The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How do you remove the shifter knob??

This topic was probably discussed before, but can someone tell me how to remove the factory shift knob. I understand the factory used loc-tite and they are hard to remove. I have tried to use a rubber strap style vise grip, with no luck. Anyone have a method that works with out damaging the shift knob, please let me know. I usually figure things out like this, but I'm lost for a solution.
 
Mine came off in the hot sun. Scary when I shifted into third and it popped off in my hand. M

I believe it's glued on, mine failed due to tolerance/fit issue and Ford has for investigation.

I'm sure someone else will post the technical way but I'd suggest some moderate heat given my experience.
 
I used a rubber strap-wrench and wrapped the shift knob with one of those anti-slip tool drawer mats. and as mentioned, if that doesn't work, heat it up with a heat gun.

Oh and the strap on the wrench failed right when the shifter broke loose. the wrench was a cheap one from harbor freight.
 

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
7,074
4,441
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Heat gun (or hair dryer) and hands. Mine came off fairly easy.

Like FD said, wrap the knob with a material which will hold the knob. This will improve grip and protect the knob.

Replacement knobs are about $50.00.
 

GB218

TMO Addict
67
6
Short answer: use a strap wrench.

I originally tried using a heat gun and spinning it off by hand, but it wouldn't budge. I thought I was going to break the knob/shifter. After 15 minutes I went to plan "B" a strap wrench.

I wrapped the stock shift knob with some anti slip rubber/foam material and used a strap wrench. It spun right off.
 
Boss1601 said:
Mine came off in the hot sun. Scary when I shifted into third and it popped off in my hand. M

I believe it's glued on, mine failed due to tolerance/fit issue and Ford has for investigation.

I'm sure someone else will post the technical way but I'd suggest some moderate heat given my experience.

It's threaded on just like every other shift knob I have seen. Did you buy it used? And I don't remember seeing an insert in the knob, seemed like it was solid and just drilled and tapped. Mine was scary hard to take off even with the strap wrench. Maybe they changed the knob for 2013?
 
24
4
2013 shift knobs are still screwed on with thread locker. Mine was a huge PITA, but a strap wrench did the trick.
 
WinterSucks said:
It's threaded on just like every other shift knob I have seen. Did you buy it used? And I don't remember seeing an insert in the knob, seemed like it was solid and just drilled and tapped. Mine was scary hard to take off even with the strap wrench. Maybe they changed the knob for 2013?

1st owner. Hot July sun in work parking lot. No abuse or prior tweaking. Defective parts. Ford I believe is working towards 6-sigma. Just not there yet.

64-4F442E3A7997-14259-0000215B4ADCD475_zpsb46779ad.jpg
 
Boss1601 said:
1st owner. Hot July sun in work parking lot. No abuse or prior tweaking. Defective parts. Ford I believe is working towards 6-sigma. Just not there yet.

64-4F442E3A7997-14259-0000215B4ADCD475_zpsb46779ad.jpg

Thats amazing consider how hard they are to remove. its the old statement... if you want to remove it, it wont budge and on the other hand it just falls off.
 
Finally was able to do some work on the Boss. Got the shifter knob off safely and installed a Race Red Boss 302 shifter knob from CJ Pony with their black jam nut and a shifter boot cover for a base Mustang and I think it turned out great. I also got the white knob so I can change it every so often.

Thanks to all for the advice on the black ball shifter knob removal, the heat was what was needed.

image.jpg
 
had serious issues trying to get mine off. Havn't tried heat gun or the strap wrench yet, that will be my next project once it warms up.
 
RR2334 said:
Finally was able to do some work on the Boss. Got the shifter knob off safely and installed a Race Red Boss 302 shifter knob from CJ Pony with their black jam nut and a shifter boot cover for a base Mustang and I think it turned out great...
Which jam nut did you order? I ordered this one (CJP part number HW3056) ...hope it works...

hw3056-v_1.702.jpg
 
RR2334 said:
Did you order the black/blue shifter ball, it was on sale for $56.
Yep, that's the one. Went back and forth with that and a Rally II blue w/ black lettering I saw on eBay. Besides being less expensive, I thought the black w/ blue lettering looked classier. 'Cuz we drives the Boss for class factor... :eek:
 
Fiddler49 said:
Yep, that's the one. Went back and forth with that and a Rally II blue w/ black lettering I saw on eBay. Besides being less expensive, I thought the black w/ blue lettering looked classier. 'Cuz we drives the Boss for class factor... :eek:

I am going to get the black/red knob if it ever goes on sale again. I just drive my car to and from cruise nights and getting ice cream with my 2 daughters. May actually do a track day this summer.

I also bring my 1975 GMC that I restored that my father bought brand new. He is now 80 years old and loves going for a cruise in his old truck.

I have lowered the truck 3 inches in the front and 4 inches in the rear since this photo.
image.jpg


Engine compartment now has a chrome alternator and a polished air gap intake. Dyno showed 400 HP at the fly wheel

image.jpg
 
Now how do you get the boot off the extension attached to the Boss shift knob? Is it just held on by elastic? Seems to be on there pretty tight and I don't want to rip the boot. Maybe I'm just overly cautious... :eek:

Edit: Helps to look at pics of the shift boot and note the metal piece where the shift lever comes through. In other words, the extension isn't attached to the boot... ::)
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top