The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How do I remove the plastic cover in front of the oil filter cover?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The covering I am refuring to is located between the oil filter cover and the front splitter. It looks like there are 10 5/16 bolts to remove this cover, can I remove this cover without removing the front splitter?
Thanks

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Pretty sure you can, but not 100% on that. I usually just drop the whole bumper cover assembly...since it's pretty easy.
The cover you want off goes with the assembly. Six bolts four screws and pop the joints to the front fender.

You might also want to note that the bolts are metric. 7mm IIRC on that cover. You don't wan't to round any bolts with the wrong socket.

I have a 13' and just did this on the weekend. It clearly has instruction for removal of the cover. There are 3 screws, and the cover pivots down so you can get to the filter. It also instructs to torque the bolts at 9Nm when finished. Im pretty sure I used a 5/16's socket, but I will keep in mind the 7mm next time. I also accidentally torqued the bolts to 9 ft lbs, but no harm was done besides a loud sound from my 1/4 ratchet :(. Hopefully the ratchet is okay.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
sadil said:
I have a 13' and just did this on the weekend. It clearly has instruction for removal of the cover. There are 3 screws, and the cover pivots down so you can get to the filter. It also instructs to torque the bolts at 9Nm when finished. Im pretty sure I used a 5/16's socket, but I will keep in mind the 7mm next time. I also accidentally torqued the bolts to 9 ft lbs, but no harm was done besides a loud sound from my 1/4 ratchet :(. Hopefully the ratchet is okay.

:) the OP is talking about the cover in front of the oil cover...if *I'm* understanding correctly! ;)

That one comes out- removing four or five (sliver) 7mm screws along the back side including the two outer angled ones and four (black) with fender washers on the front side.
If you have the LS splitter installed it will be a major PITA as you have to drop the splitter to get to the front screws.

Thanks guys, there are 8 bolts that hold it in place, once the bolts are removed you have to fiddle with it to remove it.

I have my Boss on a hoist and have been detailing the undercarriage. I wanted to remove the cover to detail the underside of the motor.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
featurecar50 said:
I have my Boss on a hoist and have been detailing the undercarriage. I wanted to remove the cover to detail the underside of the motor.
nice a man after my own heart lol...dont tell anyone but I detail the underside of my boss from time to time as well

TMO Supporting Vendors