The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

how do i install the race abs module?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remove the old one and install the new one carefully? ;D

Sesshomurai

I never thought of that! Where is it located?!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The ABS module is located on the HCU/distribution block in the driver's front corner of the engine bay.

Remove the radiator cover (6-8 push pins).
Remove the airbox and zip tube, and the snorkel that feeds the lower airbox. Make sure to unplug the MAF.
The ABS module is connected to the ABS distribution block, there are 4 phillips screws that hold it on.
Disconnect the electrical harness using the "lever lock".
Remove those 4 screws, and the factory module comes right off. Have the FRPP module ready-to go nearby so you don't get dust in the contacts of the distribution block.
Put the factory module into the static bag that the FRPP module comes in, for storage.
Carefully place the FRPP module on the distribution block and secure it using the 4 screws you removed earlier.
Reconnect the harness using the "lever lock".
Reattach the snorkel, airbox, and zip tube, reconnect the MAF.
Replace the radiator cover.
Fire up the car and drive. Dash will light up like a christmas tree until you hit about 10mph and the ABS module detects all the speed sensors etc.
You're done.

Total time about 30 mins.

Sesshomurai

ArizonaGT said:
The ABS module is located on the HCU/distribution block in the driver's front corner of the engine bay.

Remove the radiator cover (6-8 push pins).
Remove the airbox and zip tube, and the snorkel that feeds the lower airbox. Make sure to unplug the MAF.
The ABS module is connected to the ABS distribution block, there are 4 phillips screws that hold it on.
Disconnect the electrical harness using the "lever lock".
Remove those 4 screws, and the factory module comes right off. Have the FRPP module ready-to go nearby so you don't get dust in the contacts of the distribution block.
Put the factory module into the static bag that the FRPP module comes in, for storage.
Carefully place the FRPP module on the distribution block and secure it using the 4 screws you removed earlier.
Reconnect the harness using the "lever lock".
Reattach the snorkel, airbox, and zip tube, reconnect the MAF.
Replace the radiator cover.
Fire up the car and drive. Dash will light up like a christmas tree until you hit about 10mph and the ABS module detects all the speed sensors etc.
You're done.

Total time about 30 mins.

Any tips on how to remove the intake snorkel? It seems pretty snug in there.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I installed my 15" GT 500 brakes and think I might need to install this module. I really never got into the ABS under hard braking but while seasoning the rotors this AM I was getting front lock/ABS during moderate braking. Yes it was 40 degrees and on P Zeros but these brakes grab very well. I will see after first track session but might have to join this mod group. Where are the best prices?
Steve

zzyzx

Steve
ArizonaGT, thanks so much for the detailed instructions!

Two questions for you:

1. What is the part # for the FRPP ABS module, and where did you buy it from?

2. Does your traction control still work, or is it permanently disabled with the new ABS module with a TC light that always illuminated? I think I've heard that this will happen, but I'd like to confirm.

Thanks!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
DGRacing said:
Any tips on how to remove the intake snorkel? It seems pretty snug in there.

You need a long flatblade screwdriver; there is a clip on either side as well as a separated clip at top; once you pry loose one of the side clips it will come right off. Look at the assembly on iihs.net if that doesn't make sense.

The PN is http://rehagenracingproducts.com/BOSS-302S-R-UPDATED-ABS-MODULE-W-BRACKET-M-2353-C.htm

Sesshomurai

ArizonaGT said:
You need a long flatblade screwdriver; there is a clip on either side as well as a separated clip at top; once you pry loose one of the side clips it will come right off. Look at the assembly on iihs.net if that doesn't make sense.

The PN is http://rehagenracingproducts.com/BOSS-302S-R-UPDATED-ABS-MODULE-W-BRACKET-M-2353-C.htm

Yeah, I looked on iihs.net but it doesn't give removal details. I figured it out with the 'ol big-ass-flathead-screwdriver-pry-it-out technique.

As much as this was for an earlier car (and a GT500 at that) here's a link to the install of the 'first gen' FRPP module going on to my '09. Should give you a rough idea anyway...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/10663540-post18.html

And some information on it from Jeff Feit, a former Ford engineer that worked on developing the calibration...

Jeff said:
I can tell you that a FR500S module is a significant, measurable improvement over a stock S197 module.

Here (again on the NASA forums) is Jeff responding to some questions about the FR500S module/system...

How does the SN95 ABS unit differ from the S197 unit?

In more ways than I can describe. The S197 is light years more sophisticated. It has dynamic rear proportioning, much more sophisticated control algorithms, the ability to determine lateral acceleration based on the speed difference between left and right side wheels and use it in it's ABS control, the ability to vary the braking effort on all 4 wheels during an ABS event to induce under/oversteer...

How does the FR500S & C differ from the S197 unit?

The FR500C and FR500S units were both specifically calibrated to those cars, on race tracks, with the correct suspension and tires. It is a pure race tuning that doesn't have any of the compromises found in street car ABS.

If folks use in-car proportioning valves, doesn't ABS just become for the "haves & have nots only"?

Not even close.

Can you provide 100 Ford ABS units for all AI competitors at a "group buy" price to ensure everyone is on the same playing field? (OK...no need to answer that.)

I went out of my way 2 years ago to make the FR500S a catalog part that was available to anyone. You can buy it for $200. Put it on anything but a S197 Mustang, however, and the results will not be as good. The difference in wheelbase, track width, suspension, and a number of other parameters mean that it is not optimized to that application. How much different? Nobody knows. But if the rules don't change, I'm going to find out how it works on a Fox body. And retune it if necessary. Oops, did I just say that? :wink:

From this thread.

ON EDIT...be aware that the above post is a couple of years old and that the price has risen a little bit over what Jeff mentioned.

OK I installed this module tonight and "shocker" it didn't work on my car. The ABS light and the yellow skidding car directly to the right of the ABS light flashed yellow at key on. I drove the car for a few minutes and they just continued to flash. Also, I still had to go through the "normal" process of disabling AdvanceTrac by holding the brake and pushing TCS off for 5 seconds. It's supposed to be permanently disabled with this module. I reinstalled the factory module and everything's fine so I'm wondering if I got a defective unit? I emailed Rehagen to see if they've seen this before but I'm wondering what you guys have seen when installing it. From what I've read and talking to the friend of mine that was with me doing the install, he just drove about 10 seconds or less and all the lights went off.

Don't know about the 13's with the LED screen but on the 12's at startup I get the message AdvancedTrac Off and the "yellow skidding car" stays on all the time. I never tried hitting the button to change or turn off AdvancedTrac, maybe it is disabled but still shows the message when you hit it? If you are not getting the message in the dash saying AdvancedTrac Off the you may have a problem, plus the flashing light is not normal. It may have a sequence of flashing to give you a sort of code telling you what is wrong, anything except a steady flash like flash two times fast then a pause and flash three times fast etc etc.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
That sucks to hear, I got the module last week and was planning an install this weekend. Hope it works for me.
Steve

I will cross my fingers for you :)

I talked to Bill at Rehagen this morning and am shipping it back to him to test in one of their cars. He said they have seen a few failures but never right out of the box. If you look at the photo below it will help explain what I was seeing last night. The first photo shows what you normally see when you turn off AdvanceTrac, and what I was expecting to see after installing the module.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

In this second photo (just key on before ignition) you see the ABS light and another yellow skidding car directly to the right of the ABS light (not the one below that's normally on when you disable AdvanceTrac) Those two lights (ABS and yellow car to the right) were flashing steadily even after driving for a few minutes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

So with the module it defaults to AdvanceTrac all the way off, but can you turn it back on should you want to or does it disable it completely.

Brandon302 said:
So with the module it defaults to AdvanceTrac all the way off, but can you turn it back on should you want to or does it disable it completely.
Disabled completely and you can't turn it on which is what I want. It's the first thing I do when I get in the car anyway. For me, I'm tired of it occasionally turning back on while on track! :mad: It happened to me a couple weeks ago during NASA TT forcing me into the pits.

TMO Supporting Vendors