this is simple, assuming I use the right torque setting :p A concern or question I have is reattaching the brake line. It looks like it comes off with one bolt. How do I prevent the brake fluid from draining out after I have removed it? Once I do get it back on, I assume I can bleed that brake to ensure there is no air in the line. Any tricks to this I should know and is this beyond my obviously low skill level?

You do not need a caliper just the caliper pin kit 4U2Z 2386 DA or BRCK-5096 Made in China. I plan to do a write up about this since I recently broke a bolt and had to order this kit. After speaking with the guys at Tousley the new 13 rear calipers are different and all replacement calipers will be the 13 Shelby style. They are also more expensive then the calipers we could get before.

I do not know what the difference is with these new calipers, that has been hard to find out. I am going to replace both my rear calipers with these new ones. It is about time since mine are pretty burned out. The slide pins where the bolts attach are wear items and when I broke mine then compared it to the new, the wear was obvious. I also hear the Grand Am teams are using a modified rear slide pin and need to call a team and ask about it. The guys at PFC told me about this. It is something else to think about when tracking the car. Another spare to have in the track bag now.

If you decide to change the caliper and not just the pins I would suggest getting both sides. It may be a small change but until I find out the difference I would not change just one side myself.

Oh forgot this. When you take the caliper off fluid will leak out, no way to stop this except with your finger or sometimes the bleeder rubber caps can be turned around and fitted into the line, not sure that works on the rears.

You must bleed that brake and you will not have to do the others unless you let so much fluid leak out that there is air all the way up the line where it splits to the opposite rear brake. If that happens you would need to bleed them both.

Scott - Thanks for that info. I changed out my rear brakes to 2013 GT500s late last fall. Surprisingly the caliper is only $80 from Tousley. Now the question is do they have it in stock. Pete also thinks I can save the caliper and reverse out the snapped bolt. I think for now I am going to go with the new one and then see if I can repair the other one for future back-up. I appreciate the guidance on the brake line and fluid!

Guys - Thanks for your help today, including a phone call with Pete!I removed the caliper, and specifically the piece that has the half bolt in it. I was able to do that without disconnecting the brake line. So the fix should be fairly straight forward and may not require dealing with the brake line. Gotta love BMO and you guys for helping me out!!

Wrote that reply quicky before sorry for all the grammar errors, fixed them.

LS110 said:
Scott - Thanks for that info. I changed out my rear brakes to 2013 GT500s late last fall. Surprisingly the caliper is only $80 from Tousley.

Price has gone up, I just paid $96 each with a $50 core, unless you get a better deal in person.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
What's the difference with those calipers given that they use the same size pads (I think...). Different rotor? I don't recall....

LS110 said:
Guys - Thanks for your help today, including a phone call with Pete!I removed the caliper, and specifically the piece that has the half bolt in it. I was able to do that without disconnecting the brake line. So the fix should be fairly straight forward and may not require dealing with the brake line. Gotta love BMO and you guys for helping me out!!
Good to hear John. Now if the weather would only cooperate this weekend.... :'(

My maintenance guy at work was able to remove the broken bolt. Tousley did have another caliper in stock, so now all I need is to get them to sell me just the bolt.

The weather is not changing in our favor. The chance of rain is going in the wrong direction...

LS110 said:
My maintenance guy at work was able to remove the broken bolt. Tousley did have another caliper in stock, so now all I need is to get them to sell me just the bolt.

The weather is not changing in our favor. The chance of rain is going in the wrong direction...
And getting worse by the hour.......this is the winter from hell. Global warming my a$$.

cloud9 said:
And getting worse by the hour.......this is the winter from hell. Global warming my a$$.
Snow too? :eek:

TMO Supporting Vendors